Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on appearance of new site

Options
  • 23-06-2009 1:35pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Was wondering if anyone can give me any opinions regarding how to improve the appearance of my site. www.irishaccounts.com

Thanks

DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

First thing that stood out for me was that it looked like a pdf document. Something about the width of the site that is just wrong.

Just my opinion though. I could be wrong. I am no expert in web design.

Although the content looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

steps_3314 wrote: »
    First thing that stood out for me was that it looked like a pdf document. Something about the width of the site that is just wrong.

Just my opinion though. I could be wrong. I am no expert in web design.

Although the content looks good.

Naw your right . It needs to be full size . Its not finished is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

I think the links in the top right are not too obvious, and the hyperlinks particularly in the 1st vertical bar are tough to read, I'd personally add in another colour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill move this over to the main Web forum as it covers this type of review. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Hi DB,

If you're enjoying the coding challenge, start reading up about HTML / CSS and best coding practices.

Some thoughts on what you could do to refine what you've already got:

- Vary the colour scheme a bit: too much of the one colour.
    - Get rid of the heavy outlines round the boxes - maybe 1px would be better.
    - Make the page wider.
    - Put your photo on the home page - make it more personal.
    - Don't use jpegs for your main navigation - that's why the text appears blurred. Check out css tips (on google) for navigation.
    - Too many keyords on the meta keywords tag - recommended to keep it below 10.
    - On your 8 points of excellence: Put each answer on a new line after the question (possibly with a line space between), and get rid of the underline.
    - Re-read your text, e.g: We will agree a fee with you for every piece of work we do in advance before we start. (Delete 'do in advance' or 'before we start')

I could carry on but the above should give you something to be thinking about.

Alternatively, get a designer to do a rebuild for you - it's a static site so should'nt be too pricey. Or have a look at the free template sites for other ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Sometimes just a second or third pair of eyes is required to spot things that are not apparent to you.

Thanks again everyone.

DB

Advertisement