Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

G.K. wrote: »
    What about a 4-4-2 diamond?

Woj
    Sagna-Kos-Verm-Gibbs
    Song
    Arteta-Jack
    Ox
    RVP-Poldi

We're narrow enough at times as it is! Christ all you'd have to do is the traditional 2 banks of 4 and we wouldn't score in a month of Sundays.

As regards us needing a quality second striker; we do, but Giroud is too good not to be playing week in week out. What we need is a Welbeck/Hernandez type.

Forgot we signed Poldi. How will we be keeping 3 strikers happy if we sign Giroud? If he signs, Must be because RVP is leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Forgot we signed Poldi. How will we be keeping 3 strikers happy if we sign Giroud? If he signs, Must be because RVP is leaving

Hopefully not i read somewhere today that chamkh could be offered with cash to montepellier for Oliver Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Why is their the impression that we can only have the exact amount of first choice players needed? It's unlikely van Persie will have another injury free season, especially not after the Euro's. Podolski and van Persie can both play out on the left as well as up top. Plently of room for the three with a bit of rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why is their the impression that we can only have the exact amount of first choice players needed? It's unlikely van Persie will have another injury free season, especially not after the Euro's. Podolski and van Persie can both play out on the left as well as up top. Plently of room for the three with a bit of rotation.

I totally see where you are coming from, but Van Persie was probably the best striker in Europe last season. It would be madness to play him out on the left. As someone else mentioned, I could definitely see him playing in the hole behind a front man, eventually. But to switch his position now while he's in the form of his life would be ridiculous.

I have always said that I'd love to see Giroud come in, but with these rumors picking up, coupled with the silence from RvP, I have to say I am very worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Saw the two sides of Arshavin again tonight...very dangerous in the first half...then an absolute disaster in the second. Poor passing, pointless dribbling didn't lead by example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Podolski will surely be playing on the left of the front three.

We still need a good back up for RVP. tbh I'm not to sure Giroud is that, one good season in France isn't overly inspiring, but if he can make the step up and bag us ~10 goals a season as #2 striker I'm all for it. There's no way we can expect Robin to play even close to that amount of games next year, assuming he does stay of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Frisbee wrote: »
    Podolski will surely be playing on the left of the front three.

We still need a good back up for RVP. tbh I'm not to sure Giroud is that, one good season in France isn't overly inspiring, but if he can make the step up and bag us ~10 goals a season as #2 striker I'm all for it. There's no way we can expect Robin to play even close to that amount of games next year, assuming he does stay of course.

Giroud would be a bit of a gamble. Only 1 good season in an inferior league to the premier league. Only 2 games in Europe and only 6 for the national team. (1 goal & 3 assists).

The problem is if we go for someone who is less of a gamble, the price goes to levels Arsenal can't or won't pay. I suppose we'll just have to trust Wenger's judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sergio wrote: »
    Hopefully not i read somewhere today that chamkh could be offered with cash to montepellier for Oliver Giroud.

Feck that means we have to offer more cash. ;)
    Barlett wrote: »
    Saw the two sides of Arshavin again tonight...very dangerous in the first half...then an absolute disaster in the second. Poor passing, pointless dribbling didn't lead by example

He was an absolute disgrace at times.
    This was really highlighted when he actually stood facing away from the play after he gave the ball away with a poorly hit pass that eventually led to the goal.
    Yes we know he mightn't have got back to make a difference, but he should at least try and lead by example.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    This was really highlighted when he actually stood facing away from the play after he gave the ball away with a poorly hit pass that eventually led to the goal.
    And threw his arms in the air Ronaldo-esque, like a real captain does.
    I've finally come to the conclusion that he can only flourish in a team that lets him do what he wants whilst also making him the focal point of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Joel Campbell scored again the other night, really hope this lad gets a work permit

Joel Campbell scored again the other night, really hope this lad gets a work permit

I really hope he doesn't.

If he does Wenger will probably try and use him instead of spending money on a striker that's any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jmayo wrote: »
    He was an absolute disgrace at times.
    Yes we know he mightn't have got back to make a difference, but he should at least try and lead by example.

Well that's clearly wenger's fault for playing him out of position and not getting the best from him. Anytime I ever see arshavin play for Russia, he's a tota.......oh!

Frisbee wrote: »

I really hope he doesn't.

If he does Wenger will probably try and use him instead of spending money on a striker that's any use.

We're after signing Podolski and lots reports saying that giroud is done just paperwork to be finalised
    Were not gonna sign anymore strikers, bring the lad in I say

BBC and the Telegraph both reporting it

The Giroud deal is all but done, good signing happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BBC and the Telegraph both reporting it

The Giroud deal is all but done, good signing happy with that

According to BBC:
    Manager Arsene Wenger intends to play him alongside fellow new signing Lukas Podolski and Dutch striker Robin van Persie in a front three.

I hope they're right, I presume that means RVP won't be playing as the centre striker next season though, and Podolski on the right? Or is he a left sided player too?

If they cut Park loose and bring Campbell if he gets his permit we're not looking too bad, I'm not against the idea of holding on to Chamakh just to provide a little bit more strength in depth tbh either.

Not a bad start to the summer, looks like they've finally copped on, two pretty promising players signed already who aren't unproven teenagers. M'Villa + Decent centre back and we're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I hope they're right, I presume that means RVP won't be playing as the centre striker next season though, and Podolski on the right? Or is he a left sided player too?

Podolski is a left-sided player, yeah.

Only 1 L in M'Vila - I suppose that could be his first song

Podolski - RVP - Giroud

Now that is a nice front three.:cool:

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Podolski - RVP - Giroud

I agree it's a serious front three

And if its about ambition and not money with RVP I think the club ate sending the right signals

• Advertisement

I agree it's a serious front three

And if its about ambition and not money with RVP I think the club ate sending the right signals

Agreed, i think we can safely say if RVP does go, money will be the major factor.

Potential team for next season: - Szczesny; Sagna, Vermalen , Koscielny, Gibbs; M'Vila, Arteta, Wilshere; RvP, Giroud, Podolski

Where's Song gone? :D
    Not that i disagree or anything.;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Potential team for next season: - Szczesny; Sagna, Vermalen , Koscielny, Gibbs; M'Vila, Arteta, Wilshere; RvP, Giroud, Podolski

Actually, we need another right back to cover Sagna now that I think of it.

More promising news

BBC Sport's David Ornstein on Twitter: "Wilshere's recovery coming along very well. Training every day, itching to return. Wenger yet to decide if he'll go on pre-season tours."

Actually, we need another right back to cover Sagna now that I think of it.

I'm in the minority here but I'm quiet happy with jenks

With the likes of Song, Walcott, Ox, Metersacker, Santos, Rosicky able to come in without seriously reducing the ability on the playing field means we should be well equipped for next season.

Can't see all three of Giroud/RVP/Podolski playing together unless it's like:

Giroud
    Podolski
    RVP
    Walcott

Assuming one of Ramsey/Jack will be in the #10 position we'll more than likely be fielding:

RVP
    Podolski
    Jack
    Walcott

with Gervinho and Ox providing cover for the wings and Giroud playing second fiddle to RVP. Can't see us dropping RVP out of his best position for the sake of a one season wonder from Ligue 1.

greendom wrote: »

With the likes of Song, Walcott, Ox, Metersacker, Santos able to come in without seriously reducing the ability on the playing field means we should be well equipped for next season.

Don't forget Ramsey and coq I expect both to have big seasons for us next season

Ah yeah had forgotten about him there TBH :D i'd be happy with him as back up too, although would be no harm, if they do buy another defender, get one who's versatile and can play centre or fullback.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah had forgotten about him there TBH :D i'd be happy with him as back up too, although would be no harm, if they do buy another defender, get one who's versatile and can play centre or fullback.

Ship out Johan and get a centre half who can cover right back
    Fully agree

Don't forget Ramsey and coq I expect both to have big seasons for us next season

And Gervinho - who's to say? - he may sparkle next year..

Tell Chamakh he plays backup RB next season or he's going.:D

greendom wrote: »

And Gervinho - who's to say? - he may sparkle next year..

Finally a bit of depth and competition for places
    We might even challenge next season

Tell Chamakh he plays backup RB next season or he's going.:D

Can we not just tell him is going full stop:)

We couldn't do it with Bendtner, so fair treatment and all that.;)
    At least Chamakh cost nothing so anything we get is a bonus.
    Should've been wrapped up by now TBH (chamakh), as he's not at the Euros and can't affect his own value.

Should've been wrapped up by now TBH (chamakh), as he's not at the Euros and can't affect his own value.

Alot of players will be hard to move on I'd say

But at least the club are buying first and movin on later a big step in the right direction

Alot of players will be hard to move on I'd say

But at least the club are buying first and movin on later a big step in the right direction

Definately.
    It's a very welcome surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

sure he's morocan he wouldnt be there anyway.

for some reason i cant get this silly comparison between giroud and bendtner out of my head. bendy could easily have been that lone striker beast for us had he mostly been played in his actual pos. afaik he was mainly played wide, where he was clearly not suited. i hope the same doesnt happen to giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dont forget OX too! Serious fights for places in our attacking line up but need cover in defense too! LB and CB.

sure he's morocan he wouldnt be there anyway.

Obviously that's what i was saying.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Podolski - RVP - Giroud

An all left footed strike force, bring it on.

j14 wrote: »
    An all left footed strike force, bring it on.

Lefties are far more diverse than righties.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I cannot see Podolski, van Persie and Giroud starting together up front. Either Giroud will be benched for Walcott, or van Persie is leaving and it'll be Podolski, Giroud, Walcott.

We still need an actual attacking midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

How are ye all pronouncing Giroud? Heard at least 3 different versions since the radio stations have announced the story today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

^^^ Jack Wilshere ftw, if he is ever fit again

dorgasm wrote: »
    How are ye all pronouncing Giroud? Heard at least 3 different versions since the radio stations have announced the story today!
    Djourou. :D

dorgasm wrote: »

"gi roo"

Buttonftw wrote: »
    We still need an actual attacking midfielder.

I like the idea of Ramsey/chambo sharing the duties

I can see wilshere taking artetas spot in the long run

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement