Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales of Irish Castles TV3

Options
  • 26-07-2014 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Edited.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I watched that show and it was pretty good (if a little overcooked with the big bad English and 800 years malarkey).

Can someone tell me precisely what in the name of all that is Holy above in heaven made them decide to build a wee council estate right in the middle of the courtyard of King John's Castle in Limerick back in, whenever it was, the 50's or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

That was back in the days when anything English was being earmarked for demolition by our new 'republican' governments, Merrion Square in Dublin, for example. It's only a wonder King John's Castle wasn't entirely demolished before they built their council estate.

Regarding the TV series, I only saw the first and the last episodes, and they were interesting, but who decided to put Simon Delaney at the helm? It all seemed to be a big, boring joke to him, merely a vehicle for his self promotion. Is there a shortage of enthusiastic and engaging historians?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

HydeRoad wrote: »
    That was back in the days when anything English was being earmarked for demolition by our new 'republican' governments, Merrion Square in Dublin, for example. It's only a wonder King John's Castle wasn't entirely demolished before they built their council estate.

Regarding the TV series, I only saw the first and the last episodes, and they were interesting, but who decided to put Simon Delaney at the helm? It all seemed to be a big, boring joke to him, merely a vehicle for his self promotion. Is there a shortage of enthusiastic and engaging historians?

With all our tourism spiel about heritage and castles, a large proportion of them are in a tumbledown state that beggars belief.

As regards a frontman, it's all about celebrity status, as if no-one at all would tune in if the person wasn't on the 'celeb' radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sweet Jeebus, that is hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Indeed. It was very silly in hindsight. Allowances have to be made for the times that were in it but even taking that on board it was bloody stupid.

You're right that Delaney didn't seem to be 100% sure of what he was talking about however I do think putting someone with a bit of character and a kind of "layman's" attitude into these shows is a good idea. With a Diarmaid Ferriter or someone you'd probably get better analysis alright but it would inevitably tend toward the boring side.

For the general public to be interested as opposed to only history/architecture buff's, I think you need that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Jesus. wrote: »
    With a Diarmaid Ferriter or someone you'd probably get better analysis alright but it would inevitably tend toward the boring side.

Diarmaid Ferriter is a hypothetical suggestion of course but he is far more thought provoking than Simon Delaney. Simon Delaney repeats so many tired predictable lines that are more in keeping with a trainee tour guide. People watching the show already have an interest in castles so they don't need the super basic stuff. The chances are, most people watching have visited a castle or two before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi everyone. As you no doubt noticed, I deleted my original post as I thought my comments were too strong. However, you have all basically said what I had said so I thought I should explain. I didn't think Mr. Delaney was the right person but 'celebrity' wins these jobs every time. Maybe he was meant to appeal to the ordinary Joe in the street, but I felt he dumbed it down to a new low. I always felt he was talking to his pals in the snug of the local pub, and that's not what people interested in history particularly want. It never looked like his subject. Its not rocket science to cut out bits of programmes and insert something better. There are lots of lecturers/students of history they could have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BennyBiscuits

Can anyone provide a download link to this series? Want to put it on a disk for the grandad as he can't operate the 3Player. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Anyone knows where I can get the full series?

I cannot see any dvds to buy, can't watch it online anywhere, series is available on youtube but some Australian channel so unavailable for me...

If anyone has it, could you share the link?

I spent one hour searching for it and I cannot find the complete season anywhere! It is available in Australian Itunes, though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If you contact TV3 they may be able to help you or tell you which production company was involved. You may be able to get a copy of the series from them.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If you contact TV3 they may be able to help you or tell you which production company was involved. You may be able to get a copy of the series from them.

Good advice, thanks. I managed to email the production company on Thursday and await their reply. I have now contacted tv3 and see if they will be able to help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

The series might have been repeated on Yesterday/UKTV recently as the episodes are currently available to watch online (but only for the next 9 hours!)
    The show is also available on android/apple apps which can be used in the UK and Ireland - look for the "UKTV Play" app.
    http:// yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/tales-of-irish-castles/
    (Remove space, {there are no www's} I can't post links yet).
    Probably worth keeping an eye on their schedule to see when it's next on.

cat_r wrote: »
    The series might have been repeated on Yesterday/UKTV recently as the episodes are currently available to watch online (but only for the next 9 hours!)
    The show is also available on android/apple apps which can be used in the UK and Ireland - look for the "UKTV Play" app.
    http:// yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/tales-of-irish-castles/
    (Remove space, {there are no www's} I can't post links yet).
    Probably worth keeping an eye on their schedule to see when it's next on.

I saw that, thanks, but I am looking for a copy to keep.

Advertisement