Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone join the priesthood anymore?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭Ecce_Agnus_Dei

1ZRed wrote: »
    I have no evidence to support it just from my own experience of when a priest came into us in 6th year talking about the priesthood. None of us showed any interest.

The figures back it up, young men have no interest in being priests. I'd argue that the sacrifices made to become one just aren't worth it in my people's eyes, my own included.

The times are changing and there's less emphasis and value placed on religion year by year, that's just what's happening. It's not just an Irish phenomenon, it's happening in all major first world countries. The only areas where religion is thriving is in poorer, less advantaged countries where education is scares.

There's no coincidence between the abundance of education and the diminishment of religion.

Of course religion is less important in countries that place an emphasis on material wealth! Such regions of the world are ripe for Atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

How hip and cool it is to be an atheist these days.

I see this New Atheism as nothing but a fad the way roller-blading was in the 1990s.

Atheism is a shallow ideology and is a distinctly Western, middle-class affair dabbled in by a debonair, privileged minority who see themselves as being above death, judgement, heaven and hell.

Gotta love a bit of good, old-fashioned bible thumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Of course religion is less important in countries that place an emphasis on material wealth! Such regions of the world are ripe for Atheism.
    In fairness what have you against atheism? It's never done anything to anyone, yet religion has all these rules and influences that have negatively effected society in many cases. Not saying it's all bad, though.

I'm not one to push my atheism on anyone and I respect any person's beliefs so long as I get it back in return. Cheap shots like that are a bit pathetic in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    they were one of our biggest exports.
    Tommy tiernan explained where they all went

"We overplanted, we had an epidemic! So we tried to engage the rest of the world in a priests for potatoes swap! And we were conned by the Africans, BASTARDS!!!! Took our priests not a potato between them

Our priests went over there and what happened?! What dyu think happened?! THEY MELTED!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

thanks the lecture on the damage the CC has caused in this country, I was completely unaware of it- it was the posters description of the numbers in the photos declining each year, I thought was kind of poignant.
    If the photos were of people in any other walk of life I would have thought the same.

The priesthood wasn't just another "walk of life" though. What's poignant about the number of people wasting their lives in that particular way decreasing? Surely it's something to be celebrated.

• Advertisement

One word

CELIBACY

I'd say only as part of the bigger picture.

Community or ones role in the wider community (especially in relation to a huge organisations like the church), was paramount in both how one saw oneself and one's place in society to past generations, and as people have become both more educated and more introverted, the self has taken precedence over the masses or community.

As such any infringement on one's personal choices, or limitations on personal freedoms are difficult to reconcile with the prevailing cultural norms. Celibacy is one issue, but its not the only (somewhat unrealistic) demand made of clergy in terms of their moral, sexual or social selves. Clergy must accept a world of absolutes, something few people can or want to do.

People in developed countries are more self-aware and more intellectually critical than they've ever been before, which isn't that compatible with the clerical lifestyle.

In fairness what have you against atheism? It's never done anything to anyone, yet religion has all these rules and influences that have negatively effected society in many cases. Not saying it's all bad, though.

I'm not one to push my atheism on anyone and I respect any person's beliefs so long as I get it back in return. Cheap shots like that are a bit pathetic in fairness.

I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising to non-believers is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

That you would prefer not to hear the message Christ is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I see this New Atheism as nothing but a fad the way roller-blading was in the 1990s.

Atheism is a shallow ideology and is a distinctly Western, middle-class affair dabbled in by a debonair, privileged minority who see themselves as being above death, judgement, heaven and hell.

Or maybe they just grew up and don't have imaginary friends in the sky obviously. Your post is laughable.

I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

While you are very entitled to your faith in your good news, you are not entitled to expect others to share it, or welcome your attempts to.

Your opinion on the truth of human existence is just that. Your opinion.

I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising to non-believers is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in what you believe in and it's not your duty to tell me anything. My "soul" is none of your business.

• Advertisement

I'm blown away by your arrogance.

Atheists don't need a god to judge them. We have people like you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Who told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger.

Show me any evidence of a soul, otherwise there's no point in hearing your nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't think it's hip and cool to be an atheist, a lot of people ask me what it is others who know quickly go very quiet as though they want me to shut up despite the fact that they asked me my thoughts for fear my disbelief in a higher power might offend someone.

Why is it shallow? I don't see myself as being above death, I will die, as for judgement, I find myself more moral than those who kill, maim or hurt in the ne of their religion however I am certainly not above it. I live my life and try to be the best I can be because I believe that this is the only one that I have, there wouldn't be people blowing themselves up on a regular basis in the Middle East if they did not believe that there was an after life.

I am a live and let live kind of person, if someone's religion makes it a little bit easier for them to get through their life then I am delighted for them. It is their right. As long as it does not hurt anyone else.

As for it being a fad, my parents thought the same thing, 10 years after I made my feelings on the matter clear they don't think so anymore. Most people my age do not believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church, so even if they are involved they are culturally catholic, weddings,funerals, christenings, catholic on the census but lots are agnostic, they rest are atheists or actual non a la carte Catholics. I can assure you that this is not the latest trend, the teachings of the church are redundant so there is little for them to connect to.

Candie wrote: »
    I'm blown away by your arrogance.

Atheists don't need a god to judge them. We have people like you for that.
    "Judge ye lest ye be judged"

They can't even follow their own rules properly. That's the fundamental problem the majority of the very vocal religious types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GarIT wrote: »
    Show me and evidence of a soul, otherwise there's no point in hearing your nonsense.

There's no point in hearing his nonsense anyway, he smacks of a being a smug Christian muppet with a superiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

If the good news is that some dude ended up nailed to a cross because other people were assholes, Id hate to hear the bad news.

Rhetoric like yours makes me thankful that Jews dont shove their beliefs down the throats of those of other faiths and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Searchin' for priests under 40 eh? Have you tried plentyofpriests.com?

I'd say he wants to meet priests his own age, listen in on the gossip or simply have a bit of a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

GarIT wrote: »
    Show me and evidence of a soul, otherwise there's no point in hearing your nonsense.

Luke 4.12: "Do not put the Lord your God to the test". The whole evidence thing doesn't really work with the hardcore sky-pixie followers. Faith i.e. the ability to ignore contradictory evidence & reject reason, is seen as a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Yea your right. Atheism is a load of balls. I used to be one until I was swayed by all the irrefutable evidence that Jesus rose from the dead.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    I'd say he wants to meet priests his own age, listen in on the gossip or simply have a bit of a laugh.

Indeedy!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwmdekOBYk1r3h55no1_r1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭keithb93

In secondary school we used to insult each other by saying the other person wanted to be a priest. Even in a school run by priests, the idea of becoming one was embarrassing, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think we had that one figured out, but thanks for the confirmation all the same.

"Judge ye lest ye be judged"

They can't even follow their own rules properly. That's the fundamental problem the majority of the very vocal religious types.

The only person who does the judging is God. Atheists, by their own admission, work against God, so how is it "judging" someone to point out this reality?

Atheists, particularly those who once knew God but now choose to reject Him (by the use of their God-given free will), are probably going to end up in a very nasty predicament (I can only advise, not judge on this matter).

I suggest you visit a hospice -- you'll find that even the most brazen of non-believers change their ways once they're staring death and judgement right in the face.

The only person who does the judging is God. Atheists, by their own admission, work against God, so how is it "judging" someone to point out this reality?

Don't be silly now.

Atheists, particularly those who once knew God but now choose to reject Him (by the use of their God-given free will), are probably going to end up in a very nasty predicament (I can only advise, not judge on this matter).

I suggest you visit a hospice -- you'll find that even the most brazen of non-believers change their ways once they're staring death and judgement right in the face.

I don't believe in a god. It's not even something I think about let alone "going against it's work". Bit of a ridiculous comment, to be honest.

You've done plenty of judging against us nasty atheists and the dangers our souls face so there's no taking that back.

But sure I suppose hypocrisy the cornerstone of Christianity.

I don't believe in a god. It's not even something I think about let alone "going against it's work". Bit of a ridiculous comment, to be honest.

You've done plenty of judging against us nasty atheists and the dangers our souls face so there's no taking that back.

But sure I suppose hypocrisy the cornerstone of Christianity.

I think we had that one figured out, but thanks for the confirmation all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Atheists, by their own admission, work against God.

How do you work against something that doesn't exist?

I'd just like to remind contributors that vocations are up worldwide.

I understand it's difficult for ye to imagine what might go on outside this crappy little isle that has exported sex monsters throughout the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd just like to remind contributors that vocations are up worldwide.

I understand it's difficult for ye to imagine what might go on outside this crappy little isle that has exported sex monsters throughout the world.

Have you got evidence to back up these claims for a change?

Advertisement