Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's too early to be talking about sacking AVB - but at the same time, some of the decisions he has made have just been awful. Soldado has one goal from open play - yet he seems guaranteed a place no matter how awful he plays. Holtby seems to be given far too much game time as well, it seems pretty clear to me that he's nothing more than an average Premier League player. Defensively, they don't convince either - I think they made a big mistake selling Steven Caulker - for me, he's a better option than Dawson or Kaboul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

It's too early to be talking about sacking AVB - but at the same time, some of the decisions he has made have just been awful. Soldado has one goal from open play - yet he seems guaranteed a place no matter how awful he plays. Holtby seems to be given far too much game time as well, it seems pretty clear to me that he's nothing more than an average Premier League player. Defensively, they don't convince either - I think they made a big mistake selling Steven Caulker - for me, he's a better option than Dawson or Kaboul.

Caulker looks a great prospect, was surprised no one higher up the league came in for him, if he progresses he'll be playing for a top 4 club again soon enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Come next summer, when/if Suarez is making noises about leaving again, would anyone take a straight swap for Mata?

Personally I would. While I rate Suarez higher, it'd guarantee a genuinely world class player coming in as one leaves, something no transfer fee could guarantee

Absolutely not. Selling him to another English club would be a disaster, swapping for another player with no money our way would be idiotic to say the least, unless that player is Messi or Ronaldo.
    If you take Suarez out of our team you are taking away 40+ goals, would Mata replace that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Agueroooo wrote: »
    AVB is going nowhere.

I hope they never sack him, very overrated imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I don't think he is that over rated at all . His situation kind of reminds me of Rodgers last season . There was a few changes made to personnel and playing style and it took awhile for the players to adjust to it . This is what's happening at spurs but it's more down to personnel .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Theres a smell about Chelsea with AVB atm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Absolutely not. Selling him to another English club would be a disaster, swapping for another player with no money our way would be idiotic to say the least, unless that player is Messi or Ronaldo.
    If you take Suarez out of our team you are taking away 40+ goals, would Mata replace that?

Irrespective of who comes in to replace him, they won't replace his contribution. My thinking is that regardless of how much he is sold for, a player Maya's ability is unlikely to be signed, hence while I think Suarez is worth more then Mata, I would still take a straight swap as it presents the best opportunity to emerge from the deal with a player of that quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Irrespective of who comes in to replace him, they won't replace his contribution. My thinking is that regardless of how much he is sold for, a player Maya's ability is unlikely to be signed, hence while I think Suarez is worth more then Mata, I would still take a straight swap as it presents the best opportunity to emerge from the deal with a player of that quality

Id have to agree with this . If you sell Suarez you are going to have to get in two players to replace him in my eyes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No...Mata plus 50m please :D

** I'm greedy

Would want Mata and Hazard or Mata and Lukaku. Basically ask for something will have Jose telling us to eff off. :D

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would want Mata and Hazard or Mata and Lukaku. Basically ask for something will have Jose telling us to eff off. :D

Why not Mata, Hazard AND Lukaku...no point undervaluing Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Why not Mata, Hazard AND Lukaku...no point undervaluing Suarez

Would rather have Oscar than Hazard though.

But I do agree with the Sentiment.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

\o/

He was playing with a knock earlier in the season after international duty he said in an interview back in Spain apparently, and he was benched not long ago for a couple of games, though not as much as thread favourite Eriksen has since his arrival if I'm not mistaken.

Kaboul is a hilarious disaster of a defender.

I do agree on his questionable decisions though. Anyway, long may their struggles continue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

It was nice knowing you Raif ;):pac:

In all seriousness, Suarez is easily valued at €50-60million so that's 3 players worth ~20 million...Mata (15-20), Lukaku (15-20), Hazard (20-25)

I'm sure we could come to some arrangement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

I thought he would be an affordable aquisition this summer and still improve the first team, but if he keeps playing like this he might just be out of our price range. Looked a threat all last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

brevity wrote: »

In all seriousness, Suarez is easily valued at €50-60million so that's 3 players worth ~20 million...Mata (15-20), Lukaku (15-20), Hazard (20-25)

I'm not sure you're actually being serious here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mata is a 30-35m player on his own.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm not sure you're actually being serious here :pac:

1279052383758.jpg

brevity wrote: »

If you can get Mata for 15m and Hazard for 20m you should be renegotiating our bailout package!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

\o/

He was playing with a knock earlier in the season after international duty he said in an interview back in Spain apparently, and he was benched not long ago for a couple of games, though not as much as thread favourite Eriksen has since his arrival if I'm not mistaken.

Kaboul is a hilarious disaster of a defender.

I do agree on his questionable decisions though. Anyway, long may their struggles continue :)
    every Spurs signing was hyped up to be great in this thread

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Like to know, smoking, brevity household, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Suarez for Mata, Hazard and Lukaku?

Maybe if they throw in Cech and Cole...and..and..Oscar.. and Ramires...and.. 14m...and some chips.. and a voucher for Tk Maxx.

I like Suarez and all, but... ah, shtop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

MD1990 wrote: »

Well it still remains to be seen whether that will be the case. They are all only playing in the PL for 4 months at this stage.

Some top quality there IMO so its a matter of time management start getting the best out of them or the management will be fired :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

This. I almost convinced myself.

Funny enough Eriksen (a player I wasn't keen on us signing) is probably their best piece of business.

Just call me Daniel Levy :)

T-K-O wrote: »
    This. I almost convinced myself.

Funny enough Eriksen (a player I wasn't keen on us signing) is probably their best piece of business.

And thats not saying much....

Aren't people in this thread always giving out about calling Allen, Borini, Aspas and Alberto a waste of money? There is a lot of writing off of Spurs signings going on that is premature I'd say. Some of those signings will not work out for them but some will come good I'd say. It takes time for a team with so many new players to get going.

5starpool wrote: »
    Aren't people in this thread always giving out about calling Allen, Borini, Aspas and Alberto a waste of money? There is a lot of writing off of Spurs signings going on that is premature I'd say. Some of those signings will not work out for them but some will come good I'd say. It takes time for a team with so many new players to get going.

Wouldn't really call Alberto a waste of money, guy hasnt really got a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »

+1

as Ive just said above there is some serious quality in those players.

Vicxas wrote: »
    And thats not saying much....

Exactly, for the money he cost. Eriksen was worth a punt.

Their other summer signings, I like as players but for half the price in most cases.

Haha, Spurs bought all the right parts for the sports car, they just haven't assembled it right, and or/their driver can't handle the thing. It's great.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wouldn't really call Alberto a waste of money, guy hasnt really got a look in.

I didn't call him a waste of money either. Not yet anyhow.

That's because they made some very good signings in Soldado, Capoue and Lamela :)

Paulinho I can only go from what I saw in the Confederations Cup. He looked a good signing too, but perhaps he's the wrong type of midfielder for them given who they already had.

It's known I went cold on Eriksen as the summer progressed, mostly because I'd rather see Coutinho in the middle, but also because I was becoming a bit suspect of him after failed interest from so many clubs, even Spurs took their time in signing him. Eriksen has looked very poor from what I've seen of Spurs this season.

Chadli I for one never shouted from the rooftops over despite one or two here doing otherwise when they signed him/we were linked with him. He is a good squad addition though.

Always believed they should have gone all out for Moutinho and a quality central attacking midfielder though.

You're a clued up poster, you know things don't click quickly when so much turnover happens. Look at PSG a couple of years ago or Man City when they fell in money. Perhaps Malaga in recent times are the exception, but look at their situation now. Even Monaco are looking quite poor at present, Falcao and Riviere's goals there are keeping them within touching distance from PSG so far. As I said day before yesterday, the fact they're playing like muck, yet still are only 4 points off us in 2nd, despite us playing well for large parts of games is a tad concerning. Hopefully Villas Boas and co. continue on that way.

Anyway, Liverpool... o-rah! :pac:

mav79 wrote: »
    I thought he would be an affordable aquisition this summer and still improve the first team, but if he keeps playing like this he might just be out of our price range. Looked a threat all last night.

I still think he can be got for €15M if not less. In the summer I had an €8-10M figure in mind.
    If Basel fail to qualify for the CL KO rounds, we really should throw a bid in for him. He's also a Liverpool fan! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

But I do agree with the Sentiment.

Back in a few mins Raif, I just need the time to decide how to respond to that comment. :pac:

punishmentoctagon.gif

I see Shane Long is out of contract in the summer, what about letting Aspas and Borini off and signing Long as a backup striker for free?

I see Shane Long is out of contract in the summer, what about letting Aspas and Borini off and signing Long as a backup striker for free?

He's 27 in January.

Not for me, but I wouldn't give out too much if he was brought in. You know he'll run his ass of and work hard for you, anyway.

He's 27 in January.

Not for me, but I wouldn't give out too much if he was brought in. You know he'll run his ass of and work hard for you, anyway.

27 free transfer, backup striker (who could definitely do a job if he started)...no brainer for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

He's 27 in January.

But he's good enough to be called up for england...:pac:

He's 27 in January.

27 free transfer, backup striker (who could definitely do a job if he started)...no brainer for me

With long you are almost guaranteed a certain level of performance and effort, where as Aspas and Borini seem to get lost in games. As a backup I think Shane would be an improvement on those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

long for free I think would be a grand option not much better than that. He can be so ineffective for so long and then bang he does what he done on Monday, i dont think he'd get time to be ineffective if he signed and that'd make him kind of pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

He's 27 in January.

You are hardly suggesting that he is too old??

Always liked Long, not quite Liverpool quality but would definitely work hard and offer something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shane Long does not strike me a someone who would sit on the bench all season and be happy with some cup games.

He'd do an 'honest' job, if required. And would be very good to have on the pitch when chasing a game and needing to apply pressure from up top. But you'd still need Sturridge and Suarez on the pitch along with him to actually score from his hard work.

They guy has an awful goal ratio, lets be fair.

Since he came into PL with West Brom three seasons ago.

13/14 9 Apps 3 Goals
    12/13 34 Apps 8 Goals
    11/12 32 Apps 8 Goals

Altogether he has played 77 PL games in two and a bit seasons, scoring only 19 goals. Now, if you're wondering about how many are sub appearances, he's started from the bench 20 times.

Still, a ratio of over 1 goal for every 4 games isn't exactly inspiring. Depends on what you want though. Honest worker from the front, good in games where we need the extra pressence and pressure? Sure.

Guy to come off the bench and grab a winner? Unlikely.

Guy to replace Sturridge or Suarez when they're unfit? Certainly not.

With long you are almost guaranteed a certain level of performance and effort, where as Aspas and Borini seem to get lost in games. As a backup I think Shane would be an improvement on those guys.

Borini has never showed anything other than a guy who will work his ass off. He was marked as a Kuyt type player by many on here previously.
    billy2012 wrote: »
    You are hardly suggesting that he is too old??

Always liked Long, not quite Liverpool quality but would definitely work hard and offer something different.

No, but people seem to think that he's young and he will improve. For some reason, I always get the impression from people that they regard Long as a player who is still learning, and still has a higher potential.

He doesn't. This, quite really, is it. In fact, its probably only going to go down from here as 90% of his game is his athleticism and ability to work the latter third of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That's because they made some very good signings in Soldado, Capoue and Lamela :)

Paulinho I can only go from what I saw in the Confederations Cup. He looked a good signing too, but perhaps he's the wrong type of midfielder for them given who they already had.

It's known I went cold on Eriksen as the summer progressed, mostly because I'd rather see Coutinho in the middle, but also because I was becoming a bit suspect of him after failed interest from so many clubs, even Spurs took their time in signing him. Eriksen has looked very poor from what I've seen of Spurs this season.

Chadli I for one never shouted from the rooftops over despite one or two here doing otherwise when they signed him/we were linked with him. He is a good squad addition though.

Always believed they should have gone all out for Moutinho and a quality central attacking midfielder though.

You're a clued up poster, you know things don't click quickly when so much turnover happens. Look at PSG a couple of years ago or Man City when they fell in money. Perhaps Malaga in recent times are the exception, but look at their situation now. Even Monaco are looking quite poor at present, Falcao and Riviere's goals there are keeping them within touching distance from PSG so far. As I said day before yesterday, the fact they're playing like muck, yet still are only 4 points off us in 2nd, despite us playing well for large parts of games is a tad concerning. Hopefully Villas Boas and co. continue on that way.

Anyway, Liverpool... o-rah! :pac:
    i agree about the signings u named i think they will come good
    even though Paulinho is a bit overated imo
    Eriksen & Chadli look very poor tbh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Shane Long? The new Kevin Doyle. Laughable that people think he would be good enough for Liverpool.

Put a fully fit Borini in a west Brom team and he would outscore Long, no doubt about that in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Why are so many writing off Spurs new signings when we are only 12 games into the season?

If we (some) are willing to give Allen and Borini time then surely the same has to be said for Lamela and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Shane Long would simply not fit our system or style of play.

Hes an honest player, runs the channels but also has a bit of an inflated opinion of himself aswell.

Shane Long? The new Kevin Doyle. Laughable that people think he would be good enough for Liverpool.

Put a fully fit Borini in a west Brom team and he would outscore Long, no doubt about that in my mind.

But he runs, and stuff. Essentially.

joe123 wrote: »
    Why are so many writing off Spurs new signings ?

Is it really so many?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement