Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Management Accepts No Responsibility" Signs

• 19-02-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

Here's a quick question I've always been curious about but never have a legit reason to ask until now:

I live in an apartment complex where it's secure car park has a sign at the entrance stating "Management accepts no responsibility for property loss or damage caused on these premises". Which is logical enough, but what I want to know is if this still applies if the damage caused was caused by the property itself? I know that signs like these were to absolve property owners from damage caused by other people but I'm not sure if that holds up here.

During the recent storms, a lot of water seeped into the underground car park through cracks in the concrete, picking up calcium along the way and has dripped onto a few cars (the process is know as lime leaching). In the past, it would drip a few tiny drops every so often that were manageable but now it has done some serious damage.

It's also important to note that the residue left of the car cannot be washed off easily; it needs to be delicately removed by soaking solution of vinegar & water over the damage and leaving it for a short while, then carefully lifting it (so the remaining concrete grit doesn't scratch the paint). That was do-able when it was a couple of small drops but now it's damaged the paint big time! And it's over a much larger area.

We reported it in the past, requesting a new space but the company said no and patched over the leak. The patch job didn't last long though and now they are saying that they will consider a permanent fix but that the damaged caused was not their responsibility. Are they correct?

The bloody paint it wrecked on both our cars! Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It seems the primary purpose of such a notice is to dissuade people.

However, an occupier (likely the management company in this case) can't absolve itself of all responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TeddyRuxpin

Victor wrote: »

However, an occupier (likely the management company in this case) can't absolve itself of all responsibilities.

Hi Victor,

I figured as much. Might be time to seek legal advice!

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote: »

This. "Nothing that happens here is our fault" has no legal standing and it's primary purpose is to get people to go away and not try to make claims for theft or someone else hitting their car.

The sign itself doesn't actually make the property owner any more or less liable for what happens on their property.

In the case described, yes in general the owner of a property is not liable for flood damage to someone else's property. But in this specific case where the leak has been previously fixed, there may be some liability. I say may because there's no such thing as a leak-proof leak fix. You would have to show that the fix itself was shoddy rather than simply succumbed to an exceptional weather event.

My advice would be to make the claim with your own insurance company and let them decide if they can chase the management company.

seamus wrote: »
    You would have to show that the fix itself was shoddy rather than simply succumbed to an exceptional weather event.

I have some photos back at the apartment but from what I can tell, the previous fix seemed to consist of a black paint-like, sealant painted onto the ceiling. Shortly afterwards, the stalactites started to appear through the paint.

I'd love to leave my insurance company out of this if at all possible as I don't know if something like this would affect my no claims bonus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I had the same problem in a an apartment block in Cork about 6 years ago.
    The management company paid for the clean up.
    No arguments.

• Advertisement

I had the same problem in a an apartment block in Cork about 6 years ago.
    The management company paid for the clean up.
    No arguments.

This. This makes me happy! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

This. This makes me happy! :P

I just asked nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I just asked nicely.
    Indeed, if you're a member of the management company, you're entitled to the details of the block insurance policy and you don't have to go through the management agent. You can just file the claim yourself directly with the insurance company.

They're more likely to fairly (and quickly) judge your request than the management agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote: »
    You can just file the claim yourself directly with the insurance company.
    I'm not so certain of this, as the property owner isn't a part to the policy.

Advertisement