Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to ride a motorbike without owning one

Options
  • 28-12-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I have a full car license.

I've like to have the option of a moped or motorbike. I'm assuming I need a separate license.

What's the best way to learn to ride one and to pass the test without actually owning one or having regular access to one?

Is somewhere like the Leinster Driving Campus a good option in this case?

any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Random wrote: »

I've like to have the option of a moped or motorbike. I'm assuming I need a separate license.

I just passed my exam recently and got my full license as well. In order to be able to drive a motorbike I had to reapply for the original permit i was issued in May so I got my bike license back. I now hold both a permit for bikes and full license for a car.

If you didn't have a permit or provisional for the A, A1 or M in the last 2 years you will need to do the theory test, then apply for the permit.

More info here.
    I would recommend reading up, bike licensing is really complicated.
    What's the best way to learn to ride one and to pass the test without actually owning one or having regular access to one?

I know the moderator of this forum doesn't like recommendations for driving instructors on the forum, but bikers don't really have a lot to choose from. The best would seem to be hands down Star rider program in Finglas Dublin because of the training done and the price. They will rent bikes for the day(12 hours) and they go through everything including insurance assessments for cheaper quotes(from Aon which are pretty much all who do it here). Waiting time can be 4 months I think, maybe longer.

Info here.

any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

No idea. But this seems to have a fair bit of info on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from learning to drive, i'd say you'd get a better response over here.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't have a bike but just got a few lessons with a well known driving school and passed the test on the second attempt (failed for speeding first time). That was a few years ago and I haven't been on a bike since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

I did the test without owning a bike, just got a few lessons and hired the bike for test. Managed to pass, but did get marked for speeding:D

Dave Lyons based in Wicklow but has bikes in Rathgar in Dublin is good.
    http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

There are a few others but I haven't used them so can't say anything about them, but read some threads here and you'll find recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I know Naas School of Motoring hire out bikes for lessons/test. Can't say how good or not they are though as I haven't used them personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Aaron Rider Training supply bikes for lessons/test.
    Got pre-test lessons with them and they were excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

you can ride a 50cc scooter/moped or less on a full B license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for all the advice lads .. keep it coming if you have any more :)

I'm not really looking to drive a motorbike on a daily basis .. I'm more about trying to get skills in all areas of driving and stuff (don't I just sound sad? :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Skills in riding won't neccissarily carry over to cage driving, apart from the obvious ones like road knowledge and added awareness there a big differences in the actual skills used. From road positioning, to breaking and steering almost everything is different. Still - the benefit of having ridden will stand to you in a car as you'll know what it's like on the outside of the cage.

Advertisement