Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of reclining seats on BÉ Expressway.

Options
  • 16-04-2014 4:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

No need for them.

They add to the discomfort of the passengers behind you.

There can be few things more enraging than sitting on a bus and suddenly having your laptop squashed into your guts and leg nearly broken because the inconsiderate tosser in front of you decides to let their seat back simply because they can.

If the seats didn't recline no one would be any worse off. Most people probably wouldn't even notice.

Its a small island we live on. Most bus journeys take no more than a couple of hours. It's not like there are long overnight trans continental services here.

/ Rant. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I agree. Ryanair planes are much better because plonkers can't recline them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ryanair don't have them because they cost more to install.

Something BÉ should consider to help them reduce costs and pass on the savings to us in the form of lower fares.

We can then watch the pigs flying past from the comfort of our (non reclining) seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

support

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Really...

If they didn't have them then there would be someone on saying that another operater has them and how terrible it is that BE doesn't.

Comparing that airline to a bus company is no comparison as Rynair is all about discomfort as far as I can see as there plane seats are so uncomfortable it's unreal. They are so tightly packed together and the hard plastic where my knees should be is so painful and difficult to walk after.

If someone puts the seat back isn't it nice to have that option and why can't you put yours back even a little to give yourself some space back.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

http://www.kneedefender.com

I read a good review of these for airline seats. Not sure if they work on the Bus Eireann seats. I would never buy it though.

• Advertisement

Really...

If they didn't have them then there would be someone on saying that another operater has them and how terrible it is that BE doesn't.

I mention BÉ in my post because I use them most often. I occasionally use City Link, Aircoach and Ulsterbus too and I'd advocate that they all get rid of reclining seats as well.
    Comparing that airline to a bus company is no comparison as Rynair is all about discomfort as far as I can see as there plane seats are so uncomfortable it's unreal. They are so tightly packed together and the hard plastic where my knees should be is so painful and difficult to walk after.

Just as well they don't recline then or your knees would be shattered altogether.

In fairness to Ryanair their seat pitch compares favourably to most airlines and offers more generous legroom then Aer Lingus.
    If someone puts the seat back isn't it nice to have that option and why can't you put yours back even a little to give yourself some space back.

Nice is finding a fiver in your pocket you didn't know you had. If there were no reclining seats no one would miss them.

I don't like sitting in reclined seats, and it's more difficult to work on a laptop in that position. Puts a strain on the neck.

Furthermore, I shouldn't have to adjust my seat just to accommodate the inconsiderate selfish tosser in front of me, and in turn disrupt the person behind me, thus leaving myself open to being refered to as an inconsiderate tosser by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lapin wrote: »
    I mention BÉ in my post because I use them most often. I occasionally use City Link, Aircoach and Ulsterbus too and I'd advocate that they all get rid of reclining seats too.

Just as well they don't recling then or your knees would be shattered altogether.

In fairness to Ryanair their seat pitch compares favourably to most airlines and offers more generous legroom then Aer Lingus.

Nice is finding a fiver in your pocket you didn't know you had. If there were no reclining seats no one would miss them.

I don't like sitting in reclined seats, and it's more difficult to work on a laptop in that position. Puts a strain on the neck.

Furthermore, I shouldn't have to adjust my seat just to accommodate the inconsiderate selfish tosser in front of me, and in turn disrupt the person behind me, thus leaving myself open to being refered to as an inconsiderate tosser by them.

I get what your saying but do see it as a nice option for someone who may want a snooze or just chill. I understand it may make it difficult if using a laptop just wondering would the option be there to sit where there would be nobody in front or would there be no table. I haven't been on the new ones myself.

I can fit in the Aerlingus seats no problem and find them very comfortable.

I get what your saying but do see it as a nice option for someone who may want a snooze or just chill. I understand it may make it difficult if using a laptop just wondering would the option be there to sit where there would be nobody in front or would there be no table. I haven't been on the new ones myself.

I can fit in the Aerlingus seats no problem and find them very comfortable.

I always try to sit up front wherever possible. And in credit to BÉ their new double decker coaches on the Galway - Dublin route are a joy to travel on. If I can get a table seat, all the better.

As for those who want to snooze or just chill, people do this all the time on trains and those seats don't recline but I never hear people complaining about that. Why do people expect them on buses? Especially now that many inter city bus journeys take less time than the train.

Source for airline seat pitch comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Is the change in seat pitch enough to provide real extra comfort to the passenger using it? I've always found the seat pitch on airplanes to be not worth the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

I don't see how it is inconsiderate to adjust your seat to a more comfortable position on a long bus journey. Any disruption to the passenger behind is both minor and brief. I would love to see the the OP's reaction to travelling on a semi-cama bus in South America where seats can recline to a near vertical position. Fantastic buses for long journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I use BE express every day. While reclined seats are a pain for the person behind most people don't recline them fully back .

My main issue is that the seats are broken in the full reclined position and can't be moved which affects the person in the seat itself and the one behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Really...

Because it really doesn't give you back any space, at least not where it matters if you're tall enough to find bus and airline seats cramped! Ultimately the seat backs go back and down, meaning that space is made around the lumbar area and higher. However they pivot around (seated) hip height (as opposed to actually sliding back at that height) and drop into what would be knee space in the seat behind. Since the space constraint relates to the distance between knee and hip, removing space at the knee end that can't be regained at the hip means that that idea is complete cods-wallop!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair don't have them because they cost more to install.

I'm not sure they are any cheaper to install. They're lighter and have far less parts to maintain though.

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm not sure they are any cheaper to install. They're lighter and have far less parts to maintain though.

True, but i'ts ltimately the same thing though in the long term when ongoing maintainance costs are factored in with the initial instilation costs.

The decision is based on saving the airline money.
    Alias G wrote: »
    I don't see how it is inconsiderate to adjust your seat to a more comfortable position on a long bus journey. Any disruption to the passenger behind is both minor and brief.

It's disruption nonetheless and regaedless of how minor or brief you may believe it to be, it still compromises the comfort of the passenger behind you. They have paid for their ticket too and should expect some consideration.

Alias G wrote: »
    I would love to see the the OP's reaction to travelling on a semi-cama bus in South America where seats can recline to a near vertical position. Fantastic buses for long journeys.

Did you not read this part of my post?
    Its a small island we live on. Most bus journeys take no more than a couple of hours. It's not like there are long overnight trans continental services here.

I've travelled on on long journeys abroad where the seats recling fully to allow passengers to sleep. I don't have any problem with that whatsoever.

This thread is about Ireland, a tiny island.
    Bus companies here encourage people to travel with them by providing WiFi on board to assist passengers in getting some work or study done while on the move. The ability to do this is compromised by having the seat in front encroaching on your own space.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

It's disruption nonetheless and regaedless of how minor or brief you may believe it to be, it still compromises the comfort of the passenger behind you. They have paid for their ticket too and should expect some consideration.

Nine times out of ten, reclining your seat doesn't have much physical effect on the passenger behind and the issue often has more to do with an invasion of "personnel space" If someone is to adjust their seat in a rough manner without consideration of those behind you may have a point but anyone operating said chair in an appropriate manner is perfectly entitled to without someone getting the huff. If your laptop is momentarily moved or you have to adjust your knees by an inch shouldn't be anything that takes more than a couple of seconds to recover from. Oftentimes however, it is simply a reaction to the invasion of perceived personnel space.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

ardmacha wrote: »
    I agree. Ryanair planes are much better because plonkers can't recline them.

The be expressway add does say "someday air travel will be this comfortable" so maybe they were talking about the seats being more advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Really...

Comparing that airline to a bus company is no comparison as Ryanair is all about discomfort as far as I can see as there plane seats are so uncomfortable it's unreal. They are so tightly packed together and the hard plastic where my knees should be is so painful and difficult to walk after.

It's not the bus seat backs reclining that is the problem; the seats are too close together if a reclining seat back is coming into contact with the passenger behind it.

Some countries have trains with reclining seats. These seats are sometimes of the type that can be reversed according to direction of train travel as well.

I do not think I will ever use Ryanair. It's uncivilised to sit in any aeroplane cabin where you're forced to sit bolt upright for any length of journey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I travelled on an Aer Lingus flight in the seat just in front of the toilet that can't recline and of course the inconsiderate arse hole on front of me had to recline the seat. Asked him nicely but no go so stuck my knees in it till he put it back up.

Advertisement