Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a Laptop?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi. My Laptop is years old and at this stage I think it needs to be replaced. I use it for basically the following things:

Store photographs and edit from time to time on basic free software.
    Have itunes, however now use Spotify so don't know really the last time I used itunes other than to back up my phone last week when I upgraded.
    Download programmes and film using Torrents.

I do all my other browsing, shopping and email on my IPad or phone.

So is there anything else I should get other than a cheap laptop <=€400

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

You could resurrect the ol' thing by installing Lubuntu?

http://lubuntu.net/

Anything "entry level" would be ok. 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD (or 1TB if you're doing a lot of photo editing). That should work out around 400e or cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I would suggest spending the extra money on making sure it has a 7200RPM drive or SSD. I have a 1TB 5400RPM drive and I don't recommend it, it seems to always be overloaded/slow to access.

The worst thing about budget laptops nowadays are the screens and the hard drives. Any i3 CPU with 4GB of ram is fine for basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

http://lubuntu.net/

Anything "entry level" would be ok. 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD (or 1TB if you're doing a lot of photo editing). That should work out around 400e or cheaper.

mate dont even get me started i still use my old xp with 500mb ram hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you have to ask, the answer is probably no.

I cant imagine life without my laptop. For example this post would have taken me longer to write on a tablet.
    #Note to self: Need to start the fund for the next laptop for when this eventually dies.

If you do all your browsing on a tablet or phone and are simply using the laptop for storage, then there are much cheaper ways of backing up phones etc than buying a new laptop.There is photo editing

I have torrent clients on both my phone and tablet,

Its not that the machine is slow or old, its that he doesn't use it for much and so wonders if he needs it. Maybe he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A SSD makes a massive difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

beauf wrote: »
    A SSD makes a massive difference.

Did you even read the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

syklops wrote: »
    Did you even read the OP?

Attack the post, not the poster. There's another option to buying a new laptop. It is to make the old laptop more useful. Having a machine, like an old laptop is always useful as a local backup device. Maybe its as a backup machine, a media server, to configure your router, a test machine for wifi and other things, configuring a wifi printer, a download machine, backing up photos on DVD's etc. An SSD makes an old machine (that you might think needs replacing) feel like a new machine, and thus more useful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Leave the moderating to the mods folks. If you have an issue with a particular post report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

The recession is over, buy it , you deserve it , shop local and support Irish jobs , buy a dell .

Advertisement