Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil check

Options
  • 05-11-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭

When is the best time to check the level of oil in a car

When warm or cold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Cold. When the oil has all dripped back into the sump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

cena wrote: »
    When is the best time to check the level of oil in a car

When warm or cold?

Depends on your specific car I believe, for me after driving the car for a while turn off the engine and leave it sit for about 10/15 minutes then check and you should have a good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Warm, switch off leave for 3-5 mins then check, twice.
    Make sure the oil isn't being scraped off the side of the dipstick tube.
    I check both sides of the dipstick to make sure, mine is flat steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Depends on your specific car I believe, for me after driving the car for a while turn off the engine and leave it sit for about 10/15 minutes then check and you should have a good reading.

Astra 1.4 07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

cena wrote: »
    Astra 1.4 07

Ya I'd go with 10/15 minutes after a drive, don't want the oil to be cold as it expands when heated and don't want the oil to still be around the engine, so that'll give it enough time to drain back into the sump while still being warm, probably doesn't matter so much in our climate though as it's never really that cold, but it's how I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Warm, switch off leave for 3-5 mins then check, twice.
    Make sure the oil isn't being scraped off the side of the dipstick tube.
    I check both sides of the dipstick to make sure, mine is flat steel.

I'd say 3-5 minutes is not really enough, 15 would be better.I know it would be thinner when warm than it is cold, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm of the opinion if you have the car on the flat, engine cold and have it up to the max then you have it perfect, can't understand why checking it when the engine is warm and oil mass has expanded that it would be better to test the level then? Surely at cold with it at the correct level all components will be properly lubricated on start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jimmyw wrote: »
    I'd say 3-5 minutes is not really enough, 15 would be better.I know it would be thinner when warm than it is cold, but still.
    I guess it depends on how fast your car drains down, when I change my oil from cold I can read it within 3 minutes or less.
    I really can't see a car taking 15 minutes to empty all the oil from the head down to the sump?
    Warm oil flows better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how fast your car drains down, when I change my oil from cold I can read it within 3 minutes or less.
    I really can't see a car taking 15 minutes to empty all the oil from the head down to the sump?
    Warm oil flows better as well.

Yeah, but it would be cooling down along the way, but of course too, I am a bit meticulous as well :D....to be sure, to be sure, thats me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm of the opinion if you have the car on the flat, engine cold and have it up to the max then you have it perfect, can't understand why checking it when the engine is warm and oil mass has expanded that it would be better to test the level then? Surely at cold with it at the correct level all components will be properly lubricated on start up.

It depends on what the manufacturer states in the owners manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If it's parked on a flat surface checking it when cold will give an accurate reading.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

guil wrote: »
    It depends on what the manufacturer states in the owners manual.

Ultimately this is the answer. Some cars are different. My 2001 bmw states to check the car 5 minutes after the engine has been turned off, after being at full operating temperature before switching off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Oh for God's sake... Cold, hot, 5 mins, 10 mins....blah blah.. Look, park the car on a level surface, pull the bonnet release lever, go into the house and get a piece of kitchen roll, pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, put it back into the engine all the way. Withdraw the dipstick, read the oil level...job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I think the manual in them astra h says that once it's hot leave it 10mins and then dip it for oil. I've done it this way and when cold with my astra and it made little difference. Just don't turn off the engine and dip it straight away as the oil won't have a chance to drain to the sump. Make sure it's on level ground though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jca wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake... Cold, hot, 5 mins, 10 mins....blah blah.. Look, park the car on a level surface, pull the bonnet release lever, go into the house and get a piece of kitchen roll, pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, put it back into the engine all the way. Withdraw the dipstick, read the oil level...job done.

If you're going to do it at all, you may as well do it right. There is a noticeable difference in mine between hot and cold. The manual says to check while the oil is hot, so that's what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If you're going to do it at all, you may as well do it right. There is a noticeable difference in mine between hot and cold. The manual says to check while the oil is hot, so that's what you should do.

I'd seriously doubt if there is a massive difference tbh. Once the oil is back in the sump, it's back in the sump. The book should'nt always be taken as gospel. When you measure the amount of oil that goes into your engine at an oil change its cold oil your measuring.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I'd seriously doubt if there is a massive difference tbh. Once the oil is back in the sump, it's back in the sump. The book should'nt always be taken as gospel. When you measure the amount of oil that goes into your engine at an oil change its cold oil your measuring.

I never said massive, i said noticeable. And we're not talking oil change, we're talking top ups. But either way, follow the manual...why anyone wouldn't is beyond me...it's hardly hassle doing it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

cold/lukewarm,preferably on a level area.
    oil level should be around 3/4 way up between min and max markings on dipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check it anytime. If line is not between min and max after wipe when stationary and level, come back to us and we'll take it from there ;)

• Advertisement

Rubbish.... Complete rubbish. In what way is it different from hot to cold? Higher when hot or higher when cold? Ffs it isn't rocket science. Have you ever heard the term, tolerance, it's plus or minus around a certain figure. Dip your engine if level is at minimum hot or cold the engine needs oil.... A certain amount of common sense needs to be applied here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

If agreement cannot be got on a simple task on oil check any job involving using tools must be a monumental task.

:
    If agreement cannot be got on a simple task on oil check any job involving using tools must be a monumental task.

:D:D That's Boards for ya:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do it once when cold, once when 5 mins running and then once after a half hour drive, if it's between the min and max for all 3 readings your good ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Do it once when cold, once when 5 mins running and then once after a half hour drive, if it's between the min and max for all 3 readings your good ;)

Is it even theoretically possible to have 3 readings one below min, one in between min and max and one above max in each of your 3 engine scenarios?

This thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

Astra-H manual says:

Check with the vehicle on a level surface. The engine must be at operating temperature and switched off for at least 5 minutes.
    Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, insert it to the stop on the handle, pull it out and read the engine oil level.
    Insert the dipstick to the stop on the handle and make half a turn.

Advertisement