Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help updating a rooted S3

Options
  • 30-10-2012 9:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm rooted using Chainfire method on my S3 and I would like to update to the latest firmware. I'm currently on 4.0.4

I've tried to update OTA but it said its failed and to try kies.

Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how I can update my firmware please.

I've done a nandroid backup so I'm ready to update, but I'm not too sure on how to do so.

cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

Where can I download Jellybean update??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

I'm rooted using Chainfire method on my S3 and I would like to update to the latest firmware. I'm currently on 4.0.4

I've tried to update OTA but it said its failed and to try kies.

Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how I can update my firmware please.

I've done a nandroid backup so I'm ready to update, but I'm not too sure on how to do so.

cheers

I'm guessing we're distantly related :D

Are you looking to unroot to get the standard update?

nicebutdim wrote: »

I'm guessing we're distantly related :D

Are you looking to unroot to get the standard update?

Lol!!!

No I'm just looking to update to latest update which is 4.1.2 I think.

I don't mind which way as long as I can get root back easily and go from there.

Any suggestions cousin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just manually download the update rom, then flash it. Very simple to do seeing as you have already some experience with this.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Just manually download the update rom, then flash it. Very simple to do seeing as you have already some experience with this.

Flash it via odin or CWM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

kingtiger wrote: »

Is this correct? Is that Siyah kernal needed to root the phone after the Jellybean update?

Op should check out supernexus ROM as well. Its meant to be super. I'm giving it a shot next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

no its not but its a very nice kernel (you can just use cf root or whatever, but its pretty much the same difference to install that kernel as it comes pre-rooted). increases volumes i think (removes limits) and allows you mess with cpu settings should you so choose to under or overclock. the phone can apparently run at 1.6ghz with no issues and the overclocking gives an extra boost to those benchmark tests pushing it well up. i hafnt used it as i dont see a need on this phone :)

second to that about the kernel you can dual boot with it - quite easy to do also.
    i have both the stock rom above and cyanogenmod (android 4.1.2) running on my phone. its a case of restart phone and when its turning on, press the home button to start second rom, or it boots the primary.
    it does use up an extra 2-3gb of space ofc.

will be very useful for messing with JB 4.2 when it comes out, i guess next week on roms. im really looking forward to that sphere cam or whatever its called and i hope its on the roms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

kingtiger wrote: »

I'm just about to install the 4.1 update on my s3. To get my root back, can I just install the Siyah rooted kernel and I'm good to go?

Will I be back just stock ROM? Any links to a suitable ROM for me to flash?

Advertisement