Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a tablet as GPS?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off driving in Europe next month and was thinking of getting a tablet, Samsung or Google, with the intention of downloading an offline GPS App.

I was just wondering how effective it would be as a functioning offline GPS? For example, I have a Nokia X6 with Ovi maps which works very well as an offline GPS system but really needs a wifi or 3G connection to get an initial fix on my location; when I switch to integrated GPS only, it's almost impossible to get a fix on my location.

Has anyone got any experience of this or suggestions?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

With line of sight (when you're outdoors or the tablet can "see" satellites easy it will take several minutes to get a lock sometimes.

I've used Nokia with Ovi maps and found it really good. It can be annoying that it takes so long to get lock though.

Make sure you have the latest version of the maps you will use before you drop off wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

An external Bluetooth GPS receiver is the solution, they can get a fix far faster than the built-in GPS capability in Nokia devices. The device (it's the size of a matchbox) sits up on the dash and it sends the GPS data to the Nokia device which does the rest. They typically have a miniUSB port for taking a charge.

I have these models and they work with Nokia E51 and E55.

http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=223
    http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-537-bt-368i.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Just back from a week in London using my Nexus 7 , It was a flawless , I used Co Pilot GPS and it came with a 14 Day Trial of Voice Turn by Turn so it was free for my trip.
    I own a Garmin Nuvi but I had loaned to a Family member but glad I used the Nexus as it was quick as lightning on recalculations etc..

Advertisement