Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Travel Pass

• 20-04-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to go to London in July for a weekend and I was looking at buses to London via ferry with Eurolines. Does anyone know if I can use my Free Travel Pass with them or do I have to pay as a normal passenger?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I'm planning to go to London in July for a weekend and I was looking at buses to London via ferry with Eurolines. Does anyone know if I can use my Free Travel Pass with them or do I have to pay as a normal passenger?

I'm afraid you'll have to dig deep for this journey..HMG only recognises our FTP in Northern Ireland,and then only if you apply for their Senior Smartpass.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'm afraid you'll have to dig deep for this journey..HMG only recognises our FTP in Northern Ireland,and then only if you apply for their Senior Smartpass.

HMG?

Understood, I know you can use it in Northern Ireland, just wasn't sure if Eurolines accept it or not in UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

HMG?

Her majesty's government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

HMG?

Understood, I know you can use it in Northern Ireland, just wasn't sure if Eurolines accept it or not in UK

Her Majestys Government

All in seriously you would be laughed at presenting a ftp for flights or other to the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

What's HMG to do with it? It's an Irish service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

corktina wrote: »
    We don't send an Irish ticket inspector along.

Gatling wrote: »
    Her Majestys Government

All in seriously you would be laughed at presenting a ftp for flights or other to the uk

Eurolines is a bus service that runs from Dublin to London and Leeds with stops on the way...? I'm not asking if I can fly with a FTP..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Although they operate it within Ireland, Eurolines isn't actually a Bus Eireann service so they won't honour DSP passes.

I didn't say it is and I didn't say they would.....

Yeah..I suppose in a kindofasortofa way it is an Irish..ey service .....

http://www.eurolines.com/en/

Mind you Bus Eireann do offer a comprehensive set of stuff here....http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=368 without,it seems,specifically mentioning the Free Travel Scheme ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

If you book a return from Ireland, it has nothing to do with HMG, or any UK operator.Is that clearer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you book a return from Ireland, it has nothing to do with HMG, or any UK operator.Is that clearer?

Apart from the UK bus company who run the services on the Queens Highway, that is :)

So I could travel with my FTP if I present the pass to the ticket person for Eurolines? Is that what you are getting at?

No I don't think you can use it at all on that service

Apart from the UK bus company who run the services on the Queens Highway, that is :)

But he would already have a ticket so what's the relevance?

But he would already have a ticket so what's the relevance?

The only relevance I can suggest is that the Ticket would have been Paid for ?

Reinventing the wheel a bit on this Thread.....the OP's question was if he could use the Irish Free Travel Pass on the Dublin/London Eurolines service.

The answer is No.

But,there's always room for a new thread.... ;)

It was you who brought HMG into it! If you get a ticket via Bus Eireann, then your contract is with them and nothing to do with HMG or a UK operator.

It was you who brought HMG into it! If you get a ticket via Bus Eireann, then your contract is with them and nothing to do with HMG or a UK operator.

Well,in order for Free Travel in the UK to be availed of,some element of HMG would have to be involved in some way,shape or form.

As the Irish Free Travel Pass is a State Issued document,and the OP appeared to be under the impression that it may have validity in another State,which of course it does,but only under the conditions laid down by (Gulp :eek:) ...Her Majestys Government,or at least those elements of it responsible for providing Public Transport in Northern Ireland.

With the recent introduction in the UK of a National Bus Concession Pass,this same methodology is being applied "over there" too...although perhaps with less effectivity than our own one,as can be seen from recent funding difficulties now being addressed...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/free-bus-travel-scheme-turmoil-6289673

But,once it has cleared up any confusion in the OP's mind as to the limitations of the IRISH Free Travel Scheme,then it's a good posts work...Yes ? :)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The only relevance I can suggest is that the Ticket would have been Paid for ?

Reinventing the wheel a bit on this Thread.....the OP's question was if he could use the Irish Free Travel Pass on the Dublin/London Eurolines service.

The answer is No.

But,there's always room for a new thread.... ;)

What I was precisely looking for. Thanks Alek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So I could travel with my FTP if I present the pass to the ticket person for Eurolines? Is that what you are getting at?

NO.

You can not use it on Eurolines.

If you wish to cross the Irish Sea you have 2 options; pay or swim.

Just to clear up some of the nonsense in the thread, Eurolines services from Dublin are run by Bus Eireann and operated by them and a sub contractor.
    Services out of Rosslare by National Express, operated by their contractor Bernard Kavanagh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement