Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive 1916 Rising book

Options
  • 11-06-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

For the time that is in it, I'm looking to read a comprehensive detail about the Rising, and it's subsequent various contextual significance.

What are people's view on the best book to read about this, whichever way you look at it, historically changing event?

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

For the time that is in it, I'm looking to read a comprehensive detail about the Rising, and it's subsequent various contextual significance.

What are people's view on the best book to read about this, whichever way you look at it, historically changing event?

Thanks folks.

Tim Pat Coogans book on the rising has alot of detail in it. Once you understand the authors opinion sometimes sways expressed views this is a thorough account.

My favourite account of the time is however the section in Diarmuid Ferriters 'transformation of ireland'. The book is obviously a review of a wider period of time but it gives background information such as social realities that can sometimes be ignored when focusing on the event itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There has been such a raft of new publications in the last year that it is difficult to actually nominate an outstanding one.
    I am going to concentrate on the Bureau of Military History statements for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I like this recent publication

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Clock-Struck-1916-Close-Quarter/dp/1848892136

A few minor errors but found it very readable (ie not a dry academic publication)

A recent Easter Rising publication that's overpriced and riddled with errors is

"The Sherwood Foresters in the Easter Rising Dublin 1916" by Chris Housley

Advertisement