Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus vs iPad

Options
  • 07-11-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Was thinking nexus 7 or ipad mini. Web browsing. Lots of apps. Maybe odd movie not hd. Which do you think will be best for my needs . Where can I go to see both preferably in blanch sc was thinking Vodafone hmv Carphone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I saw this earlier might help you out. Personal I think I would go for the N7, €200 for 16gb cant go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Its all really depends on which eco system your invested in, posting this in the android forum , you're bound to get some biased opinions. (Get the nexus 7, much better device ;))

But if you have all your apps on iOS then it may be better to get an ipad mini. Though the n7 is a better device over all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nexus 7 without a shadow of a doubt.
    I have an iPad and N7 and much prefer the Android Ecosystem. Anyone who says the App Store is better than Google Play needs their head examined.
    Vanilla ?Jelly Bean Android is a fantastic system and, in my opinion, nicer to use than iOS6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Why waste money on an inferior product? Do yourself a favour and get the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Depends what operating system you're used to, but if you're "coming in from the cold" as it were the N7 is your only man.

I really cant see the point of the iPad mini. Its horrendously overpriced and brings nothing to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Heroditas wrote: »
    . Anyone who says the App Store is better than Google Play needs their head examined.

Why?
    I use both the ipad and the S3 and the App store is streets ahead for the Ipad than the Nexus.
    Phones yes..both are just as good but it's on the tablet market where Apple really lead.

I just don't like the layout of it and don't find it as responsive as the Play Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Is iPad not still streets ahead in terms of app selection?

RTE Player, SKY Go, Flipboard (think this one is on Android now), Film ON TV, The Journal, Netflix (surely is), SKY +, Sky News

I just don't like the layout of it and don't find it as responsive as the Play Store.

I agree on that...since the redesign it's laggy I find.
    But on the app side it's still streets away. A lot of which is to do with security which is why a lot of businesses fear bringing android devices as a BYOD and Apple are taking advantage of this and pushing security etc as a key point for businesses. When you look at the medical app integration it's phenomenal on the ipad. Google should really segregate or lock down their play store for the business side of things to allay those security fears etc.
    Another thing is that app store users buy way more content etc on ipad/iphone..it's around 80% of users which is pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Is iPad not still streets ahead in terms of app selection?

RTE Player, SKY Go, Flipboard (think this one is on Android now), Film ON TV, The Journal, Netflix (surely is), SKY +, Sky News
    Skygo is the only one that is not on Android tablets yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Skygo is the only one that is not on Android tablets yet.

Sky Go and FilmonTV are on the Android app store.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Blazer wrote: »
    Why?
    I use both the ipad and the S3 and the App store is streets ahead for the Ipad than the Nexus.
    Phones yes..both are just as good but it's on the tablet market where Apple really lead.

I couldn't go back to iphone, but I still wouldn't touch an android tablet owing to the app situation - which is unfortunate as android is a much better os and the hardware has finally caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Unless your going to wait for the new NEW iPad Mini next year which will probably have a HD Screen, NFC, widgets, better notifications, multiple user accounts and maps which don't get you lost then I'd get the Nexus 7.

For the apps mentioned above by others.
    The SkyGo app isn't working on the latest version of Android, Jelly Bean, as it doesn't support Flash by default. I remember reading an official statement back around September (which I can't find now) stating they are working on a new video encryption or something like that. Anyway they say on the Google Play Store they are now testing and should be released soon. It's a similar problem with RTE. If you add Flash you can use the RTE Player website but no app but I'd expect one soon too as RTE are investing heavily in mobile devices. FilmOn is in the Play Store and I use it regularly on my Nexus 7 as I do Netflix. The Sky+ app works fine (the first intro splash screen looks poor but the rest of the app works perfectly). Flipboard is awesome on the Nexus 7 and I don't like the Journal so don't know about it's app and use RTE News instead of Sky News so not sure of that either.

Looks like Android tablets are catching up ... but they still seem a little off.

I was ready to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab just over 18 months ago, until I looked at the app selection. Ended up getting the iPad 2 and haven't looked back.

It seems that Developers still get out IOS apps as a priority and Android then later.

Besides the app selection ... the OS upgrade path also swung it. You have no idea how many future revisions of Andriod you will get.
    Have gotten 2 upgrades of IOS since I bought it ... .and will probably get at least a couple of more.

The Surface will be an interesting addition ... but would not take a risk on 1st gen

Dudda wrote: »
    Unless your going to wait for the new NEW iPad Mini next year which will probably have a HD Screen, NFC, widgets, better notifications, multiple user accounts and maps which don't get you lost then I'd get the Nexus 7.

For the apps mentioned above by others.
    The SkyGo app isn't working on the latest version of Android, Jelly Bean, as it doesn't support Flash by default. I remember reading an official statement back around September (which I can't find now) stating they are working on a new video encryption or something like that. Anyway they say on the Google Play Store they are now testing and should be released soon. It's a similar problem with RTE. If you add Flash you can use the RTE Player website but no app but I'd expect one soon too as RTE are investing heavily in mobile devices. FilmOn is in the Play Store and I use it regularly on my Nexus 7 as I do Netflix. The Sky+ app works fine (the first intro splash screen looks poor but the rest of the app works perfectly). Flipboard is awesome on the Nexus 7 and I don't like the Journal so don't know about it's app and use RTE News instead of Sky News so not sure of that either.

strange about the SKyGO app...Apple doesn't support flash either and it works fine on that.

strange about the SKyGO app...Apple doesn't support flash either and it works fine on that.

That's because Sky got the finger out and developed a solution.
    They seem notoriously slow at getting it out for Android. I waited months for Sky Go to work on ICS and as soon as it worked, my phone upgraded to Jellybean the next day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thats not a flash issue, its a Sky issue. They are absolutely useless at upgrading their apps for android. which is hilarious considering the skew in ownership recently to android.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sky Go is based on Microsoft Silverlight, not flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

(This is OP)
    I dont have sky, I have UPC so sky Go doesnt matter.
    I have an android phone HTC One S, because the android apps actually fit it. It is faster than iphone and in real life tests faster than S3. Its also alot cheaper.

Im no idiot/am fairly good on computers and 'gadgets' so 'learning/getting used to' iOS or Android wont be a problem since iOS is the easiest thing ever and I already have Android.

From what I have seen on my uncles iPad (original) the apps completely fit the screen and things like Facebook are designed for the OS size. Most android tablet apps are just stretched out phone ones.

Ipad mini - looks good/build quality, apps/app build quality, fluidity, size(maybe for apps,video etc)
    Android - rubberised back (easier to hold), size (portability), so much CHEAPER!, processor (maybe - real life tests), more integrated apps (dont use much on phone though)

PS - I wont be putting it in my pocket so the nexus 7 size doesnt matter alot
    PPS - people saying updates for android are a doubt, they are important but considering its a nexus/google own brand (manu. by Asus) you will get updates for ages and AMAZING developement

Bear minimum comparison
    ipad for apps
    nexus for price

WHICH ONE!?

multimate wrote: »
    (This is OP)
    I dont have sky, I have UPC so sky Go doesnt matter.
    I have an android phone HTC One S, because the android apps actually fit it. It is faster than iphone and in real life tests faster than S3. Its also alot cheaper.

Im no idiot/am fairly good on computers and 'gadgets' so 'learning/getting used to' iOS or Android wont be a problem since iOS is the easiest thing ever and I already have Android.

From what I have seen on my uncles iPad (original) the apps completely fit the screen and things like Facebook are designed for the OS size. Most android tablet apps are just stretched out phone ones.

Ipad mini - looks good/build quality, apps/app build quality, fluidity, size(maybe for apps,video etc)
    Android - rubberised back (easier to hold), size (portability), so much CHEAPER!, processor (maybe - real life tests), more integrated apps (dont use much on phone though)

PS - I wont be putting it in my pocket so the nexus 7 size doesnt matter alot
    PPS - people saying updates for android are a doubt, they are important but considering its a nexus/google own brand (manu. by Asus) you will get updates for ages and AMAZING developement

Bear minimum comparison
    ipad for apps
    nexus for price

WHICH ONE!?

Great summary OP!

One other thing to consider ... resell value :)

If other apple products are anything to go by .... they do hold their value .. a lot!

Also have you considered the iPad 2?
    You can pick up a refurb for €319

• Advertisement

multimate wrote: »

There's quite a few apps that are simply the iPhone app transferred to the iPad.
    Also, no iPad YouTube app - just the iPhone one you can "stretch" to x2 to partly fill the iPad screen.

I love the Nexus and there are definitely things I like abut the iPad. If I had a choice between the iPad 7 and Nexus 7 - I'd go for the Nexus but a potential deal breaker would be that the Sky Go app doesn't work on the Nexus.

There's quite a few apps that are simply the iPhone app transferred to the iPad.
    Also, no iPad YouTube app - just the iPhone one you can "stretch" to x2 to partly fill the iPad screen.

I love the Nexus and there are definitely things I like abut the iPad. If I had a choice between the iPad 7 and Nexus 7 - I'd go for the Nexus but a potential deal breaker would be that the Sky Go app doesn't work on the Nexus.

All iPhone apps run on the iPad (in X2) mode but I wouldn't consider these ipad apps as such.
    True about the YouTube app - Google haven't delivered an iPad app yet but there are other apps that will deliver YouTube (some even nice than native app) such as Jasmine

Great summary OP!

One other thing to consider ... resell value :)

If other apple products are anything to go by .... they do hold their value .. a lot!

Also have you considered the iPad 2?
    You can pick up a refurb for €319

I was thinking ipad 2 but for 10 quid more you get same processor, ram, screen quality just in a small and imo a better size screen. As far as I know better camera too and the stretched iPhone apps will suit the screen size better. I know apple refurbs are like new but for spending that much I might as well get something new

I know that but 225,000 speaks for itself and are better suited for the screen. Don't get me wrong I do love android but ipad seems far superior for app. Android is much more customisable, but I only use the apps drawer my Android even though htc sense hands down has best DROID widgets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Flipboard (think this one is on Android now)

The shìtty phone version.

Also, for anyone who might want to use a tablet as a midi/OSC controller for music making or visual controls, Android is still sub-par.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think it comes down to a few different things trying to decide on which one. First i'd look at which OS I prefer. Android or iOS. Atm I think both are on level par, both have features the other doesn't so maybe decide which one you'd like.

Another thing to consider is price. iPad mini is coming in at a much higher price than the Nexus 7. Nexus has better specs, iPad mini (imo) has a better build quality and design. Which would you really need?

Both will more than likely be future proofed for the next 3 years or so with updates. iPad will obviously get the updates right away when everyone else gets it. But the Nexus will probably be close enough. Maybe a little longer (days for weeks) it's hard to say.

Maybe try a pros and cons list for both and see which you prefer. Your coming from using an Android device so you'd probably be better suited for the Nexus 7 though. It's priced much lower and has better specs. Apps I wouldnt say would be as much of a problem as say the Nexus 10. Both will do fine for what you want though.

Advertisement