Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailers in Europe

• 18-08-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm interested in buying a motorbike trailer for a trip to europe next sept.
    I've done a bit of reading up and heard that in Europe a trailer needs to be e marked, somone mentioned that since 2012 in Ireland this was the case?

Does anyone know what the requirements are for trailers in Europe?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ianx

I'm not sure what your question is, but if you buy a bike trailer at a reputable dealer in France etc it should be fine to import. I got one in Norauto a couple of years ago and just towed it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

How about one of THESE and have a look at how they work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X-NsNFDMdE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

niloc1951 wrote: »
    How about one of THESE and have a look at how they work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X-NsNFDMdE

Whats it like at 120kph i wonder ?

elaverty wrote: »
    Whats it like at 120kph i wonder ?

I've seen quite a few in France and their motorway speed limit is 130 kph.
    Remember these kind of 'trailers' can't sway or jack-knife like the regular type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

one thing to remember is that once you have a trailer attached your speed limit is 90km/hr, not 120 in this country. I am assuming its no different in europe.
    might be worth looking at a carrier instead, if the bike is light enough to stick on it ???

• Advertisement

cir287 wrote: »
    one thing to remember is that once you have a trailer attached your speed limit is 90km/hr, not 120 in this country. I am assuming its no different in europe.
    might be worth looking at a carrier instead, if the bike is light enough to stick on it ???

Yes you are right.
    However the following is a response I received from Minister Varadkar's office in response to a query if the speed limit for light trailers would be reviewed upwards as part of the current re-assessment of speed limits. For example, in France if the combined weight of a car/trailer does not exceed 3,500kg the speed limit is the same as a solo car.

From an engineering perspective, vehicles towing trailers are inherently less stable than those not towing trailers and hence, lower speed limits alleviate the possibility of a trailer “snaking” i.e. swaying from side to side which could possibly lead to a jack knife situation. Vehicle and trailer combinations are subject to reduced speed limits which takes account of this and also the ability of the vehicle to brake safely in an emergency situation.

As the reasons quoted for the requirement of the 80kph limit do not apply to the Ezetow type of 'trailer' is the limit enforceable in law.

There are a number of precedents where prosecutions have failed because it has been successfully shown that 'the offence' was not within the 'mischief' which needed to be addressed when the legislators were drafting the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Don't forget to make sure your towing vehicles towbar is plated, the french cops have been known to check these.

Advertisement