Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought a Kindle Fire from Carphone Warehouse

• 05-11-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

So I've just bought a Kindle Fire in Carphone Warehouse in Portlaoise and I can't download any apps or anything based on my region? What's the story here? Why is the appstore not working in Ireland? WTF are Carphone Warehouse doing selling a device that wont work here? :mad:

I know I can root it and flash a new rom to get google play and the google apps etc on it but this was for the missus and I was under orders not to tinker with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Why didn't you just get the nexus 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Why didn't you just get the nexus 7?

Not really helpful there tbh :rolleyes:

Nexus 7 is on my wishlist. The missus wanted the fire cos it's nearly €100 cheaper and suits what she wanted (i.e ebook reader, simple browser, few game apps etc) So seeing as how it has none of the above, it's going to be brought back for a refund.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I imagine they'll be getting most of them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

adser53 wrote: »
    Not really helpful there tbh :rolleyes:

Nexus 7 is on my wishlist. The missus wanted the fire cos it's nearly €100 cheaper and suits what she wanted (i.e ebook reader, simple browser, few game apps etc) So seeing as how it has none of the above, it's going to be brought back for a refund.

My understanding of the fire is its not a dedicated e reader.. you will be reading off a screen similar to a tablet. Different beast entirely than the kindle eReader.. i think the fire is trying to enter tablet market rather than eReader?

If i were you i would bring it back to be honest.. get a dedicated eReader (The new Kindle paperwhite maybe?) and she can use your nexus 7 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

How much was fire? Nexus 7 is only 209 in HMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Well Carphone Warehouse seem to be in a bit of a panic over this :/ It's the first shipment they've gotten of them so I reckon they'll be pulled off the shelves asap! Can you imagine getting it now as an xmas pressie for someone and then it not working when they open it Christmas morning?!

On the plus side, bringing it back won't be a problem and Carphone Warehouse are being very helpful about it.

I have found a workaround so I'm going to see how this pans out tonight and if I'm in any doubt I'll bring it back tomorrow.

As for the cost, it was €160 and the cheapest I'd seen the nexus 7 32gb was for €250. Good to know its cheaper in HMV but Im guessing that's the 16gb version?

Like I said, I'll see how tonight goes and what carphone warehouse have to say for themselves when they ring back but I think I'll just bring it back and get herself a different android tablet and get my nexus 7 when the funds allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

adser53 wrote: »
    Well Carphone Warehouse seem to be in a bit of a panic over this :/ It's the first shipment they've gotten of them so I reckon they'll be pulled off the shelves asap! Can you imagine getting it now as an xmas pressie for someone and then it not working when they open it Christmas morning?!

On the plus side, bringing it back won't be a problem and Carphone Warehouse are being very helpful about it.

I have found a workaround for anyone interested so I'm going to see how this pans out tonight and if I'm in any doubt I'll bring it back tomorrow.

Using http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/gen-male-en-uk.php I was able to set up a new amazon.co.uk account using the details generated by this. It also gives a fake credit card number that fools the website into thinking its a genuine card. Now I won't be able to use that credit card to buy anything but it gave me access to the appstore. So I'm guessing I can buy a gift card from my proper amazon account to top up the fake one and then be able to buy stuff.

As for the cost, it was €160 and the cheapest I'd seen the nexus 7 32gb was for €250. Good to know its cheaper in HMV but Im guessing that's the 16gb version?

Like I said, I'll see how tonight goes and what carphone warehouse have to say for themselves when they ring back but I think I'll just bring it back and get herself a different android tablet and get my nexus 7 when the funds allow it.

Yeah it was the 16gb. But that was fine for me. Haven't struggled yet and I've had it two months! Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

which kindle fire is it? the missus wants the new hd for xmas currently has the original didnt think they were selling them over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I work in Carphone Warehouse and did not know this. Thanks for the heads up.

Advertisement