Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Performance Problems

• 07-11-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All -

I've been having performance issues with my '05 Volvo XC90, symptoms being:

General lack of power/ sluggishness
    Affects higher gears/ speeds more but still 'heavier' in city driving
    Revs can drop slightly (by approx 100 - 200) when accelerating
    Problem particularly on going up hills
    coming back from Galway (to Dublin) last week regularly got "Engine Service Required" (amber) warning and car went in to limp mode
    Some smoke when I accelerate hard (cannot say if white or black but its certainly not too dark)

What I've found out since then:

Had my indy mechanic look at it. Error reported faulty air flow meter which has been replaced (yesterday) and fuel cleaner added (just to be sure). No errors were reported once the new AFM was fitted, the car driven and reconnected to diagnostics.

I can feel some improvement but its still a not 100% and I can still see some smoke if I accelerate hard (might be less than before). Mechanic told me that it could be like that for a few days yet as excess fuel is worked out of the system but performance should improve over the next few days.

How long/ how much driving would you expect it to take to clear excess fuel and for normal performance to resume?

Anything I can do to work it out any quicker e.g. long drive?

Cheers,

BJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved.

I presume this is a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭busterjones

Yes - sorry, this is a diesel (2.4 D5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Consider getting it Terracleaned. That'll clean out the whole of the fuel system.

Worked a treat on my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭busterjones

Update...

Left car back to independent mechanic - he fitted another air flow meter and reset everything but still no improvement.

Left it in to main dealer today to get full diagnostics done, (terrifying) results are as follows:

Intercooler gone (650 fitted ex. vat)
    Front engine pads gone (550 fitted ex. vat)
    2 x front bearings gone (600 fitted ex. vat)
    Rear Differential gone (1300 for recon, 2400 for new (both fitted ex. vat))

Still in shock to be honest.

On the intercooler and engine pads - how do prices look?

On the Rear Diff - he said that this was only starting to make noise and could last for a while but at same time may not - any advice please as love the car but cannot nearly afford these fixes!

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

All them prices look very high to me there all plus vat too so multiply by 1.23. Id say you need to go to a decent independant garage not main dealer.

3813 euro inc vat and that's with the recon diff :eek:

Edit maybe it's only 13.5 % vat in main dealers if there supplying and fitting parts
    Still 2837.5 euro though. Get a second opinion either way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'm struggling to figure out what engine 'pads' are. Brake pads maybe?

Intercooler is something you could get in a scrapyard: if there is an issue with it at all, it's likely to be holed, so you'll be losing some boost.

Has the rear diff ever been serviced? I'd try getting the oil in it changed before forking out on a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Engine pads probably means mounts I'd say. 4k in repairs to an 05 XC90, write off? Id be getting independent quotes first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Just my non expert opinion, but the intercooler is the only item there that would account for performance problems, (the rest would cause humming, clunking or screeching). If the thing still runs like crap after a second hand intercooler then there may be more mystery undiagnosed engine trouble..

As above, second opinion might be a good idea before you do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The rear diff would cause power issues too.... if theres no drive going to the rear and front at the same time then theres less power getting out at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The rear diff would cause power issues too.... if theres no drive going to the rear and front at the same time then theres less power getting out at once.
    Maybe. But in my bar stool opinion the diff would only account for noticeable performance problems if it was acting as a brake on the whole system, and I'd say it would be making horrendous noise at that stage! But I'm no expert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement