Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E4 not interactive for BB5

• 22-05-2004 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Got an email from channel 4 saying that irish viewers will not be able access the interactive features on e4 for big brother 5. Something got to do with the seperate feed for irish customers, with irish ads. CRAP. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

The Irish edition of the magazine says different.

Page 6 bottom left under the heading the Hot List.

:confused:

Never a straight answer from Sky is there ?

haven't seen the magazine yet, but it's often contained stuff by accident or whatever that should be in the UK edition but not the Irish edition-It's a wait and see...:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd imagine that, given that it's part of a larger list and even smaller than the picture of Elmo next to it, that this is just something that wasn't missed when making the pretty basic changes they make for the Irish version. I wouldn't take it as evidence of anything to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

the upside down trick used to work but has since gone, so I suppose if you have a ftv card, ya should be able to recieve BB5 interactive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skyeye

FTV card only provides limited interactivity on C4, voting via the red button ect. but dosen't work for E4. So no choice of camera angles. wonder if it's possible to add the interactive feeds via add channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

E4 not interactive for BB5
    Got an email from channel 4 saying that irish viewers will not be able access the interactive features on e4 for big brother 5. Something got to do with the seperate feed for irish customers, with irish ads. CRAP

I think this will be the third year in a row that Irish subscribers will have no interective BB feed.

As for the magazine, they often make miskates in it advertsing services that are UK only (e.g. CBBC Channel, ITV2 etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I remember in BB2 we could get all the interactive feeds but since then Irish adds have been introduced onto E4 and it must of effectived the interactive feeds. But most likely they could'ent be arsed to get someone to sort it out for their Irish viewers.:mad:

If you go to E4 when using your FTV card and then replace it with your Irish sub card, you should get the UK E4 up on screen then. Its a longer way of doing the upside down card trick

yes Skyuser but when you do this the red dot will appear and when you press the red button on the remote it will seem to be loading( all very exciting )

But then up appears the screen This service in not available in RO, it did it all last year and theres already a number of threads about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

No interactive for Big Brother? :eek: :eek:

Damn!!! now i won't be able to switch from bed to bed during the night, and focus in on everybody sleeping ;);)

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I believe you are wrong as I have done this and have successfully used interactive E4. Nothing comes on screen to stop me. It is the UK E4 so why would it stop?

But without valid Family pack card surely E4 is unavailable.

What your doing suggests that (possibly temporaily) that the UK/London version of E4 is /was FTA.

There are at least two separate transmissions of E4. Irish Card you get one, UK card or London EPG by "faulty card" trick you get the other.

But the "faulty card" / upside down card "trick" does not allow reception of ANY pay TV, PPV or FTV channels, only FTA channels.

I do hope your right but I know for a fact last year BB interactive didn't work,
    guess we won't find out for sure untill next Friday night

:D
    How you think the show will go this year???

Originally posted by Skyuser
    I believe you are wrong as I have done this and have successfully used interactive E4. Nothing comes on screen to stop me. It is the UK E4 so why would it stop?
    Cough
    you had the older type card back then? don't think the upside down trick works anymore since the last software update does it?
    And anyway...
    When I used have an Irish sub,I'd put in my ftv card and tune to e4, quickly take out the ftv card and put in the irish card which had the effect of giving me uk e4.

press interactive though and the digibox will read the card properly this time, realise it's irishness and just gave me the puny interactive big brother without the multi camera viewing :/

However for this year i have a UK sub so I'll have BB interactive regardless in all it's glory :D \o/

Incidently I hear they are giving them a very tiny house this year to make it very closterphobic for them and have just a bland carpet and green walls to enhance their mood swings...

no i'm not saying its fta, look i'm not arguing about it anymore, you can watch E4 without interactive while I will watch it interactive, OK!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Earthman

However for this year i have a UK sub so I'll have BB interactive regardless in all it's glory :D \o/

Incidently I hear they are giving them a very tiny house this year to make it very closterphobic for them and have just a bland carpet and green walls to enhance their mood swings...

Hehe, uk sub is handy ;)

The house is a lot smaller with only one bedroom. Living area is smaller too, and apparently, the ceilings have been lowered, or floor raised to make it smaller.

Pics and stuff on this site
    http://www.bigbrotherbig.co.uk/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What skyuser is saying is actually correct. I was able to play the Big Brother game this evening by using the method he is on about. Something must have changed though, because I remember trying this last year and my receiver would freeze up after a few seconds or else the message about ROI would appear. Somehow or another I cant see this lasting though.

Finally somebody can do what I can do on E4. This method was stopped with the update to sky boxes, but I can't see a lot they can do now with the FTV card method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Hi Everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

It seems unfair that we cannot access interactive stuff on E4,although we can see the UK version of the channel on "Other Channels"

Can someone explain to me in simple terms, how the red button links to an interactive channel works?. Would it be similar to a hyperlink in a web page to put it very basically, which redirects your box to the transponder which the interactive channel is on?

If this were the case, it must be possible to link both versions of E4 to the same interactive transponder(s) without the need for a seperate transponder specifically for E4 Ireland.

Or am I totally off the mark?

I can get the test version up on two Panasonic digiboxes, using the FTV card swap method,but the menus just say not available.I cannot get this to work at all on my Sky+ box as it reverts to "there is a technical fault with this channel" as soon as it re-reads the irish sub card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

The reason they are not both on the same satellite is because it was cheaper for C4 to hire out transponder capability on Eurobird which is at the same orbital position as Astra(where we receive Sky Digital services from), so its a money issue.

Heres what i posted in a thread a few months ago about this :

Short answer,.... no.
    The reason its not interactive is the main C4 and E4 uk transponder is carried on Astra 2 along with the Interactive feeds for Big Brother viewable on E4 uk only.

E4 Eire is carried on Eurobird. So they arent willing to double up
    on Interactive feeds to provide them on Eurobird transponder for what they consider to be a limited irish audience. They are lazy.

The fact that E4 UK+1(and there is no Eire version of this yet) is now carried on Eurobird alognside E4 Eire i thought might have meant C4 creating a duplicate interactive for this transponder but interactive is not provided on E4+1 UK.
    If they would just get off their asses and move E4 Eire to the main transponder or at least move E4 UK to Eurobird then we will never see that happen.

The annoying thing is we had the interactive feeds in BB2, because there was no E4 Eire, we got the UK one, in BB3 the interactive button came up but it would say when you clicked live cameras "This service is not available in Republic of Ireland", by this time of course we were watching E4 Eire, then in BB4 nothing at all. They made all the promises in the world after BB3 that they would bring it to Irish viewers but no they didnt.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Leonard
    What skyuser is saying is actually correct. I was able to play the Big Brother game this evening by using the method he is on about. Something must have changed though, because I remember trying this last year and my receiver would freeze up after a few seconds or else the message about ROI would appear. Somehow or another I cant see this lasting though.

No problem playing the big brother game because its SKY INTERACTIVE and it even says it on the screen. I played it the other night just to make sure that the red dot was working. Just like like last year but last year when it came to trying to get big brother feeds by interactive it would say its loading and then say Sorry this is not available to people in the ROI.

Won't know for sure untill friday

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    No problem playing the big brother game because its SKY INTERACTIVE and it even says it on the screen. I played it the other night just to make sure that the red dot was working. Just like like last year but last year when it came to trying to get big brother feeds by interactive it would say its loading and then say Sorry this is not available to people in the ROI.

Won't know for sure untill friday

Thats what I actually thought. I remember trying this last year and the very message you are on about appeared.

Hopefully now that the CH4 feed is showing a BB5 title, this may be the feed.

NO BIG BROTHER INTERACTIVE.
    End of disscusion:(

Ah you aren't missing much...
    It consists of one screen only at the moment and its the same as what is on the main e4 channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

The live broadcast on E4 has now finished but it is still viewable,for those who previously stored it, on the "Test" frequency as discussed in the Channel4 thread.

In the UK all there getting is one picture feed same as 7521 channel, so some people have BB interactive.

Originally posted by Skyuser
    no i'm not saying its fta, look i'm not arguing about it anymore, you can watch E4 without interactive while I will watch it interactive, OK!

Just wondering Skyuser were you able to get interactive feeds via E4 all I got was a red box saying there may be strong language and then please wait ,
    please wait, please wait, and if I was still there it would be saying please wait.:D

TippTop I tried also and like you I got the same results. Why do I get the feeling Skyuser will remain very quiet for the duration of this thread.

I know I pointed out earlier in the thread, that what skyuser was on about was correct, but it was actually pointed out to me that I was indeed using Sky Interactive rather than E4 active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

I tried this method and it kept saying "please wait", i then tried it for a third time and it worked.

But i have the hidden feed tuned in anyway so i didnt really need it, anyway nice to know it works.

• Advertisement

I've tried about twice every day since BB started and it worked on Sunday night, but I two have the interactive streem saved. I tried last night but it didn't work.

sorry, for late post, but yes, it does work for me. Perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

You mean there are actually people out there who watch this crap? :eek:

Advertisement