Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fbstatic virus?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

For the past week I've struggled to even get to the Facebook sign in page. It's very slow to load and when it does it's an odd bareboned version of the page. I keep noticing this 'waiting for fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net' constantly in the corner of the screen? Is it a virus? How can I get rid of it? I have run Malwarebytes numerous times and re-set Firefox twice to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Google it and read the Bleeping Computer entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

does internet explorer do the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

FSL wrote: »
    Google it and read the Bleeping Computer entry.

Tried it. No joy.

DaveR1000 wrote: »
    does internet explorer do the same ?

Works fine on IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

Firefox a versions back used to do this on me on fb and ebay a lot - download ccleaner and run it - resetting firefox doesn't remove cached pages etc. reckon thats your issue.

btw ccleaner wont delete anything you dont want it to - read and check the options it gives

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Facebook was very temperamental last night btw... On pc only but worked fine via the mobile app on the same wifi network. Think they were having issues with some of their CDNs..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Not a virus,

As Yoyo said,
    fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net is part of a content delivery network.

akamai is a reputable content provider that Microsoft, Facebook and others use to try and provide faster web pages.

fbstatic-a is the subdomain that contains the facebook images etc.

ressem wrote: »
    Not a virus,

As Yoyo said,
    fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net is part of a content delivery network.

akamai is a reputable content provider that Microsoft, Facebook and others use to try and provide faster web pages.

fbstatic-a is the subdomain that contains the facebook images etc.

A joke if true. It has never been slow before I started to see this message in the corner. Why does it not appear in IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Schwiiing wrote: »
    A joke if true. It has never been slow before I started to see this message in the corner. Why does it not appear in IE?
    Are you using Adblock or Adblock Plus? Have you tried Firefox in Safe Mode?

advertsfox wrote: »
    Are you using Adblock or Adblock Plus? Have you tried Firefox in Safe Mode?

I've been using Adblock for as long as Ive been using Firefox. Which is about a year maybe 2 and never had a problem up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I've been using Adblock for as long as Ive been using Firefox. Which is about a year maybe 2 and never had a problem up to now.
    Adblock defs may have updated, you may need to allow fbstatic address. Disable Adblock and see if it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I have the same problem now also. facebook loading very slowly if at all.. all other sites running perfectly, is it just me?

mark17j wrote: »
    I have the same problem now also. facebook loading very slowly if at all.. all other sites running perfectly, is it just me?

Try other browsers. Facebook is perfect on IE. No mention of fbstatic either.
    Tried re-installing Firefox earlier but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Try other browsers. Facebook is perfect on IE. No mention of fbstatic either.
    Tried re-installing Firefox earlier but no joy.
    Thanks, yes Facebook working perfectly on IE..
    This problem only started happening last night using Firefox,
    Earlier in the day I updated Firefox to version 33.0 maybe that has something to do with it? Possibly not as Google Chrome having same problems with Facebook also.

EDIT
    I'm back on Firefox and all seems fine again
    (Hopefully it stays like that)

Advertisement