Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can passengers on a family ticket board at different stations?

• 21-04-2014 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Here's a question I've been searching the Ts&Cs for, I know ordinarily you can buy a ticket from Kilkenny to Waterford for example and board at Thomastown, provided it's not cheaper than Thomastown to Waterford (like Athy/Kildare to Heuston) I also know that concessionary tickets such as online tickets don't have the same rights regarding journey breaks etc, so would this be allowed on a family ticket?

There's a bunch of us aged 15 to 17 going from Kilkenny to Waterford tomorrow so we were going to buy 2 family tickets, only thing is two of the children are getting on at Thomas town.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

A family ticket is 2 adults and 2 children not a crowd of teenagers
    you will be fined if caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

jack7 wrote: »

And a child is 15, and an adult 16 and over, so 2 17 year olds and 2 15 year olds is perfectly acceptable, got from Thurles to Galway and back on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

jack7 wrote: »

The "Family" ticket is valid for 2 adults and 4 children U16. You definitely can have teenagers on it because I have done it witj my scouts before and there is never any issue.

if you have a valid tickets for the stations that you are travelling for, you will be fine. Get the ticket in Kilkenny, when you are buying it, make sure you stipulate exactly how many adults / children need to be on the ticket.

Then your friends join you in Thomastown. There are very few checkers on the trains these days. If there is, explain your friends are joining you at the next station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I can't see any logical reason why IE would object to what is proposed, it's all revenue

bikeman1 wrote: »
    The "Family" ticket is valid for 2 adults and 4 children U16. You definitely can have teenagers on it because I have done it witj my scouts before and there is never any issue.

if you have a valid tickets for the stations that you are travelling for, you will be fine. Get the ticket in Kilkenny, when you are buying it, make sure you stipulate exactly how many adults / children need to be on the ticket.

Then your friends join you in Thomastown. There are very few checkers on the trains these days. If there is, explain your friends are joining you at the next station.

Thanks yeah, I've used them a couple of times and they're great. So long as you can have some of the pax join later that's perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't see an issue - you're paying the higher fare.

Just double check with Kilkenny Station - 056 7722024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The ticket is for 2 adults and up to 4 children under 16 and the " family " must travel together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The ticket is for 2 adults and up to 4 children under 16 and the " family " must travel together.

I can hear the chorus already....But but but.....etc etc... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Does it become prohibitively expensive if the family ticket is only used from Thomastown and the rest of the journey is made using regular tickets for the people who need to travel further?

No Pants wrote: »
    Does it become prohibitively expensive if the family ticket is only used from Thomastown and the rest of the journey is made using regular tickets for the people who need to travel further?

No opportunity to do that really, Thomastown is a halt and you have to buy tickets from the inspector, you'd be laughed out of it.

Thanks for the help folks, going for a combination of 2 family tickets and a couple of adult day returns from kilkenny, and one child day return from Waterford, no cheating ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I can hear the chorus already....But but but.....etc etc... :)

but but but .....the problem comes when the people boarding enroute try to access the platform with no ticket and also on the way back leaving the station. I agree the family must travel together for this reason.

Advertisement