Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght to Sligo - Commutable?

• 11-02-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Looking for opinions here please.

I'm due to be working in Sligo for one week soon. The distance is just over 200km with a fair chunk of that going to be Motorway(M4), Dual Carraigway (N4) or relatively good roads (Longford bypass etc.) Am in mad to even consider this? Would require leaving at 7ish in the morning and getting home around 7pm (daily case for a lot of people.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Trampas

I say your mad.

Not book a hotel or B&B for the nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Doable.. though your biggest frustration will be getting on to the N4 in the first place. Once you hit Palmerstown you should be fine heading out past Liffey Valley (most traffic the other way). Allow for 35 or 40 mins to Mullingar, another 25 to 30 to Longford and another hour and 15 or so to Sligo.

Watch your speed though. The N4 is patrolled a lot, especially between Longford and sligo itself.

I assume you are not putting in a 9 - 5 day? Otherwise it will not be 7 - 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Wouldn't it be so much less hassle just to stay in Sligo? Book a B&B or hotel for yourself and relax for the few days. Plus lots of nice things to do and places to see in Sligo, you'd be wrecked by the end of the week if you drove up and down each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Coming from Tallaght so will use the Outer Ring Road to get on the N4. I do drive most of the road a fair bit and wouldn't be speeding (not worth it). It would likely be a 930 to 430 day, quick sandwich for lunch etc. to make up lost time.

Staying in Sligo is an option but working alone and then being alone in the evenings aswell is not an ideal situation.

I don't mind the driving either and it will only be for one week, any longer and I wouldn't even consider it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My boyfriend's family live in Boyle and, best case, it's 1hr 45mins from Maynooth to there provided you hit no tailbacks, accidents, roadworks, etc. To be honest I find it a long distance and even in the afternoon you can find tiredness setting in which makes it more difficult. If you were doing it 3 days a week it would be one thing but 5 days every week will wear you down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

eve wrote: »
    My boyfriend's family live in Boyle and, best case, it's 1hr 45mins from Maynooth to there provided you hit no tailbacks, accidents, roadworks, etc. To be honest I find it a long distance and even in the afternoon you can find tiredness setting in which makes it more difficult. If you were doing it 3 days a week it would be one thing but 5 days every week will wear you down.

Eve, The OP is only doing this for one week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

He is only doing it for 1 week Eve :D

Thanks people,

I think I'll give it a go for a day or two anyway and see how i'm feeling after that. Can always book into a hotel for the last night or two if I don't feel up to the driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

:o Missed that :D

Really thought house prices were getting bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

eve wrote: »
    :o Missed that :D

Really thought house prices were getting bad...

Ha ha.

OP, yeah sure give it a go anyway, if it drives you mad after a few days you can stay somewhere for the last few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you have any control over your working hours I'd at least stay every other night, e.g. work a bit later on Monday, stay locally, head in earlyish on Tuesday and perhaps drive to Dublin Tuesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Grudle, it's certainly possible, but you're going to be very very tired doing that for a week. I know there are people here that commute to Dublin, but they take the train so they can relax.

I'd say stay in Sligo, at least for a couple of nights. It's not such a bad town, and if you're bored drop me a pm and we can go for a drink/coffee (ooooh, scary internet meetings!;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

would you not spend the same amount on a b&b as your petrol.. about 30 euro for a trip up and back id say... ( on a 1.6 petrol)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭orbital83

about 30 euro for a trip up and back id say...

Plus €5.40 per day for the M4 toll (you say you intend to use the motorway). Don't think OP is doing it because of the money aspect though!

No nothing to do with money at all. I suppose it's the fact i'd be there on my lonesome is influencing it more than anything.

Talked it over with a few friends last night and they think it should be alright. Working hours are relatively flexible and as I said above I can cut out unnecessary breaks so I can be out of Sligo by 430.

So I'm gonna give it a go for a day or two anyway and then see how I'm feeling and make a decision about the rest of the week.

Thanks again for all the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grudle wrote: »
    Talked it over with a few friends last night and they think it should be alright. Working hours are relatively flexible and as I said above I can cut out unnecessary breaks so I can be out of Sligo by 430.
    You are talking of 200km each way and a full days work, with no breaks. Thats a recipe for accidents.

The driving will take 2.5 hours and add another half hour for congestion. Madness.

They have cineams and pubs and stuff in Sligo too.

I'n not saying no breaks. I just wouldn't take breaks as long as I usually would. Instead of taking a full hour at lunch I might take half an hour and take 5 or 10 minutes in the morning instead of the 20 or 25 that would usually be taken.

I'm well aware that tiredness etc., may become an issue that is why I am going to give it a go for a day or so and then depending on how I am doing make a decision as to whether I should stay or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

It's a very long drive there and back in the one day, though the road is fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

ur a mad man drove the distance meself during the summer took about 2.5 hours

jus splash out on the b n b .....will work out cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Lol mate are you on drugs?

Look im a guy that travelled 10K around europe in my car for a 2 week holiday...

i love driving but that commute is not realistic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement