Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Car Licence & 50cc Moped. Where do I stand legally?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have got a full Driving licence for a car but it doesnt specify any other vehicle. I recently got a Vespa ET-2 but as my licence doesn't show any details (expiry date) for cat M what do I do? Do I get a new provisional licence? Can I get my pink licence changed without doing a test?
    Im sure others must have been in this position
    Thanks
    SD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Your 'Full' B covers you to drive a moped

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Onkle wrote: »
    As mentioned in another thread, not anymore it doesnt. It depends on the theory test you did when applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Depends when it was issued. If the full B licence was issued before 21st Oct 2006 then you have full( or is it a provisional??) M licence if issued after that then you need to do theory test and apply for M/A1/A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Oryx wrote: »
    As mentioned in another thread, not anymore it doesnt. It depends on the theory test you did when applying.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Depends when it was issued. If the full B licence was issued before 21st Oct 2006 then you have full( or is it a provisional??) M licence if issued after that then you need to do theory test and apply for M/A1/A

Thanks for correcting me lads. That really is a pile of crap though, with a license issued after October 2006 a person can drive a Bugatti Veyron across Europe but can't drive a moped to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Easier to get killed on a moped if you don't know what you're doing I would think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If the full B licence was issued before 21st Oct 2006 then you have full( or is it a provisional??) M licence
    Full. ;)
    That really is a pile of crap though, with a license issued after October 2006 a person can drive a Bugatti Veyron across Europe but can't drive a moped to the shop?
    That's a futile argument. Where does it end?

A 16 year old with a category W Learner Permit may drive the largest tractor, drawing two loaded trailers, up to a total length of 75 feet, unaccompanied, on a public road, yet the same 16 year old cannot legally drive a Nissan Micra, even if accompanied, to the local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

i'm not sure about the above statement. i have a full B license issued in september 2006 and rang today for insurance on a 50cc katana. i was asked when i got the license and was quoted for insurance too. nothing mentioned about a theory test. PS - I never took a theory test as I got my 1st provisional in 2001 for cats A, B and M. i only kept the B and got my full B while allowing the A license to expire in 2003 i think.

I could be just gettin all confused here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

goz83 wrote: »
    i'm not sure about the above statement. i have a full B license issued in september 2006 and rang today for insurance on a 50cc katana. i was asked when i got the license and was quoted for insurance too. nothing mentioned about a theory test. PS - I never took a theory test as I got my 1st provisional in 2001 for cats A, B and M. i only kept the B and got my full B while allowing the A license to expire in 2003 i think.

I could be just gettin all confused here lol

You have a full M licence because you have a B licence issued before the cut off date. The theory test is for people who have to apply for an M learners permit.

Be aware that insurance companies will quote you even if you don't have the correct licence and take your money. It's up to the rider/driver to make sure they are proplerly licenced for the vehicle they are driving, not the insurance company.

Another thing to be aware of is that a moped, for which you have a licence, is restricted to 50kmh and less the 50cc. If the Katana goes over 50kmh it's not a moped and you aren't licenced for it. You may be better off appying for an A learners permit to be legal, and getting lessons on a school bike if you want to continue with biking.

Advertisement