Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on irish essay

Options
  • 06-12-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

im looking for any advise or tips people have on writing a good standard irish essay honours level.
    i use all the standard throw away phrases like: i ndariare, de gnath, uarainta, ar an hiomlán, ar an lamh eile, afach

any other advise on how to improve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Well i start off with a general paragraph.. just how whatever topic im discussing is always in the news.. Very easy to change it to suit the topic..
    oh and apparently examiners love Questions at the beginning of a new papragraph.. What can we do? what is the cause to this problem? How can we solve it? i cant remember the Irish versions of them tho :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moiragannaire

Get Smaointe, by Diarmuid O Tuama. And Foinse in the Indo every Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

I have some good notes, pm me if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

last year we all just learnt recession essays!paided off very well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I can't really give you any tips....
    You really just need to know how to waffle. I you don't know some general phrases, learn some! you can throw them into any essay! I got stuck with an awful essay in my Christmas exams and literally just wrote 3 pages writing general crap and circling aroun the point, still got high marks. Plan it well at the start! Obviously not too well, just about 5 minutes. Throw down somewords for each paragraph, maybe a few phrases

Write as much as you can for the intro paragraph, its so easy! Just basically summarise everything you are about to mention later, and throw in a few hypothetical questions and stuff. Came for the conclusion, summarise the whole lot and just throw a two or three line summary at the end

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Use the saor briathar as much as you can. Try and use the modh coinníollach. Try and make it interesting in some way. Reading 100s of aistí saying the same thing couldn't be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 coileachrua

not being smart kueef but watch your spelling first of all .... i ndáiríre, uaireanta and your fadas.. de gnáth, lámh. LC examiners don't take too kindly to mistakes like this at higher level and will be reflected in your marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CacaLuvsCuddles

Hi there!
    I did my LC last year and took the Higher Level Irish paper, I got a good result but I know where I went wrong.
    Keep a catagorised folder(recession, family, friendship etc) and fill it with all kinds of phrases and vocabulary. If you hear something new in class write it in too, you'd be surprised what helps! Look through it on a regular basis, a different section each day to avoid getting bored.
    Don't be afraid to ask your teacher for extra phrases and vocab either, they are there to help.
    Also, you should test yourself on what you have studied on a regular basis.

I hope this helps, you have probably heard it all before but it will make a huge difference.
    The very best of luck to you in your exams.

Catherine.

Advertisement