Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to track down a Plea Roll manuscript from the reign of King Edward

Options
  • 30-09-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I read the following in a local historical journal dated 1965:

“A series of manuscript volumes in the Public Record Office in Dublin preserves, though
    incompletely, the record of cases pleaded before the King's justices in Ireland from the reign
    of Henry III onwards. These volumes are transcripts made for the Irish Records Commission
    early in the last century from original rolls which have since been destroyed.”

The author of the article entitled ‘Townlands of County Louth AD 1301’ then goes on to reproduce a list of townlands under the heading of:

“Calendar of Plea Rolls 8
    (Plea Roll 54, Membrane 19)
    Estreats of amercements of the Crown from county Loueth before Walter Lenfaunt and
    Robert de Litlebury and their fellow justices in eyre at Drogheda on the morrow of the
    Epiphany of our Lord in the 29th year of the reign of king Edward.”

I’m doing a little project on townlands myself and would love to see this particular manuscript for myself. I spend all day yesterday and all of this morning searching on the National Archive and National Library online catalogues but no such luck as of yet. I was hoping that someone on here might be able to offer me some advice on how to track the said manuscript down or help me out by pointing me in the right direction. Any help at all would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If you are near the NLI just call in and ask at the desk in the reading room? Generally I have found the staff there to be very knowledgeable and helpful. If you are unable to call in why not try an email?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If it was in the PRO in the 1960s, it should be in the National Archives now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MacCanann

Thanks for that lads :)

Advertisement