Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

ultain wrote: »
    I dunno..I thaught it was a pretty clever little flick, nice wee twist.

I hate watching movies just for the twist though. It can come off as very lazy story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Defendor - Class film

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Just watched How to train a dragon

Wasn't expected much but very good animation film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Eastern Promises'

One of Cronenberg's more "normal" affairs. Like 'A History of Violence', 'Eastern Promises' takes a more direct route in its story telling. The Canadian director seems to have ditched the more surreal elements in favor of a straighter edge and it's working well too. 'Eastern Promises' tells the story of a London midwife (Naomi Watts) from a Russian background who helps with the birth of a baby girl from a 14 year old Russian mother. The mother dies giving birth, but the baby lives. In the possession of the mother is her diary, written in Russian, that reveals a terrible past. Watt's character decides to investigate and becomes involved in the sinister goings on in the Russian mafia.

This is a very good, but slow building "crime" story with a great cast including Viggo Mortensen, Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller stahl. It also has one of the best and most painful looking fights I seen in a long time.
    Takes place in a bath house with lino cutters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the outlaw josey wales , IMO , clints greatest movie and one of the best westerns ever made , my favourite scene has to be where late on in the movie , clint encounters a bounty hunter in a bar , bounty hunter leaves for a bit but returns , telling clint he had to come back , to which clint replies , I KNOW !

less always equaled more with clint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

Chaplin (1992)

I always love Robert Downey Jr's performances and this has to be one of his best. Plays Chaplin with such ease, it was remarkable.
    Amazing film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Requiem for a Vampire a strange, slow but not without interest early film by French horror auteur Jean Rollin. Best in the first half when there are no more than a handful of sentences spoken. Rollin creates a dreamlike atmosphere as our two heroines drift through the French countryside seeking some sort of refuge. The clunky dubbed dialogue of the 2nd half robs the film of its fantasy. Note the review linked above is for the uncensored version which Film 24, where I saw this, were hardly going to show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dorothy Mills - Had to turn it off, didn't like it at all, nor the stereotypical Irish ''island folk''.

The Crazies - Should be called ''The Crapsies''.

Dorothy Mills - Had to turn it off, didn't like it at all, nor the stereotypical Irish ''island folk''.

The Crazies - Should be called ''The Crapsies''.

Wuh...sounds like someone had some bad chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Went to see it today,good escapist fun.But was'nt as good as i was expecting.No way as good as disneys other blockbuster Pirates of the caribbean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched Daybreakers earlier tonight. Turned out to be better than I expected it would be. An interesting take on the vampire tale,
    with vampires being the majority species and humans the minority
    . It did rip off an awful lot of ideas from other films, in quite a blatant manner at times, but ticked along nicely.

Would have loved to have seen it expand on a few things that were briefly mentioned or shown,
    like the infected chimp
    which hinted at the vampire virus being able to effect anything living, but considering the budget was small in modern terms, I suppose it was not plausible or cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just watched The Road. Now maybe its just me but surely this is one of the most overrated movies ever?! Granted the performances were good but the movie itself did absolutely nothing for me. Certainly doesn't strike me as something I'll be watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Kick ass - 5*

Everyone said this movie was brilliant and it lived up to the expectation. Amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I just watched Youth In Revolt...Based on a 4 star review.....it was one star....my big brown one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Waterloo'

A 1970 Russian/Italian production about the famous final battle of Napoleon in 1815. Starring Rod Steiger in a scenery chewing role as France's greatest military leader and Christopher Plummer as Lord Wellington. Some of the acting is way over the top at times, but strangely seems to suit the whole film. Directed by Sergei Bondarchuk, the film at times has a really odd quality about it that's hard to explain. Parts of the first hour feel like some bloated stage play. Bondarchuk, who was never a truly great director, does well enough in the project as a whole. But, where he really succeeds and it's what makes the film worth watching, is in the spectacular battle scenes during the second hour (as he did with his previous film 'War and Peace'). The producers managed to gather 20,000 Russian troops for filming, decked them out in the uniforms of France, Britain and Prussia and threw them into a field in the Ukraine full of explosions, smoke and horses. Shot in the days before CGI, everything you see on screen was shot for real and when you think about the work that must have gone into filming those scenes, it's truly amazing. The battle of Waterloo pounds with cannons, muskets and charging cavalry and for the most part, the film sticks to the history quite well. Although at times, parts of the battle can seem quite leisurely (especially during the attack on Hougoumont), on the whole it's difficult to downplay. It does help to be a little familiar with the battle, but 10 minutes on the web will sort that out. Special mention must go to the costumes and sets which are incredible and go a long way to capturing the feel of the period. 'Waterloo' certainly isn't the best film you'll ever see, but it is one of the best films about the Napoleonic Wars you'll ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Unthinkable & Kick Ass.

Both really enjoyable films for completely different reasons.

unthinkable is a quality psychological thriller and kick ass is a funny original superhero movie.

Both recommended !

:D

Leaving las Vegas - good but depressing! Gotta love Elizabeth Shue:)

Law Abiding Citizen

Decent enough for the first hour or so but then the movie just kinda ran out of steam and the ending was a bit tame. Better than I thought it would be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Leaving las Vegas - good but depressing! Gotta love Elizabeth Shue:)

That's an amazing movie, one of my favourites. Pity Elizabeth Shue kept a low enough profile since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I watched Martyrs last night.

It's so tough to keep watching it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

JohnK wrote: »
    Just watched The Road. Now maybe its just me but surely this is one of the most overrated movies ever?! Granted the performances were good but the movie itself did absolutely nothing for me. Certainly doesn't strike me as something I'll be watching again.

I thought it was one of the most moving films I've ever seen - almost brought me to tears and that's saying something believe me. Do you have kids John? Maybe that makes a difference for how it resonates with different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

just watched Sherlock Holmes. 7/10 in my opinion, good banter between downey junior and law and some nice action set pieces.
    Anyone know who played the aprt of Professor Moriarty??

Watched Up last nite. Very enjoyable, gotta love that dog, "point"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ViennaShamrock

Alvin and the chipmunks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know who played the aprt of Professor Moriarty??
    From Wikipedia:
    Director Guy Ritchie declined to say who voiced the character of Professor Moriarty. Rumors suggested that the part was voiced by Brad Pitt, who has been reported to have expressed strong interest in the sequel. Actor Ed Tolputt is credited as "Anonymous Man" although it is not clear if this refers to Moriarty.

Unthinkable - Really good imo

The Book of Eli - Also worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Watched 'Coraline' yesterday. I thought it was brilliant, I loved every minute of it. Quite disturbing for young kids though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

the Keep

Michael Mann film with Gabriel byrne playing a SS officer along with Ian McKellen about a evil sprit in a castle in Romania during WW2. good film a bit honky in places ( the effects haven't aged well) but as with a Mann film you know its going to be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watched un prophete, very good movie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The Book of Eli
    Lovely desaturated art style like Terminator Salvation. Unfortunately the film is really, really boring. Even though I thought The Road was really depressing, the road was far more interesting. Great to see Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson of ROME fame) getting work.

The Road
    Depressingly bleak outlook set in a post-apocalyptic world. The pace is swift; showing how terrible humanity could/would be in this given scenario. The only problem (besides the film being so depressing) is the course of action taken by Viggo. For his character I guess it's all about aimlessly prolonging life, and not quality of it. Very well made film, but it's the most depressing film I've seen in a long time.

The Wolf (2010)
    I love horror films, but this period slasher wasn't particularly entertaining. The cast are a rather unlikeable lot. Benicio del Toro's the main character, and really is just 'there'; nothing special or endearing about him. Hugo Weaving gives his best ole-timey 'Agent Smith' impression, while Anthony Hopkins' performance doesn't really match his dialogue. He was cold and emotionless, which was a little bizarre. It's an odd case of no-one endearing themselves to the audience. It wasn't that interesting either; the historical significance, or 'rules of being a werewolf' aren't explored, which was a shame. Wouldn't recommend.

Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    Interesting film, which continually went downhill, bottoming out when Alice changed into shiny armour, and Johnny Depp did an awful jig to some truly awful pseudo dance music. I find the use of real people against completely CG backgrounds really unappealing. It was more 'hey, wasn't the original film great, when you were last here' than a movie that could stand on it's own. I guess it had too much to live up to (comparing it to the excellent 1951 animated film) ...and Tim Burton was really out of ideas. There is zero creativity on display.

Johnny Depp really missed the mark with his performance/portrayal of the Mad Hatter, I thought he would've been excellent....and Helena Bonnam-Carter picks up another paycheck. I wish she was as deliciously charmingly evil as other wicked queens before her, but alas it was a poor effort as well.

I have other gripes with the film, but overall I was disappointed, and wouldn't recommend. I had low expectations but ultimately found it was a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

THE BOOK OF ELI is amazing !!!!! one of the best films iv seen !!! just great

i recommend it to everyone

atticus ross did a great job on this score !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement