Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird VGA cable problem

Options
  • 18-10-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm trying to switch my monitor out for my larger TV. I did it before when I realised that both had a VGA input/output. As far as I know the tv worked grand before, I just took out the vga from my monitor & stuck it into the tv. The resolution was the same tho and I couldn't change it for whatever reason..

But now, a few months later it won't work. I actually had it working this morning on my first try for a few mins but restarted my desktop for updates only to be greeted with a series of random multicolored lines with the completely distorted "starting windows" mashed into it. When that goes away it shows "no signal" which stays just like that, although computer continues to start up normally because I can hear Skype opening through my speakers & can just plug in my monitor again without any issues.

When I start up my computer with my monitor plugged in and try switch it over when everything is finished starting up, it flashes my desktops screen before going back to no signal. Sometimes it's distorted, coloured weird or completely normal but only ever lasts a second. Any solutions or theory's as to what is causing this?

Notes:
    I tried changing the resolution to different ones numerous times.

I restarted several times over the course of today.

Couldn't find any other similar cases on Google.

My computer doesn't have a hdmi input/output so I couldn't check to see if that worked but the TV works fine on my ps3 with a hdmi cable and SD so it can't be the TV.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Sounds like a dodgy cable to me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd also make sure your video card drivers are up to date, also try another VGA cable as advised above if possible. Could be a bad driver causing the problem

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

yoyo wrote: »
    I'd also make sure your video card drivers are up to date, also try another VGA cable as advised above if possible. Could be a bad driver causing the problem

Well my drivers are up to date, I checked that but the cable might be the culprit. Under further inspection I noticed tiny white sparks emitting from the back of my tv as the VGA pins rub against the input while I shove it in.. If I get a fast, clean shove in it doesn't spark but when I rub it at all it sparks a little bit? Any idea as to why?

Well my drivers are up to date, I checked that but the cable might be the culprit. Under further inspection I noticed tiny white sparks emitting from the back of my tv as the VGA pins rub against the input while I shove it in.. If I get a fast, clean shove in it doesn't spark but when I rub it at all it sparks a little bit? Any idea as to why?

Try plugging the cable in with the TV unplugged, see if you can reproduce the issue. Do you have another computer/laptop you could try the VGA connection with? This should rule out the cable :) .

Nick

Try plugging the cable in with the TV unplugged

No sparks unplugged? Again a flash of my screen in a random colour before it goes back to no signal? Could my computer/tv be overloading or something?

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No sparks unplugged? Again a flash of my screen in a random colour before it goes back to no signal? Could my computer/tv be overloading or something?

Check each and of the VGA cable - see if there are any pins bent or broken. They aren't difficult to bend back on themselves and could be grounding out against each other or the outer sheath.

I'd try another cable if possible. Could also be the TVs VGA port is dodgy. Computer probably isn't the issue, particularly as the drivers are all up to date

Nick

I'd try another cable if possible.

Yeh, just tried the cable on another tv and had the exact same result. I'll double check my drivers and buy a new cable tomorrow :)

Thanks, Nick

I'd try another cable if possible. Could also be the TVs VGA port is dodgy. Computer probably isn't the issue

Well, i'm back... I bought a new cable, works with my monitor but same result with TV? Little sparks still there so I presume it's the computer. Drivers are up to date for sure but I can't see it being the TV'a fault as it works with another tv in my house... Fairly annoying to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Sounds like an earthing problem. Check both the comp and TV are properly earthed. If you could move a TV over to where you have the working monitor plugged in and unplug it and then plug the TV into the same power outlet and see if you have the same problem.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Sounds like an earthing problem. Check both the comp and TV are properly earthed. If you could move a TV over to where you have the working monitor plugged in and unplug it and then plug the TV into the same power outlet and see if you have the same problem.

They're in the same extension lead, basically in the exact same spot, using the same cable in the same output on my computer? The sparks are so small, they barely even heat up the mental pins or surrounding mental. They're just tiny blueish-white sparks when mental touches mental on the VGA input/output.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

As a test if you could plug directly into the wall socket to eliminate extension weirdness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most devices use floating grounds so the sparks wouldn't normally be of concern. TV's usually have an earth connection to protect it from lightening via the antenna socket. One possibility is that something in your setup has changed e.g. a new device or antenna setup perhaps, a good starting point is to disconnect all connectors from the TV - HDMI, SCART, Antenna, STB's - and try your VGA again.

Ken

Hmm, both vga cables (new and old) are still sparking when my TV is plugged directly into the wall. Also plugged out anything else and tried the extension lead. I then removed anything else plugged into my computer besides my mouse and keyboard just to check that.

I'm convinced it's just my computer at this stage rejecting the telly for some reason.. any idea if my graphics card just can't handle a TV or something, it's just integrated graphics on a budget ready built computer but it worked ages ago no problem for a good week or so, so I ruled out any computer components. I'm going to buy a VGA to DVI adapter to see if it's the VGA port on my computer, maybe my DVI port will work better?

Advertisement