Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT for travelling spouse

Options
124»

Comments

ardmacha wrote: »
    She freely entered into marriage, something which greatly changes your tax status, to your advantage and disadvantage. Were she single she could spend every weekend in Dublin without issue.

So basically, She was an NI resident but she married an state resident so became an Irish resident over night. If this is the case the OP has now become an NI resident as he married an NI resident.

So to sum up the op does not have to pay vrt as he is not an Irish resident as he knowingly married an NI resident.

The above shows how ridiculous the argument is.

I don't care what is said about marriage. The woman is an NI resident simple as that, there is nobody here or anywhere else that will convince me that spending a few days a month in Ireland makes her resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sean O

I am sure that there are people who still believe in the geocentric model of the universe and that no scientific explanation will change their minds. Lorenzo Small Frost ignores legal facts and persists in concentrating on his ill-informed 'opinion'. Further explanation is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Divorce.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

has it been mentioned where they got married. Surely if they were not married in Ireland, rather up north it would mean she no an IE citizen and he is a NI resident?

Irrelevant

• Advertisement

Sean O wrote: »
    Irrelevant

You are talking utter rubbish at this stage. You obviously don't want to see someone genuinely being exempt from vrt.

I await your response when the op returns and confirms that he has cleared it up and she is allowed to drive the car

It is not a legal fact, the woman is living in the NI which is part of the United Kingdom, she is there almost everyday, she works there, it is her home. What in the hell does she need to do to be considered a resident?

There is no way on earth your argument would stand up in court you would be thrown out for wasting the judges time.

I have seen your other posts on such matters as trying to avoid payment of road tax and trying to evade payment of VRT. Some of your postings I would regard as disgraceful. You apparently imported one vehicle under the Transfer of Residence provisions and you seem to consider yourself an expert on VRT legislation. Your knowledge is abysmal and I would advise anybody to completely ignore your 'advice'. I will not engage with any further comments you might make on this subject.

I have seen your other posts on such matters as trying to avoid payment of road tax and trying to evade payment of VRT. Some of your postings I would regard as disgraceful.

You apparently imported one vehicle under the Transfer of Residence provisions and you seem to consider yourself an expert on VRT legislation. Your knowledge is abysmal and I would advise anybody to completely ignore your 'advice'. I will not engage with any further comments you might make on this subject

I never said I was an expert but I certainly have a very good idea how the system works which I have used to my advantage on a few occasions along with some other things on the subject of vrt which I wont be sharing here.

I do lack your blinkered vision though of trying to apply legislation where at best it is in very shaky territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I do lack your blinkered vision though .

Indeed. :)

Sean O you are being very arrogant and pretty unhelpful in this whole argument. You just dismiss everything out of hand if it even appears not to agree with you, without any proper explanation or quoting the random bits of legislation you keep pointing people at.

What exactly do you do that you think you know you're 100% infallible in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

I know of someone in a similar situation.The husband works and lives in Donegal,while his wife who was originally from Derry has a house in Derry and also works there.
    I dont know what nights they spend in which house and care less,but I do know that the Wife was quizzed by Revenue about it and was able to prove her situation.She has changed her car a number of times since and still has her Northern Irish reg and receives no hassle.
    From my understanding the OP is in the same situation,and only needs to produce evidence of Wife's work,household bills,tax situation etc.She should then get a letter from Revenue stating her compliance,which she can then show to any Jobsworth at a Vrt checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

manta356 wrote: »
    From my understanding the OP is in the same situation,and only needs to produce evidence of Wife's work,household bills,tax situation etc.She should then get a letter from Revenue stating her compliance,which she can then show to any Jobsworth at a Vrt checkpoint.
    Unless it happens to be Sean O, then there's no way she's getting away with her tax-dodgin' ways, confound it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Lorenzo Small Frost I have seen your other posts on such matters as trying to avoid payment of road tax and trying to evade payment of VRT. Some of your postings I would regard as disgraceful. You apparently imported one vehicle under the Transfer of Residence provisions and you seem to consider yourself an expert on VRT legislation. Your knowledge is abysmal and I would advise anybody to completely ignore your 'advice'. I will not engage with any further comments you might make on this subject.

Whats road tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sinbadtinker

Dave147 wrote: »
    Whats road tax?

Ha ha! Good spot Dave147. I believe there is no such thing as "road tax" in Ireland. The "person" who mentioned road tax might be working to have such a thing included though. We could then all pay motor tax, vrt and road tax. Ah, bliss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

sinbadtinker,

Welcome to boards. However, try not to bump old threads.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement