Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Called for Jury duty in hometown but don't live there anymore.

• 20-02-2014 3:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

It will be a bit of a pain in the arse for me to head back to my town for the length of a case.

I'll have to live with my mother with no car in a tiny village... for weeks possibly.

Am I required to go if I don't live anywhere near the place? I'm do live in Ireland by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html

Assuming you don't fall into any of the categories of those who are automatically excused or disqualified, you can contact the county registrar who "may excuse you if he is satisfied that there is "good reason" for doing so."

Note that the reason you have been called is because you are incorrectly registered to vote. Register to vote in the constituency that you live, and you won't be called for jury service in your mother's town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Giak wrote: »
    It will be a bit of a pain in the arse for me to head back to my town for the length of a case.

I'll have to live with my mother with no car in a tiny village... for weeks possibly.

Am I required to go if I don't live anywhere near the place? I'm do live in Ireland by the way.

You are required to go unless excused or exempt. Write to the Registrar seeking to be excused on the grounds that you no longer live there. The local T.D. will have to do without your vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Get creative. I got called a few years back when I was in college for my local circuit court. There looked like a serious case that might run for 4 weeks. College wrote a note saying I couldnt miss that amount of college.

GO to your GP and get a letter saying you are depressed. He can get you off. Alternatively say you were biased against "everyone (not limited to but all of them)*darts eyes shiftly*" but the cops might get you for something else. Its a bugger but someone has got to do it.

Only stupid people and people with time on their hands get to serve on juries, everyone else works out a way to get off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get creative. I got called a few years back when I was in college for my local circuit court. There looked like a serious case that might run for 4 weeks. College wrote a note saying I couldnt miss that amount of college.
    Actually college students are typically excused during term time on the basis that your attendance at college is time-critical, i.e. you can't just go back and redo what you missed. You don't necessarily need the college to write a letter, you just need to say you're a student and you have classes to attend.

Employers can similarly to the same for their employees and say that the employee is central to an important project or is the only person in the company capable of doing their job. A family member got off jury service on the latter; she was the only person in a team of four not out on holidays or sick leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Calculate how far you now live from the court and using a 4 kmh walking pace outline how long it would take you to get to the court each day and back...

Or register for where you now live and ask a td there to write to the registrar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Nope The registrar required a letter from the department Secretary that was nearly 10 years ago.

Best be is to either get onto your local TD. Failing that GP with Stress letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Get the word "Guilty" printed on a t-shirt and show up wearing it on the first day. They'll send you home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Send them a letter explaining that you no longer live that town and you will be excused. My colleague was in same position and it was no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Giak wrote: »

There should be a number you can contact for any reasons you can't make it.

Call them and suggest you can't come because "as a Christian I don't believe I can judge, any man, as that is God's job alone".

As a Christian I did this and was told on the phone that I didn't need to attend and they'd remove my name.

ps, I'm not a Christian anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Or hold you in contempt.
    Yeah, that's a highly possible outcome.

Advertisement