Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

Anyone else get this?

'We are activating your SIM. Refresh your account in a few minutes in order to get it'

I've been getting this message for the last hour.

Probably a stupid question but does the 48 sim card have to be in my phone in order for them to activate my new sim?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just a heads up for anyone who ordered and registered a sim, you have to actually buy membership before March 5th to keep the €10 deal.

This is from an email they sent me
    In the last while you’ve ordered a 48 SIM. So we want to give you a heads up that we’ve got some important changes coming really soon if you’re still thinking about joining 48.

To get to the point, from the 5th of March, our €10 deal of all calls, all texts to any mobile network will not be available to new members. Because you've ordered a SIM but not bought any membership, you’re still not a 48 member.

If you want to get this deal just make sure you become a member before this date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

The new deals are up

http://www.48months.ie/deal

Still very competitive, kinda tempted to switch to the €15 deal but threes €20 offer is still slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

10 euro for texts and 1gb suits me grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm sort of new to data usage, is 1gb good? I'd normally just be streaming some video on my phone and do a good bit of surfing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just a mistake on the link above, the €20 a month is 3GB of internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

For streaming video you would need more than 1GB which is my worry.
    15gb on 3 is more than enough but twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

phasers wrote: »
    I'm sort of new to data usage, is 1gb good? I'd normally just be streaming some video on my phone and do a good bit of surfing
    Why not measure your usage for a week or a month to estimate how much you use? E.g.:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog

Or Android's built in data measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Are the old deals gone now for existing customers ?
    Just seen that the old deals are still there

• Advertisement

€10 standard membership is only available to those who were customers before today:

http://help.48months.ie/entries/23293596-Can-I-still-get-the-10-standard-membership-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

At first glance it all looks horribly complicated! :(

It does a bit but all operators' offerings are complicated in my opinion.

What do you need and how much are you willing to spend? E.g. some people prioritise big data allowances over mobile or landline mins etc. and have a specific budget. What are your requirements?

Just saying they've complicated a very simple offering. I think the simplicity was a huge part of its appeal. I'll be sticking to the €10 deal. €10 for all my mobile calls and texts is a no-brainer.

OK - you mean Standard and VIP was simple but now they have confused things by offering several different membership package levels? Indeed - but that's the way of the world with most service providers isn't it? Have you ever tried comparing your gas/elec package with alternatives e.g. using bonkers.ie?!? Great site but aptly named... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

The 15Gb included with the €15 Mitch looks good, although I can't believe they're trying to get users to opt-in to a messaging app for all their calls and texts. That's going to be about as popular as TB .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

TM wrote: »
    OK - you mean Standard and VIP was simple but now they have confused things by offering several different membership package levels? Indeed - but that's the way of the world with most service providers isn't it? Have you ever tried comparing your gas/elec package with alternatives e.g. using bonkers.ie?!? Great site but aptly named... :(

Ye really confusing,
    If your new to 48 you have 4 options, (well 3 really)
    IF your already with them you can stay on your plan or have a choice of 4 other options.

My head hurts, so confusing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Ye really confusing,
    If your new to 48 you have 4 options, (well 3 really)
    IF your already with them you can stay on your plan or have a choice of 4 other options.

My head hurts, so confusing :rolleyes:

If the internet is unusable then this is a bad deal . My brother inlaw is with 3 & he showed me sky sport on it on his phone & it is perfect . So i am thinking of moving to 3 for the 20 euro deal for the 15gb internet . Has anyone on here tried 48 internet how good is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

I was on three up until this week and I find no difference in the speed of the Internet now that I'm on 48

• Advertisement

Fair point. I guess that service providers are damned if they do (too complicated! can't compare like with like!) and damned if they don't (too little choice! rip-off!)... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Del007 wrote: »
    I was on three up until this week and I find no difference in the speed of the Internet now that I'm on 48
    Any chance you could post a speed test example?
    I've been a happy customer with Three since the start, but I would take a look at 48 if needs be.

The only thing is that I am on a legacy plan and I get free credit, etc.

I've been a happy customer with Three since the start, but I would take a look at 48 if needs be.
    Bear in mind that this is just a single test but ...

ping 212ms
    download 1564kbps
    upload 133kbps

Details: Dublin city centre, 3G (HSDPA:9), Huawei G300 running Stock+ ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

TM wrote: »
    Bear in mind that this is just a single test but ...

ping 212ms
    download 1564kbps
    upload 133kbps

Details: Dublin city centre, 3G (HSDPA:9), Huawei G300 running Stock+ ROM
    Cheers mate. That was a fast reply!

I always thought that 48 were capped at 1Mbps. Apparently not. That's not bad.

Sure, I'm here, in South Dublin, and I am getting:

389788881.png

Looking at it, I'd need the €20 offer, so there's no real incentive to move?

Looking at it, I'd need the €20 offer, so there's no real incentive to move?
    48 €20 membership includes calls to any mobile network at any time. Is that not an advantage over 3's €20 topup offer?

You might want to check the fair usage limits on both too - I don't know what they are offhand.

Oh - 3's fair usage is 3000 texts and 3000 (3 to 3) mins - not sure if there's a limit on weekend any network (mobile and landline?) mins?

http://shop.three.ie/terms/prepay-price-plan-terms-conditions/

48's fair usage is 5000 texts and 3000 any network mobile mins

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/terms#18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

Whos network do 48 use?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Quick question which I cant seem to answer via their website.

If I go with the €10 Guido package and want to go roaming.

They have €2.00 and €3.50 packages, for 20 texts or 10 minutes respectively.

What if I go abroad and dont buy either before going? Will I not be able to text or call at all, or if I do text will it just come out of my account, per text, as for a standard Pay As You Go system? The website isn't really clear on this.

Quick question which I cant seem to answer via their website.

If I go with the €10 Guido package and want to go roaming.

They have €2.00 and €3.50 packages, for 20 texts or 10 minutes respectively.

What if I go abroad and dont buy either before going? Will I not be able to text or call at all, or if I do text will it just come out of my account, per text, as for a standard Pay As You Go system? The website isn't really clear on this.

If you go abroad and don't buy either roaming addon, you'll still be able to text and call, the cost will come out of your credit, so you'll need extra credit on your account.

There's really no advantage in buying the €2 roaming text addon because EU roaming texts are 10c per message anyway, 20 texts costs €2: http://www.48months.ie/pricing

But there is an advantage in buying the €3.50 roaming calls addon because it allows you receive calls free while roaming in EU. Without the addon it costs 9c per min. to receive a call while EU roaming. Effectively with the €3.50 roaming calls addon, you're buying 10 mins of roaming calls in advance (35c per min) and getting "calls free to receive while roaming" as a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aha excellent, thanks for that. Thats what I suspected.

Advertisement