Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Musicians

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone!

Does anybody know if there are any gatherings in Galway where people can just meet fellow musicians? Or things like workshops etc. And if not, would anyone be willing to help me co-organise one :P Could just be something simple like a few pints and a chat! I think it would be useful to have a bit of a support network going for amateur/aspiring musicians in the Galway area, and the potential of meeting some new bandmates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't know of one personally. I vaguely recall something in Arus Na nGael a few years ago but I've no idea if it's still going. I might be interested in attending and I could probably bring some gear (guitar and bass amps and some guitars too) but unfortunately I haven't really got the time to help organise anything for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

TotalBetty wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Does anybody know if there are any gatherings in Galway where people can just meet fellow musicians? Or things like workshops etc. And if not, would anyone be willing to help me co-organise one :P Could just be something simple like a few pints and a chat! I think it would be useful to have a bit of a support network going for amateur/aspiring musicians in the Galway area, and the potential of meeting some new bandmates!

Are you talking about a jam session type thing, or a songwriter type thing or a music business type thing or an all of the above type thing?

A couple of us have started the Galway Musicians Co-op (we have a Facebook page, look there for info) it's new, but we have had a few meetings last year and are going to start 2012 meetings again, probably next week. Contact us via the FB page or here if interested. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TotalBetty

Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely check ye out on FB bluevoice!

I was really just looking to meet some fellow musicians in any field/genre - I play keyboards/piano and sing but I have no connections within the Galway music scene whatsoever so was really just hoping to network and make a few friends, maybe meet some people who might be interested in forming a band. It would be a very non-professional gathering, just a few drinks and see where it goes from there!

ETA: The Galway Musicians Co-Op looks perfect!

TotalBetty wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely check ye out on FB bluevoice!

I was really just looking to meet some fellow musicians in any field/genre - I play keyboards/piano and sing but I have no connections within the Galway music scene whatsoever so was really just hoping to network and make a few friends, maybe meet some people who might be interested in forming a band. It would be a very non-professional gathering, just a few drinks and see where it goes from there!

ETA: The Galway Musicians Co-Op looks perfect!

Great stuff - we'll post there where/when of the meet on the FB page as soon as we finalise it! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

I think this is a great idea. It would be great to meet other musicians, network, jam etc.

Bluevoice let us know when the meet up is happening. I liked the fb page.

If you need any help with organising, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Okay, I've spoken to the other musicians interested and we've decided on meeting at The Townhouse. Now we only need to decide what day and what time! When's good for ye? I can tell you that for this week I'm grand for Sunday, Monday, all day - Tuesday daytime, Thursday before seven and all day Friday or Sat.

Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

bluevoice wrote: »
    Okay, I've spoken to the other musicians interested and we've decided on meeting at The Townhouse. Now we only need to decide what day and what time! When's good for ye? I can tell you that for this week I'm grand for Sunday, Monday, all day - Tuesday daytime, Thursday before seven and all day Friday or Sat.

Any ideas?

Monday evening, 5 or 6? I'll be busy Monday from 12 to 3pm. I'm usually free Tuesday to Friday during the day, but busy during the evening. Tend to be busy at the weekends as well. Probably won't be able to do Saturday or Sunday.

I can compromise though If I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TotalBetty

I could probably make it Monday evening as well? Not a definite but a very likely! :)

Okay!

Sorry this is so late in the day, but just heard back from another musician...we'll have our first Galway Musicians Co-Op meet of the year tomorrow evening at The Townhouse at 5.

I hope everyone can make it...I'll put it up on the facebook page too.

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy in the evenings for the next couple of weeks and Mondays in general don't suit me but hope it all works out for you folks. I might make it along in February.

• Advertisement

Had a great meeting tonight of the Galway Musicians Co-Op. Will post new things up on the Facebook page. Any Galway bands/musicians, please come and find us on FB, and join us if you'd like - we have great ideas that we're putting in motion, and we want to get the G.M.C. off the ground running - the more the merrier, as they say!

Glad to hear it went well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aodh90

Hey i dont have facebook so I cant really get a look in at what you're all doing lol but I play a lot of music and have just recently moved down from belfast....This all sounds like a great idea and i'd love to join yas

Advertisement