Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding it hard to make friends in NUIG/Galway

Options
  • 14-01-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey, I'm a first year student in arts in NUIG and I have been finding it hard to make friends. I was wondering if anyone is in the same situation as myself or if there is anyone who would be interested in making new friends or just to meet up, if you could get back to me if you're interested that'd be great! Ohh also by the way my name is Niamh.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are you in any societies or clubs? There's one for every type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niamhg49

I tried some socities and that and just felt really awkward ect and backed out of it, I'm a quiet enough person and can find it hard enough to do things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Pints, pints, and more pints... :pac: :pac:

Seriously though, just get stuck in with any of the societies whatever it may be. Aim to talk to new people every day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Would people be interested in having an NUIG Boards.ie beers? There used to be a very active community from the forum on the SIN website but BOards.ie never had the same thing going on. I made some great friends thtough that so it could be an option for people here. I'm happy to organise it if there's any interest.

Always an option.

OP, what are your interests? There's literally a club/society out there for everyone and a lot of the bigger ones (Cumann Staire, Debating) have people from all courses and walks of life so you're bound to find someone you get on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lockstep wrote: »
    Would people be interested in having an NUIG Boards.ie beers? There used to be a very active community from the forum on the SIN website but BOards.ie never had the same thing going on. I made some great friends thtough that so it could be an option for people here. I'm happy to organise it if there's any interest.

Always an option.

OP, what are your interests? There's literally a club/society out there for everyone and a lot of the bigger ones (Cumann Staire, Debating) have people from all courses and walks of life so you're bound to find someone you get on with.
    Not a society I would suggest to find friends. Unless you are on the inner circle it is near impossible to make friends at them events.

However, societies and clubs is definitely a very good way to make friends. I'm sure you have some hobbies you enjoy and going to events that society or club runs can really help. Just go and chat to someone. It's tough but once you start chatting about something you and the other person enjoys there will be a connection there and you can make friends!

Also, try sitting beside someone new in every lecture and just say hello. You'd be surprised how quickly a conversation can be struck up by just introducing yourself to someone new!

• Advertisement

Hey, that sounds okay, though I do take the opinion on board fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mademoiselle_r

I moved in to 2nd year arts from a different college and am finding problems getting to know people too. Well, I have acquaintances but not many people I can go grab a coffee with or anything. PM me if you would like to meet and get a starbucks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Also, try sitting beside someone new in every lecture and just say hello. You'd be surprised how quickly a conversation can be struck up by just introducing yourself to someone new!

+1

Don't be afraid to chat to the person next to you in lectures. Everyone is always looking to make new friends - especially in First Year. NUIG has a very friendly atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Not a society I would suggest to find friends. Unless you are on the inner circle it is near impossible to make friends at them events.

I would disagree. People may not go out of their way to befriend you, but if you are a nice person, and do your best to talk to people without being d1ckish it's a very friendly group.

You'll form friends for life in societies. Don't be afraid to go to lots and see what interests you. This is probably the first time in your life that you dont have to do anything, but you have the chance to do everything.

Honestly, my one regret from my time in NUIG is not trying more things. Archery, rowing, drama. No club/society for what you really want to do? Start your own! The socs box are more than helpful if you are enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I would disagree. People may not go out of their way to befriend you, but if you are a nice person, and do your best to talk to people without being d1ckish it's a very friendly group.

You'll form friends for life in societies. Don't be afraid to go to lots and see what interests you. This is probably the first time in your life that you dont have to do anything, but you have the chance to do everything.

Honestly, my one regret from my time in NUIG is not trying more things. Archery, rowing, drama. No club/society for what you really want to do? Start your own! The socs box are more than helpful if you are enthusiastic.
    That's fine to disagree with. From mine and a few other friends experience people can be quite dickish at the events and you have to be like them in order to be accepted to be honest. Again, that's just my experience and not everyone is going to have the same experience.

Everything else I totally agree with though! Also I totally forgot class parties! They are fantastic for making friends! Go along to one, and if there isn't one organised ask a class rep to organise one. There are usually 2 a year (one in each semester) and they are pretty fun even if you don't drink!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

niamhg49 wrote: »
    I tried some socities and that and just felt really awkward ect and backed out of it, I'm a quiet enough person and can find it hard enough to do things like that.

In what way was it awkward? Being new maybe?

Some societies are very small and little people go to some. Joining a smaller one might go along way if you're shy.

Chat to people in your class as others said above. Relax, it'll come naturally. Go to all your classes and catch up with people too, it'll come. NUIG is a very friendly place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Hi Niamh. I can empathise with what you're saying, because I found it hard to meet people when in first arts last year too. I think that due to the sheer amount of people in the course it can be pretty impersonal at times, but all is not lost!

I found it was easier to get chatting to people at the tutorials because of the smaller class sizes. Once you get chatting to someone on a few occasions, going for a coffee doesn't seem like such a big deal. You'd be surprised how many are in the same boat as you, so you definitely shouldn't feel odd for not having an entourage at this stage. In fact, I can safely say that all of the friends I've met through college have had similar experiences to the one you're having and we're all getting by just fine now.

I hope that's of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Just to back up the suggestion about joining a club or society, I know it's clubs day today in the Kingfisher. It's prob not too late to wander over and see if anything takes your fancy?
    And there are so many societies in the college too it'd def be worth looking them up, again to see if there is anything you'd be interested in. 90% of the friends I made in college were through a club or society. It's nerve racking putting yourself out there at first and trying to strike up a conversation. I'm working now and I still find it tough sometimes but like superglue said after chatting to someone or a few people a few times it gets easier! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DrHook

Have you tried the pidgon in the concourse he looks very lonely :p

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Im finding in arts that people are very clicky (if thats the right word!). Im finding hard to make new friends but im not too bad off as I have friends from secondary school but most of them travel and so are gone by about 5. I have a few aquaintences but they have 'better' friends and so usually I eat alone. Joined Ógra and are friends with the other members but none of them are in first year so its a little awkward! What subjects are you doing?

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that. I too find that people can be very clicky. I am doing English, history, philosophy and soc and pol, what about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Im quiet enough and suffer from social anxiety so find joining some groups difficult etc but the only way you will make/find friends is by joining societies etc where there are similar minded people. Talk to people in lectures, tutorials and you are bound to find people/a person who will have similar interests to you
    Lockstep wrote: »

Always an option.

NUIG boards.ie beers would be good. May as well try it once as if it doesn't work it doesn't matter.
    I moved in to 2nd year arts from a different college and am finding problems getting to know people too. Well, I have acquaintances but not many people I can go grab a coffee with or anything. PM me if you would like to meet and get a starbucks or something.
    Im in 2nd arts at the moment. What subjects are you doing? Only way to get to know people is try find common interests, try talk to people outside of the lecture theatre. Sure im known by loads in my lectures simply because I read the newspaper in class every day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that. I too find that people can be very clicky. I am doing English, history, philosophy and soc and pol, what about yourself?

Legal Studies, Irish, Geography and Economics!

Well if you'd like to get together and get a coffee or that you can pm me if you'd like

Niamh I did all 4 of those subjects in first year last year. Any issues PM me.

• Advertisement

Ohh great minds and all that! Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Can't really contribute more than what's already been said :P Going to tutorials especially, clubs and societies are the best ways to make friends. I know from last year because of the sheer numbers in Arts you make a lot of acquaintances but making friends can be difficult. If you persist with it though you'll make friends! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 calling galway

I'd love to grab a coffee with you some time. I was very quiet as a student myself and know how hard it can be.
    PM me if you'd like to meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LadyLuck50

I'm doing arts in NUIG next September, and I'm pretty shy so very nervous! Everyone else seems to say it's super easy to make friends, is that not true in arts? In what way is it cliquey?
    Thanks

LadyLuck50 wrote: »
    I'm doing arts in NUIG next September, and I'm pretty shy so very nervous! Everyone else seems to say it's super easy to make friends, is that not true in arts? In what way is it cliquey?
    Thanks
    I am going into my final year of arts in September. Im shy etc. Suffer from social anxiety....
    It is easy enough to find people who have similar interests to you. Some will be in your course. Others will be in the societies/clubs.
    I didnt find it cliquey. I found arts relatively easy to find friends etc. Your subject combination will play a role in how you make friends as well.
    What are you thinking of doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LadyLuck50

I am going into my final year of arts in September. Im shy etc. Suffer from social anxiety....
    It is easy enough to find people who have similar interests to you. Some will be in your course. Others will be in the societies/clubs.
    I didnt find it cliquey. I found arts relatively easy to find friends etc. Your subject combination will play a role in how you make friends as well.
    What are you thinking of doing?

Thank you so much that's a big comfort! I'll be doing English, philosophy and psychology! Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kamran4562

Hi, i am a. 1st year research engineering student, NUIG, same situation is of mine, its my first month here.I would love, if we can be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Typing and grammar so bad, how did you make it to university? I used to blame these posts on bots but now the bots are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ezrahidaya

It takes time but you will make friends if you are welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kamran4562

yes, you are right, its my mistake.

Advertisement