Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta

• 25-05-2004 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

hi

I currently have sky and am thinking of cancelling subscription and just running with my FTV card - but I was also interested in subscribing to the new SPL games on Setanta next season. Does anyone know if I can still do this if I cancel my sky subscription?

Cheers.
    Jaggie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Did you see Setanta's new price announced today?
    stg£99 a year (Sky's Premiership Plus is only £50, as far as I'm aware), or £12.99 monthly. There is outrage on the Celtic fans forums, predicting a massive failure based on these inflated prices. I don't know the Euro price for Irish viewers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Yeah the price is pretty shocking for the average quality of a game.

But considering I only get to see my team ( *whispers Rangers*;) ) when they play Celtic then tis pretty much the only option I have now that bbc have no rights anymore. :dunno: Do RTE still have the rights to show old firm matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Andy Mc

I agree with the above comments that the price is shocking.
    The only games I would be interested in watching anyway are the old firm games. The rest of the games will involve Rangers or Celtic beating a poor team or even worse two poor teams playing each other. Compared to Premplus at £1 per game £2.60 per game for this is way too much in the season ticket.
    I believe Setanta have the rights to 16 live Premiership games in ROI on Saturdays at 3pm. It will be interesting to see how they price those games but I would imagine with their track record that they will again price themselves out of the market with a lot of people.
    One package that I would be interested in is if they had the 4 old firm games and the 16 premiership games in a season ticket but I am guessing that would be too innovative and customer friendly for Setanta but we'll see.

Andy Mc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Andy Mc
    I believe Setanta have the rights to 16 live Premiership games in ROI on Saturdays at 3pm. It will be interesting to see how they price those games

they will have to price it reasonably considering the amount of games Sky Sports have for next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Andy Mc
    One package that I would be interested in is if they had the 4 old firm games and the 16 premiership games in a season ticket but I am guessing that would be too innovative and customer friendly for Setanta but we'll see.
    All Old Firm games will be on RTE/BBC anyway, won't they?

• Advertisement

nope, Setanta have the lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Has anyone checked the price of the Ireland games next weekend? Is there a special price for the 3 games in the Unity Cup or is it on a game by game basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Ireland games are €9.99 per match via Box Office.

On a seperate point, why are they not offering The Sunday Game via PPV when they are showing it commercially via their other platforms?

99 sterling is really steep for the SPL considering wasn't it 25 Sterling, 35 Euro I paid for the season ticket this year.

But I imagine that they will have plenty of takers. 60/70 Euro for a new jersey every year, 140 Euro to see a lot of the games. People will spend it.

Here in Spain people pay 11.99 to see PPV Spanish football, there's no season ticket so if you want to see your team expect to be paying at least an extra 24 euro a month and believe you me the salaries here are a hell of a lot less than in Britain and Ireland and in Britain people are a lot more willing to pay for football on TV then here. Sad but true from a consumers point of view.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Anyone know how many Scottish games Setanta are going to show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by byte
    Anyone know how many Scottish games Setanta are going to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

Sorry for the OT point but another area of complaint

I'm curious as to why after paying for last seasons SPL ticket I can't record Setanta games on Sky+......??, is the part of a rights problem, Setanta's renowned technical abilities or dodgy box problem. :confused:

Back on topic, I agree with everyone that the prices are excessive but its the only way for most Tims to get to see the Bhoys so we'll probably pay but I can't see the 4 year deal lasting if the suggested subscription figure for Setanta to break even is 150k.

Hail Hail :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This could go either way. Remember, before this, viewers in Scotland had 38 games FOR FREE on BBC Scotland, now they have to pay almost £100.

Either that the BBC have built up a groundswell of viewers that would pay for this now, or, (more likely) the reaction will be "Shove this, I'll only buy the odd game, if at all." Scottish football is not that popular outside of Scotland, even the old firm games when shown for free on BBC didnt exactly set the viewing figures alight and Sky didnt exactly bid too much for the time the BBC got the rights.

Ireland is a different story, we have our reasons. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

From the Scottish Daily Record

FANS FURIOUS AT £592 TV BILL May 26 2004

ARMCHAIR fans face shelling out £592 a year to watch football onTV.

Setanta revealed yesterday they will charge £99 for a package of SPL games next season.

Viewers who want to see the SPL and the English Premiership will have bills totalling at least £592.

Fans last night united to slate the 'scandalous' charges they must pay to watch their heroes.

To sign up to Setanta, viewers must have subscribed to a cable firm or satellite provider like Sky.

Sky Sportsworld coverage, which includes 88 English Premiership games, is £31 a month a massive £372 a year On top of that, the BBC's licence fee is £121 per year. With Setanta's coverage of SPL games costing £99, it means Scottish football fans will have to find £592 to watch top action.

Motherwell Supporters' Trust spokesman Keith Brown said: 'It stinks of everything that's wrong with our football. It's scandalous.'

Mike Barile, associate director of Dundee United, said of the Setanta deal: 'It's exorbitant.'

Last night, Setanta defended the price.

Spokeswoman Lesley Alexander said: 'Most games will be Old Firm but we will broadcast other matches. Setanta will also be first to show the highlights of all SPL games.'

This article is a bit erronious as you can get the Setanta channel on Sky without subscribing to any other Sky package. Of course you will have to have a digibox and dish to to so.

Of course the question that is never asked is how much the SPL and other football organisations are charging for the television rights in the first place. It is a bit disengenious for Dundee and Motherwell to comment negatively on the pricing when uktimately they are a beneficiary of the sale of television rights to Setanta or any other broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

I saw yesterday on RTE teletext that the Head of Sport at RTE is leaving to take up a similar position at Setanta.
    It looks like Setanta are setting long term goals.

Originally posted by Funky Phantom
    Sorry for the OT point but another area of complaint

I'm curious as to why after paying for last seasons SPL ticket I can't record Setanta games on Sky+......??, is the part of a rights problem, Setanta's renowned technical abilities or dodgy box problem. :confused:
    Hail Hail :D

The same thing happens with the Premiership Plus games. You can only record them to the hard disk if you are in front of the TV and push the r button. The box checks the purchase and then proceeds to record.

What you can't do is put the game into the planner to record in the future. You end up with a failed recording.

If this Setanta thing goes ahead then once they are charging a monthly fee Sky will have to do something with the software to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Originally posted by sayireland
    The same thing happens with the Premiership Plus games. You can only record them to the hard disk if you are in front of the TV and push the r button. The box checks the purchase and then proceeds to record.

What you can't do is put the game into the planner to record in the future. You end up with a failed recording.

If this Setanta thing goes ahead then once they are charging a monthly fee Sky will have to do something with the software to sort this out.

I have never had any problems recording any Premiership Plus matches on my Sky+ box through the planner providing that it was set to record withing 3 days of the match taking place. The match automatically deleted from the planner after 7 days. I had a season subscription if that made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

The new release software when they finally get round to releasing it to Sky+ boxes (before start of July is the current estimate) will allow you to set up a recording from box office up to seven days in advance, and as Redabbey says,you should have access to your recordings up to a week after they are first recorded, on all BO channels.

Originally posted by redabbey
    I have never had any problems recording any Premiership Plus matches on my Sky+ box through the planner providing that it was set to record withing 3 days of the match taking place. The match automatically deleted from the planner after 7 days. I had a season subscription if that made a difference.

Did you have the phone connected?

Maybe that was my problem, being outside the country this is impossible for me so maybe that's why I couldn't use the feature.

Did you have the phone connected?

Yes I did. I am on contract since last October. I had to relunctly connect the phone line after a warning letter.

• Advertisement

Yes I did. I am on contract since last October. I had to relunctly connect the phone line after a warning letter.

Are you a new customer since October? or have you have Sky before and only a + customer since October?

Do you have a mirror sub?

Are Sky starting to send out warning letters to all + customers who don't have the line connected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

:eek: :eek: What do setanta think we are? at prices like that, you'd mad to pay them, just to watch Ireland. I'd boycott the FAI, just for selling Setanta the rights for pay per view!!!

Are you a new customer since October? or have you have Sky before and only a + customer since October?

Do you have a mirror sub?

Are Sky starting to send out warning letters to all + customers who don't have the line connected?

No, I have $ky for about 3 years. I only upgraded to $ky+ last October. I also have the mirror sub in another room in the house. I think I will have to have the mirror sub box permantly connected to the phoneline even after the year contract runs out.

No, I have $ky for about 3 years. I only upgraded to $ky+ last October. I also have the mirror sub in another room in the house. I think I will have to have the mirror sub box permantly connected to the phoneline even after the year contract runs out.

mirror sub is the reason for that. how much is it these days?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    mirror sub is the reason for that. how much is it these days?

Since mid may the mirror sub has been reduced from €20 to €15 per month, and yes the phoneline connection is needed on both boxes at all times as long as you continue to sub to both.

Advertisement