Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an old ADSL modem/wireless router be used as a Wifi network range extender ?

Options
  • 28-05-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

My wireless network doesn't reach as far as I would like so I was going to buy a wireless range extender. I realized however that I have two unused ADSL-modem/Wireless routers and I was wondering if either of them could be configured as a Wireless bridge?
    The models are:
    ZyXEL P-Series (Modle #: P-660HW-T1 v3)
    Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router (Model #:F5D7632-4)
    I did find a 'Network Bridging' setting under the WAN 'Connection Type' field on both models, so I tried setting this and then disabling DHCP and setting the SSID and security credentials for the WLAN to match my existing wireless network but this didn't work.
    So does anyone know, can these models be used as wireless bridges ? Or is the 'Bridging mode' WAN setting intended for something else ?

Thanks,

Usjes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They can be used as Access Points (Ethernet in, Wireless out) but not as wireless repeaters (Wireless in, Wireless out).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

ED E wrote: »
    They can be used as Access Points (Ethernet in, Wireless out) but not as wireless repeaters (Wireless in, Wireless out).

I would like to run a long ethernet cable from my main tp link router to the zyxel to extend wifi coverage downstairs but i cant get any of online guides on this to work. Would you have any advice please? Thanks

Advertisement