Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arsenal is the only club in the league that is run in a sustainable manner. City,Chelsea even tottenham, liverpool and united, they can't go on indefinitley the way they are. the bubble has to burst and when it does arsenal will be the the club that will come out on top. I'd rather see the club stay run the way it is than spend a tonne of money and dig themselves into a massive financial hole that they'll never get out of, even if it means winning nothing for a few more years. Plus the crop of younger players in the team is the best we've had in a long time. The future looks pretty bright to me at the moment.

Anyhoo, anyone watching Bolton/QPR match? Ryo starting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Arsenal is the only club in the league that is run in a sustainable manner. City,Chelsea even tottenham, liverpool and united, they can't go on indefinitley the way they are. the bubble has to burst and when it does arsenal will be the the club that will come out on top. I'd rather see the club stay run the way it is than spend a tonne of money and dig themselves into a massive financial hole that they'll never get out of, even if it means winning nothing for a few more years. Plus the crop of younger players in the team is the best we've had in a long time. The future looks pretty bright to me at the moment.

Anyhoo, anyone watching Bolton/QPR match? Ryo starting again.

I think Ryo is yet another one trick pony. If he can't beat his man on the right then he loses the ball. Won't make it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

As I've said elsewhere, how often have Arsenal sold a player who was playing really well for us who went on to be brilliant again? Hleb has done nothing, Flamini seems to be nowhere, Cesc is doing well alright but he's something of an exception. Wenger generally seems to sign players, get a few good years out of them and sell them on where they fall into some mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Mickeroo wrote: »

The wage structure is not being run in a sensible manner though, we were unable to offload Almunia, Bendtner or Denilson last summer and that can only be because of the wages they are getting, Bendtner is on 56k, Denilson is reportedly on 50k and Almunia is reportedly on 60k. We're effectively throwing millions away each season because of that policy of paying players based on their potential instead of how good they are at present and what they've acheived. We have Walcott currently on 60k and demanding 85k a week in his current negotiations! He's not worth that.

The club has to make 20 million a season for repaying that gosh darn debt, I'd like to think most fans accept that and understand what it means with regard to how the club must be run. I myself feel that we're not using the resources we actually have in the best way, I'm not looking for the club to spend more, just to use what we have more wisely.

Last summer, letting Nasri go was a good move all round, his wage demands were crazy, he had one good consistent 3 month spell, and he was no loss. 25M for him was an absolute steal.

The Fabregas transfer was insanity. 5 years left on his contract, we were in such a strong position and Barcelona embarrassed us, they got him for about 20M less than he was actually worth. But his sale really weakened the team, which posed a massive threat to how the team would fare without him, and if the team doesn't do well on the pitch that will ultimately hurt them financially. Keep Fabregas, no need to sign Arteta, and who knows- maybe the collapse at the start of the season wouldn't have happened had we kept Fabregas and Wenger wouldn't have been forced into a few days of panic buying at the end of August!

Biggest regret about Fabregas- we missed out on the prospect of combining Cesc's supply with van Persie's current form.

The club has recently announced profits of 49.5M, we sold Cesc for 29M, don't sell Cesc- we still have profits of 20.5M and one of the worlds best players on our books. (Add in the 10M we wouldn't have had to spend on Arteta and we would have made a profit of 30.5M!)

I just feel that it is possible to both be profitable, and hang on to our best players. I only believe in buying players if we have to, so I'll never call for the club to spend 50M every summer! And about our young players, it's hard to get attached to them when a part of me can't help but believe that the club will only go and sell them when they start to approach peak value. I'd love to think Szcz and Wilshere and Oxo-C will still be at Arsenal in 5 or 6 years, but the way the club has been run in the last 6/7 years tells me they'll be gone and all we'll have left is the money we made from them :(

Not that I feel like going over the whole Cesc thing again but as far as I can tell he wanted to leave. Once a player wants to leave, they're going to leave. When had he signed that long contract? Might've just been doing Arsenal a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

amacachi wrote: »
    Not that I feel like going over the whole Cesc thing again but as far as I can tell he wanted to leave. Once a player wants to leave, they're going to leave. When had he signed that long contract? Might've just been doing Arsenal a favour.

Maybe, but Patrick Vieira wanted to leave many times over the course of his career, and the club held firm. In 2001, he really tore into Arsenal, criticised their ambition, said their signings weren't good enough (Campbell, van Bronckhorst, Wright, Jeffers, Intertoto) and that Arsenal wouldn't finish in the top 6 and to forget about Europe. (Went on to win the double!!)

A player should be sold when the club says so, not when the player says so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

jordainius wrote: »

I just feel that it is possible to both be profitable, and hang on to our best players. I only believe in buying players if we have to, so I'll never call for the club to spend 50M every summer! And about our young players, it's hard to get attached to them when a part of me can't help but believe that the club will only go and sell them when they start to approach peak value. I'd love to think Szcz and Wilshere and Oxo-C will still be at Arsenal in 5 or 6 years, but the way the club has been run in the last 6/7 years tells me they'll be gone and all we'll have left is the money we made from them :(

Out of those three, Chamberlain is the only one not to come through the youth system. Szczesny has been here for I think 8 years, Wilshere for 11 or 12. Likewise with Frimpong and the current batch of youth players on the fringes. It's been quite a while since we've had players at the club from that young make the first team. Most players who come through turn out to be not quite good enough and get sold on. Unlike the players that get bought, those who come through the system are Arsenal through and through. I can't see them wanting to leave unless something goes majorly wrong at the club.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Ryo is yet another one trick pony. If he can't beat his man on the right then he loses the ball. Won't make it imo.

I haven't seen enough of him to make a peoper judgement yet. Looks good today though, his setpieces and crosses look pretty good and just had nice assist to set up what could be the winner for Bolton. I'm not willing to write him off yet, he's only 19 sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

2-1 Bolton, tidy finish Klasnic!

Wonderful control and assist from Miyachi to set him up. Lad didn't have a great game and looked lost on the wing, but when he got ball to feet in the middle of the park there, he had the intelligence (cough cough, Walcott) to play it through for Klasnic.

jordainius wrote: »
    Maybe, but Patrick Vieira wanted to leave many times over the course of his career, and the club held firm. In 2001, he really tore into Arsenal, criticised their ambition, said their signings weren't good enough (Campbell, van Bronckhorst, Wright, Jeffers, Intertoto) and that Arsenal wouldn't finish in the top 6 and to forget about Europe. (Went on to win the double!!)

A player should be sold when the club says so, not when the player says so!

Can't say I know much about that with Vieira but it didn't seem to affect his performances, Cesc looked off last season to me. There's no point holding onto a player who won't do their job, different players will react differently to such situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

2-1 Bolton, tidy finish Klasnic!

Wonderful control and assist from Miyachi to set him up. Lad didn't have a great game and looked lost on the wing, but when he got ball to feet in the middle of the park there, he had the intelligence (cough cough, Walcott) to play it through for Klasnic.

Didn't see the whole game, but Gary Neville game him Man of the Match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Miyachi looks a great talent
    has a great attitude on the pitch too the complete opposite of Arshavin

Dercola wrote: »
    Didn't see the whole game, but Gary Neville game him Man of the Match?

I see that. Sods Law. I couldn't see a Man of the Match performance in what he did to be honest. he does try hard though which is nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Oul Bendy boots gets on the scoresheet against Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Redzer7 wrote: »

All part of Wenger's master plan :pac:

Redzer7 wrote: »

Have we anyone with Stoke ?

Have we anyone with Stoke ?

Pennant on the bench but think Stoke have used their 3 subs already :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd have Bendtner over Chamakh and Park to be honest.

Oranage2 wrote: »

In terms of ability yeah, but since Bendtner says he never wants to play for us again he can sod off.
    I'd prefer Podolski to all 3 :)

Got stretchered off, definitely has arsenal in his DNA :pac:

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    In terms of ability yeah, but since Bendtner says he never wants to play for us again he can sod off.
    I'd prefer Podolski to all 3 :)

Well hopefully the Podolski deal is true.

As for Bendy, there were times this season I actually thought "We could really do with Bendtner coming on", couldnt believe I even thought that.

Though as you said it's unlikely he will stay.

Everton winning 1 nil! Come on the lads haha.

Great goal too.

Posted this in the Liverpool thread, grim stuff for them

- |P|W|D|L|F|A|GD|Pts|Win%|PPG
    Hodgson |20|7| 4|9|24|27|+3|25|35|1.25
    Kenny |27|10|9|8|30|26|+4|39|37|1.44

Still, glad I found 4 Liverpool fans before the end of last season who were willing to bet that they'd finish above Arsenal this year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

does anyone on here know if the thread about LOF has been taken down?

Great goal too.

Still, glad I found 4 Liverpool fans before the end of last season who were willing to bet that they'd finish above Arsenal this year. :D

Hodgson has 20 million to spend if I can remember, Kenny spent 100 odd million.

Shocking stuff really.

Shocking stuff really.
    They need 19 points from 33 to match their points total from last year. They've a handy enough run-in to be fair so they should do. Chronic waste of money though. The justifications have been brilliant, the argument that Carroll cost -15million and now that that was the last transfer window that wouldn't be counted under FFP, sure why not just flush a few million down the toilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To fill you in on Bendtner lads:

He's been excellent for us over the last few months. He played OK under Bruce, but like every player in the squad he has improved vastly under O'Neill. He's a vital part of the way we play. He holds the ball up superbly well and this allows the likes of McClean and Larsson to get forward when we break. He's also excellent with his back to goal. There's still a certain section of our fans that say he's ''lazy'', ''shite'' etc, but I think that's more to do with the fact that we're so used to watching cloggers over the years that when we do have genuine quality in our team people don't appreciate the fact that he doesn't need to tear around the field like a headless chicken to be effective.

I hope we sign him permanently, but I can see top sides in Germany and France making a move for him too, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Great goal too.

Shocking stuff really.

Manager|Purchased|Sold|Net|Average
    Kenny Dalglish|£114.85m|£76.85m|£38m|£25.33m
    Roy Hodgson|£80.45m|£85.6m|-£5.15m|-£5.15m

Arsenal thread is it?

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Manager|Purchased|Sold|Net|Average
    Kenny Dalglish|£114.85m|£76.85m|£38m|£25.33m
    Roy Hodgson|£80.45m|£85.6m|-£5.15m|-£5.15m

80 million did that include is house aswell?

No chance he spent that much.

Edit:

All I can see is that hodg spent

3 mil on kolchelski
    11 mil on Meireles
    4 mil Poulsen
    Jovanovic and J cole free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement