Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone familiar with rs232?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Ok, problem is, we have a modem, with an rs232 connection (25 pin), going to a piece of equipment.

the kicker is, this piece of equipment only uses:
    1:screen
    2: RD
    3:TD
    5:GND

that's it ...

as you can see straight off there are no carrier detect pins etc... activated by the connecting equipment.

so ...

how do we wire up the connector to the modem to fool it into thinking it has a connected peripheral and will send and receive traffic ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jtceltic

Hi Arctan,
    I used a US robotics modem before to connect to equipment, it used a 25 way plug so I had to short out cores 4,5 and 20 to simulate at connection

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jtceltic

Hi Arctan,
    I used a US robotics modem before to connect to equipment, it used a 25 way plug so I had to short out cores 4,5 and 20 to simulate at connection, Pin 2 & 3 was the RD and TD and pin 7 was Ground

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is probably what you need:

http://www.root6.com/blog/index.php/2012/09/rs232-fifty-years-old-some-notes/

Check out the 3 pin null modem near the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

thanks guys,

still to go through them, the 3wire null config in that link, that's exactly what we tried, except we have

CTS
    RTS
    DSR : Shorted together

and

DCD
    DTR: shorted together

wheras on the site, it says it should be

CTS
    RTS : Shorted together

and

DSR
    DCD
    DTR : shorted together

would this make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

arctan wrote: »
    thanks guys,

still to go through them, the 3wire null config in that link, that's exactly what we tried, except we have

CTS
    RTS
    DSR : Shorted together

and

DCD
    DTR: shorted together

wheras on the site, it says it should be

CTS
    RTS : Shorted together

and

DSR
    DCD
    DTR : shorted together

would this make a difference?

That is the pin out for a 9 pin, have a look here-it may be different for a 25 pin.
    I have to use 9 pin null leads occasionally to connect a PC's serial port to connect to CCTV matrix', and use an off the shelf 9 pin Startech lead. They should have a 25 pin cable, or a converter that will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

sorry, forgot to mention that it is actually a 9 pin into the piece of equipment, its 25 on the modem, they have a 25 to 9 converter in place, so in theory, the 9 pin null should work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

arctan wrote: »
    sorry, forgot to mention that it is actually a 9 pin into the piece of equipment, its 25 on the modem, they have a 25 to 9 converter in place, so in theory, the 9 pin null should work ?

Should do, you can get a 25>9 pin null modem cable as well.

Advertisement