Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

id like to see us win the game and just get the group sorted. allows us to maybe relax then and not have to send any of our first 16 players to Turkey.

resting Rio should not happen tomorrow, i dont have as much in our defending right now with Wooton there instead of him.

heading over again tomorrow evening, late flight after work, second trip in 4 days!

yeah - with Smalling out, Jones out and Vidic out - resting Rio isn't an option I like being taken. I can understand it - we do need to protect him, but it will likely play havoc with us, and Braga are not a bad side.

We're looking at a defence of either:

Rafael-Wooton-Evans-Buttner
    or
    Rafael-Carrick-Evans-Buttner.

Both have defensive inexperience - and the second one would have a big impact on midfield.

De Gea
    Rafael-Evans-Carrick-Buttner

Nani-Anderson-Cleverley-Young
    Kagawa
    Hernandez.

Rooney, Welbeck, RVP, Scholes, Valencia, Rio rested with Chelsea in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Want nothing less then 3 points tomorrow.

Want to have this group done and dusted asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Would like to see

De Gea

Rafael Wooton Evans Buttner

Anderson Cleverley

Nani Young
    Kagawa

Hernandez

Possibly carrick for wooton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Do people really think Wooton will play?
    I'd imagine Fergie will stick Carrick there, though I don't agree with it. Promising youth players should be given the chance, especially during an injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Would like to see

De Gea

Anderson Cleverley

Nani Young
    Kagawa

Hernandez

I'd imagine we see Giggs playing tbh.
    Probably along the lines of;
    De Gea
    Raf Wooton Evans Buttner
    Nani Giggs Anderson Young
    Clevs/Kag
    Hernandez

Possibly Welbeck given a run too or Giggs in the CAM role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Funny enough on my break today I was watching ESPN and they were showing replay of Everton v Liverpool from 07/08 season and he was ref.

Loads of controversy in which Liverpool got everything and Kuyt made one of worst challenges I have seen only to get yellow.

I was thinking if it had been United who got those decisions we would have Clattenburg in Man Utd tops and all sorts.

I think Clanttenburg is OK. Although he usually has one mare of game per season. Like you say better then the 2 you mentioned.

It was one of the worst challenges you have ever seen yet he didn't even connect with anyone or get near anyone, slight overreaction on your part maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I would not have put United in my accumulator for tomorrow if I had known we're resting Rio. Very worrying indeed as Braga will almost definitely score. Just gonna have to hope the forwards bail us out as usual.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    It was one of the worst challenges you have ever seen yet he didn't even connect with anyone or get near anyone, slight overreaction on your part maybe.

I remember that challenge. Had Kuyt made contact it would have been the equivalent of being hit by a car. It was a totally wreckless challenge. And absolutely hilarious that you felt the need to defend a challenge made by a player that no longer plays for the club you support almost 4 years after it happened.

It would of made Roy Keane tackle on Haaland look like little nudge on back if he had made contact.

Shocking statement that you can defend that.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I would not have put United in my accumulator for tomorrow if I had known we're resting Rio. Very worrying indeed as Braga will almost definitely score. Just gonna have to hope the forwards bail us out as usual.

I remember that challenge. Had Kuyt made contact it would have been the equivalent of being hit by a car. It was a totally wreckless challenge. And absolutely hilarious that you felt the need to defend a challenge made by a player that no longer plays for the club you support almost 4 years after it happened.

It was wreckless yes but he didn't make contact so how could he say it was one of the worst challenges he has ever seen. I don't know are you taking the piss with been hit by a car thing.

It would of made Roy Keane tackle on Haaland look like little nudge on back if he had made contact.

Shocking statement that you can defend that.

I'm not defending it, I just don't how anyone can say it was one of the worst challenges they have ever seen when there was no contact.

• Advertisement

I'm not defending it, I just don't how anyone can say it was one of the worst challenges they have ever seen when there was no contact.

It was a challenge contact or nor contact to do damage to player. Just cause the Everton player got out of the way does not make it a non challenge.

Anyway sorry for dragging it off topic here. My reference to Clattenburg was what I referred to first.

/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Would like to see

De Gea

Anderson Cleverley

Nani Young
    Kagawa

Hernandez

My biggest issue with that is the serious lack of a leader on the pitch if things are not going our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

de Gea
    Rafael
    Carrick
    Evans
    Buttner
    Anderson

Cleverley
    Kagawa

Rooney

Hernandez---van Persie

Can see something like that tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was helping a young lad in school today. He was flicking through a book about the World Cup, and I was asking him a few questions here and there. Anyway it came to the 1958 World Cup section and there was a picture of the Brazilian team. I pointed at Pélé and asked him who he was, thinking that he might know.

He said Welbeck :D.

To be fair he was only 7. Kids are great.

I was helping out at an after-school club last year and I asked another 7-year old how much he thought United could buy Messi for. He said £6.5 million. That was the highest number he could think of :P.

If only both of the above statements were true.

This is the picture of Pélé/Welbeck. They kinda have the same hair cut. Pélé was obviously way ahead of his time in the fashion stakes.

brazil1958.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Would like to see

De Gea

Anderson Cleverley

Nani Young
    Kagawa

Hernandez

I think this will be the team also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

If its all going to plan I'd like to see Powell get a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Whats the overall consensus re: resting players in Europe before we are through again this season. Last season it didnt go down well. Given the weekends fixture im happy with it (plus we have made a much better start in the first 2 matches)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Did SAF not say he wouldn't be making the same mistakes again this season RE: chopping and changing. I don't think there will be too many changes from what he has mentioned.
    I'd have no problem seeing Wooton going in CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

The Fail and The Telegraph are reporting Real could be in for "homesick" De Gea. Apparently Mourinho and Real are in cahoots with DDG's agent Jorge Mendes to tempt him back to Spain. Casillas has apparently said that he views DDG as his long term replacement.

This would be a disaster for United imo. Despite his early blunders, DDG is arguably the best young keeper around, and could/should be United's No.1 for 10 years or more. SAF juggling the keepers doesn't help matters either....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Casillas is just 31, which is not old for a GK. He can play for at least 4-5 seasons, not sure De Gea will be happy warming bench for that many seasons and Madrid don't even rotate GKs.

• Advertisement

De Gea played for, came through the youth system of, and still supports Atlectico. Would be very strange for him to want to play for Real. They generally don't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    De Gea played for, came through the youth system of, and still supports Atlectico. Would be very strange for him to want to play for Real. They generally don't do that.

It would be even stranger for him to sit on Real's bench and watch Casillas play for a few years. Sounds like tabloid BS.

If Casillas was 35-36 I might sweat, but at 31 he is still young from keeper point of view, so think Mail are trying to fill some space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I hope Kagawa and Anderson play and put in decent performances tonight. And I hope they start against Chelski. We need to keep their midfield attacking 3 deeper than they have been playing recently. It'll be a real test for us.

God forbid if Gigs and Scholes both start I can see us losing by more than 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keep forgetting we are playing tonight which is strange, considering im actually going to this game once i finish work.

im hoping that Smalling is fit and fergies been telling porkies, but id say its going to be Wooton in there somehow which worries me as i dont think he is at this level just yet.

here is the team id play all things considered, but i dont think anybody would guess this 11 tonight as theres loads of possibilities.

AL
    RafaelEvans----Wooton----Buttner
    ---Clevely----Ando
    Fletch
    ---Nani
    Giggs
    Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

keep forgetting we are playing tonight which is strange, considering im actually going to this game once i finish work.

im hoping that Smalling is fit and fergies been telling porkies, but id say its going to be Wooton in there somehow which worries me as i dont think he is at this level just yet.

here is the team id play all things considered, but i dont think anybody would guess this 11 tonight as theres loads of possibilities.

AL
    RafaelEvans----Wooton----Buttner
    ---Clevely----Ando
    Fletch
    ---Nani
    Giggs
    Hernandez

Dunno if this is what you're talking about, but I don't see Smalling being included tonight...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/22/manchester-united-alex-ferguson-diamond-formation

SAF on Smalling: "He trained this morning with Warren Joyce [the reserve team manager]. He has trained there a couple of days now but it is non-contact at the moment. The encouraging thing is he is definitely on the way back. I expect Phil Jones to start next Monday on the football side and the two of them are two or three weeks away."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Smalling was expected to play for the u-21s last week and now he is a few weeks away?

for f*ck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Smalling was expected to play for the u-21s last week and now he is a few weeks away?

for f*ck sake.

I'd rather they be very cautious about bringing people back with our injury curse! No point rushing him i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭KH25

I think Wooton should be given a game at some point tonight. Its a good game to give him some experience. He doesn't need to start but if we're comfortably ahead I see no harm in giving him a run out. At the very least it will allow someone to have a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Great article on Roy Keane in the Guardian. AN extract from this guy's new book.

Roy Keane: the Tony Soprano of Old Trafford
    Life's most interesting people are invariably flawed; Keane has been the most interesting person in British football for decades

Keane's detractors say he was little more than a thug who went round booting people at a time when the game's laws had not evolved sufficiently. This is such offensive poppycock that it barely merits mention. The primary weapons in Keane's arsenal, by a distance, were his energy, positional sense and game intelligence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/23/roy-keane-book-extract

quad_red wrote: »
    Great article on Roy Keane in the Guardian. AN extract from this guy's new book.

I was about to post this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I was about to post this.

Typical Giggs... slow off the mark. :)

Typical Giggs... slow off the mark. :)

I'm not 21 anymore you see :P

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

My main concern is Giggs playing anymore than the final 10 mins because Fletcher, Ando and Cleverley are more in need of game time in the centre and he aint up to it on the wing anymore.

My team would be:

De Gea
    Raf Wooton Evans Buttner
    Fletcher Anderson
    Nani Cleverley Kagawa
    Chico

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

My main concern is Giggs playing anymore than the final 10 mins because Fletcher, Ando and Cleverley are more in need of game time in the centre and he aint up to it on the wing anymore.

My team would be:

De Gea
    Raf Wooton Evans Buttner
    Fletcher Anderson
    Nani Cleverley Kagawa
    Chico

Wait, you do know that he isn't actually Giggs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

quad_red wrote: »

Roy Keane: the Tony Soprano of Old Trafford
    Life's most interesting people are invariably flawed; Keane has been the most interesting person in British football for decades

Keane's detractors say he was little more than a thug who went round booting people at a time when the game's laws had not evolved sufficiently. This is such offensive poppycock that it barely merits mention. The primary weapons in Keane's arsenal, by a distance, were his energy, positional sense and game intelligence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/23/roy-keane-book-extract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

WoW

Laughed at Fowler pushing him in the face and Keane not budging, imagine if that happened in todays games

Keane was different gravy.

What to have him in his prime now for United and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Steve McManaman was probably playing some of his best football for Pool during that season,he used make these long mazy runs with the ball but as seen in the video Keane didn't let him get too far during that cup final,best thing about Roy was he rarely gave the ball away,used keep it simple as Kew said he was a different gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

we need to do something about these starts to games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hernandez simply has to be getting more game time than he is presently getting. I see the merits of starting Welbeck in certain formations, but Hernandez is such a lethal finisher he deserves to be there ahead of Danny. Cue Fergie not even using him in the Bridge on Sunday

bowdown.gifManchester-United-v-Swansea-City-Premier-League-1340613733.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind bringing on Giggs tonight? Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I had noticed it already this season but tonight it really showed, Chico's ability to use the ball has really improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Those p1ss poor starts are really getting annoying now!

Not as confident about Sunday as I would like to be.

I think we will have get 3 goals just to get a result.

Que 2-0 United win;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Peach of a cross from Cleverley for the winner. Rooney and RvP with 2 perfect crosses to set up goals the last day out.....who needs wingers???

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Peach of a cross from Cleverley for the winner. Rooney and RvP with 2 perfect crosses to set up goals the last day out.....who needs wingers???

Scoring from corners and quality delivers into the box.

We must be practicing them in training cause its some improvement in past few seasons.

Not as confident about Sunday as I would like to be.

I think we will have get 3 goals just to get a result.

Que 2-0 United win;)

Considering the amount of average players who have had their way with our back 4 at times this season, the idea of Mata and Hazard up against us is truly daunting...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement