Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Knex. wrote: »
    Is he out throwing rocks at the builders?

Mental image made me lol. We have our very own Tuco in Suarez don't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'm gutted he was sacked, wish he'd of walked before being pushed.

Dalglish? Classy enough to walk before being pushed? Not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Remember when Lucas got injured & you said his absence would prove he was a poor player & that anyone in the team could fill in his role with ease as well as offering more creativity?

That worked out well eh?

Alan, Lucas isn't creative.

And remember I've already shown you to be liar last time you alleged I said something. Don't have me to do it again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

lolthreats

Knex. wrote: »
    Is he out throwing rocks at the builders?

No it's the money men he scared off, not the builders.

We had a deal arranged for the naming rights, the sponsors didn't go ahead with it because of his "incident" and the way the club went about it.

Kenny, Commoli, Cotton - all gone already.

The smart money is on him being next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

daithijjj wrote: »
    Your own manager Alex Ferguson (correct?) said of Steve Bruce at Sunderland, that its not simply a point about how much you spend, its about giving time for a team to gel. A team cannot gel quickly when the personell gets such an overhaul. Im not making excuses here but you cannot put teams out where 70% of it has barely played with each other and expect telepathic play.

Football is not baseball, you dont play games several nights a week and get great performance. If these owners do not understand that cup runs will take away from your league play then they havent got a clue about the game of football. For reasons such as this is why Alex Ferguson has put out poor teams full of young lads in cup comps, losing at home to Coventry and Palace in recent years? because there are other prizes you wanted and the squad wont cope. It almost cost City the league and look at what they spent. We beat them over 2 legs in the CC semi but the league form dipped around the time. Now go on 2 cup runs.

It honestly is not excuses for the league position but football people can understand why such a thing would happen. We are talking about people with a hell of alot money, from another part of the world where a majority have no idea about 'soccer', you have to explain the term 'relegation'.

And what money are we talking about?, as said already earlier in this thread, LFC has invested 50 mil in the entire team in 4 years, outright investment. Chelsea have spent 100 mil more than that on players and add on god knows how much on managers. Nothing solid was ever built with haste. Hodgson lost his job because he alienated everyone, even the ones who wanted him to do well and we were nearer relegation than 8th.

Well first of all, I don't really buy into the cup runs being a significant factor for the poor league form. I think the fact that there was no European football this season, pretty much cancels that out. How many more extra games did the cup runs lead to in comparison to what they typically would do for Liverpool, 6 or 7?

I do agree with your point about teams needing time to gel however only a certain amount of leeway can be given on that score otherwise several managers that are taking teams nowhere wouldn't be sacked for that reason alone. Once a certain line is crossed when it comes to results over the course of a season, the manager has to go imo. Only 6 wins at Anfield in the PL all season and finishing up with 52 points just wasn't acceptable in any way, shape or form.

Ask yourself, could you really see Downing, Adam, Henderson, Enrique, Carroll and Suarez all gelling to an extent where they could consistently challenge for the top four? I can almost say for certain Downing and Adam, no. Henderson and Carroll are a whole lot of maybes, Enrique - probably and Suarez most definitely. There are too many question marks over too many of his signings, which has imo, ultimately lead to his departure.

Add that to his bizarre decision to continue to play Carragher over Coates, bringing on Carroll in games whilst simultaneously taking off one of your best crossers in Downing, dropping Carroll when he seems to have hit some form, his general inability to change games that aren't going Liverpool's way, waiting too long to make substitutions and although less relevant, his handling of the Suarez fiasco hardly did him any favours.

Then consider the fact that he had been out of management for over 10 years and to be perfectly frank with you, it just didn't bode well for the future. I can absolutely 100% see why FSG felt the need to change manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lucas is creative. Far more creative than any other CM liverpool have in the First team. (I don't include Gerrard here because he's not a CM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Randy Lerner made one of the worst managerial appointments in recent times by appointing McLeish at Villa. A spectacularly retarded decision. What about him leads you to believe in any way shape or form that he's a good judge of managerial talent?

Oh and Dave Whelan is basically a cartoon character. A bafoon of spectacular proportions. Who only a few months before hiring Martinez was telling anyone who'd listen he'd never allow a foreigner to manage Wigan. The man is a clown.

Which kind of makes Martinez's record more remarkable, bet Lerner wishes he went for him now. Wigan had the lowest revenues and wages budgets until ironically Swansea came up and maybe Norwich. He also financial constraints at Swansea because it is mostly fan owned. Kept Wigan up while bigger clubs went down. I'd rate him higher than Lambert because he has done it consistently and proven to be not a one season wonder or flavour of the month, or well has managed to be for 3 years!
    You would hope that someone with real vision is advising FSG. Someone like David Dein. Someone whose judgement we should really put our faith in. If they believe someone like Martinez is going to be a great manager then I'd have no problem with them appointing him.

To you it's a risk. To someone else it's vision.

*** I'm not speaking about Martinez in particular here

Must be the only one left at the club you could trust!

I'm a bit pissed off we've spent about £25 Million on managers in 2 years, not quite Chelsea levels and we'd different circumstances but we could have avoided all that and probably not be any worse off anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

what happens when the team actually shows no sign of "gelling", instead it gets worse?

Investment is needed, the owners no that big money will need to be spent to get where they want to be.

Its obvious now that they didn't want Kenny spending it which is understandable given his choices last summer.

What happens when the next guy comes in and gets 12 months if it doesnt work, and the next guy, and the next guy?, where does it end?.

What do you do, and who do you sign, if the players you really want, do not want to sign for you?.

The only mistake we made this year for me was put too much into the cups (hardly a crime) and not get another striker option. You give a man time to rectify such things and then make decisions. If Kenny had gone 12 months ago or in 12 months time having done another season like this one then fine. But not 1 season where you go to two cup finals.

What people are saying is, that i will want the next manager out in 12 months if he does not get CL, thats it, thats where it ends, you cannot have double standards.

G.K. wrote: »
    Lucas is creative. Far more creative than any other CM liverpool have in the First team. (I don't include Gerrard here because he's not a CM)

this is part of the reason I never post here.

You're all brainwashed mentalists with a warped view of reality. Enjoy, I'm off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Alan, Lucas isn't creative.

And remember I've already shown you to be liar last time you alleged I said something. Don't have me to do it again.

I didn't say Lucas was creative.

So you didn't say the role Lucas played in the team could be filled easily & we'd not miss him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

You're all brainwashed mentalists with a warped view of reality. Enjoy, I'm off.

Result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

On a sad day that cheered me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

what happens when the team actually shows no sign of "gelling", instead it gets worse?

Investment is needed, the owners no that big money will need to be spent to get where they want to be.

Its obvious now that they didn't want Kenny spending it which is understandable given his choices last summer.

Wonder what type of investment will be available, £30/40 Million net would have to be the minimum to tempt AVB or Deschamps. I don't think FSG can keep pumping that type of money in without CL football. We don't have many saleable assets that would make big money though we should have room on wages.
    G.K. wrote: »

Some People still see him as a boring old DM.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No it's the money men he scared off, not the builders.

We had a deal arranged for the naming rights, the sponsors didn't go ahead with it because of his "incident" and the way the club went about it.

Kenny, Commoli, Cotton - all gone already.

The smart money is on him being next.

This first part of this annoyingly makes sense although I'd still fancy LFC being able to sort a good deal for naming rights. We are one of the Worlds best known clubs, Suarez' "incident" won't of been able to change that.

Selling Suarez, on the other hand, in any attempt to rectify this incident does not make sense to me.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Of all people who you accuse of being brainwashed.

Add to that lets just say that's not the only reason you don't post here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Yeah he's a brain washed mentalist who is a Man United fan :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

opr wrote: »
    Yeah he's a brain washed mentalist who is a Leeds United fan :pac:

Opr

fyp

Yeah he's a brain washed mentalist who is a Man United fan :pac:

Opr

And one of the most sensible posters on the soccer forum, hence his recent "Modship".
    Think he's one of the younger posters here too yet you'd never think it. Says it all really. This forum is a nuthouse :D

• Advertisement

Is he really? lol sorry GK. Shows how much time I spend outside this thread. I had that opinion from something I read.

Edit - I was making the point that we must be doing some work if we have now managed to brain wash other teams fans with regards Lucas :)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

daithijjj wrote: »

What people are saying is, that i will want the next manager out in 12 months if he does not get CL, thats it, thats where it ends, you cannot have double standards.

That's not what most people are saying.

Whether or not you think Kenny was the right man for Liverpool goes beyond his league peformance this season. It's about whether or not you trust him to do the long-term rebuilding necessary.

Personally, I didn't rate his signings. I know he is not responsible for the prices paid, but f*** me, I could have told Kenny last summer that Downing would cost 15-20 million and Henderson 15m plus. Carroll cost 35 million, and you think Kenny had no idea that was going on? If signing Carroll was his decision, he could have pulled the plug when he realised the price. He didn't. He clearly thought these players were worth this money. That is my problem. It showed a lack of vision. Unimaginative, overpriced, overrated signings.

Furthermore, I don't think his tactics were much to write home about. I think his use of benches was downright awful (both in their makeup, and his actual substitutions) and he just filled me with no confidence in his ability to turn things around.

When the league went **** up, he made no effort to integrate Coates more into the team. Playing Carragher in the last game of the season was baffling.

Ultimately for me he had to go because I had no faith in him turning it around.
    Simple as that. I think the owners felt the same way, and I'm glad they acted upon it.

Much better to have a vision and act upon it rather than the "let's wait and see what happens next season approach."

Strangely, for someone who has wanted 3 managers removed in 3 seasons (I'm not proud of that, and I was wrong about Benitez, in hindsight) I am more than willing to give a manager time.

If a young manager came in and finished 6th/7th next season I would be happy to keep them on if they looked like they were bringing the club forward. If they were implementing a style of play on the team, introducing younger players, signing the right kinds of players.

Kenny, from our lowest ebb, didn't bring us forward nearly enough for me.

Love him, but that comes a distant second to my concerns for the clubs future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Is he really? lol sorry GK. Shows how much time I spend outside this thread. I had that opinion from something I read.

Edit - I was making the point that we must be doing some work if we have now managed to brain wash other teams fans with regards Lucas :)

Opr

Please tell us you have signatures turned off.

Ryan Babel ‏@RyanBabel
    He is and always BE #KingKenny

Please tell us you have signatures turned off.

Eh, yes, yes I do.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

amiable wrote: »
    Ryan Babel ‏@RyanBabel
    He is and always BE #KingKenny

You just know he's rhyming "BE" and "Kenny" in his head, and the makings of a rap is forming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Call me a MUFC fan if you want, I don't mind.

I'm a Leeds fan and the club is close to my heart but first and foremost I'm a football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lads don't discount mourinho
    I was told 3 weeks ago he would be managing Liverpool next year admittedly by a gob****e but now kennys gone I'm starting to think hold on.
    Plus the fact I remember mourinho speaking about his admiration of the club and fans before.
    No harm in aiming high start at the top I say

Lads don't discount mourinho
    I was told 3 weeks ago he would be managing Liverpool next year admittedly by a gob****e but now kennys gone I'm starting to think hold on.
    Plus the fact I remember mourinho speaking about his admiration of the club and fans before.
    No harm in aiming high start at the top I say

Not going to happen IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Strangely, for someone who has wanted 3 managers removed in 3 seasons (I'm not proud of that, and I was wrong about Benitez, in hindsight) I am more than willing to give a manager time.

The proof is in the pudding mate! 3 managers in 3 years you've wanted sacked.

You've jumped the fence baby, as Dunphy would say.
    If a young manager came in and finished 6th/7th next season I would be happy to keep them on if they looked like they were bringing the club forward. If they were implementing a style of play on the team, introducing younger players, signing the right kinds of players.

I'm afraid I don't think you would. Football managers, by virtue of the amount of decisions they make & the amount of variables there is for those decisions, will ALWAYS make decisions people disagree with. AVB at Chelsea for example, I remember him making some weird subs & persisting with Lampard for a period when it was clear it wasn't working. Having the old guard on the bench as opposed to young up n coming players etc. You'd use things like that as justification for wanting any manager sacked if the results aren't going great. I'd put money on it :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement