Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road works on North King Street, Dublin

Options
  • 17-04-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I don't usually do this but there are works on North King Street west of Church Street for the next couple of days with a lane closure and diversions.

It is absolutely crazy there - I got stuck there this afternoon for rather a long time. While the closure is flagged in advance, it's not clear how the diversion is working, and I've seen a lot of drivers on the approach to the junction of North King Street and Church Street taking the outside lane, going into the right hand lane and then turning left up Church Street towards the river. There's only one lane available so this has the effect of forcing a merge with the left lane which already was routed to turn left there.

I can't believe that the plan was to allow traffic up the right hand land to hang a left so can only assume that people are being obnoxious about it. At any rate, it's not indicated that you can do this. The lane concerned is usually straight on or right turn only.

I've long had a feeling that a lot of the traffic chaos in Dublin can be put down to generally poor driving but seriously, in the event you need to go anywhere that would normally take you around that area from Dorset Street westwards, you should find an alternative for the next couple of days. If you've already been stuck in there, you have my profound sympathy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Calina wrote: »
    I don't usually do this but there are works on North King Street west of Church Street for the next couple of days with a lane closure and diversions.

It is absolutely crazy there - I got stuck there this afternoon for rather a long time. While the closure is flagged in advance, it's not clear how the diversion is working, and I've seen a lot of drivers on the approach to the junction of North King Street and Church Street taking the outside lane, going into the right hand lane and then turning left up Church Street towards the river. There's only one lane available so this has the effect of forcing a merge with the left lane which already was routed to turn left there.

I can't believe that the plan was to allow traffic up the right hand land to hang a left so can only assume that people are being obnoxious about it. At any rate, it's not indicated that you can do this. The lane concerned is usually straight on or right turn only.

I've long had a feeling that a lot of the traffic chaos in Dublin can be put down to generally poor driving but seriously, in the event you need to go anywhere that would normally take you around that area from Dorset Street westwards, you should find an alternative for the next couple of days. If you've already been stuck in there, you have my profound sympathy.

Just as a curiosity Calina,did you spot ANY Garda presence at the location ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement