Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Azor Ahai? *Non-Book Readers*

Options
  • 13-08-2015 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭

Would any of you lovely non-book readers care to fill me in on who Azor Ahai is? The name has cropped up here and there but beyond the fact that he (or she?) is something to do with R'hllor and may possibly be reincarnated at some stage, I don't know anything else.

Have I just blanked out a piece of the tv show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

He's barely mentioned in the show as far as I remember, with little explanation. After reading the books I still had to read the wikia to find out who he was, there isn't much about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Well that makes me feel a lot better! I've seen thread titles in various places and snippets in the Game of Thrones: Ascent game mentioning the name and I couldn't help but think that there must have been more in the show that I had missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Isn't he basically GoT Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Isn't he basically GoT Jesus.

I get that impression but I think that's from non-TV sources rather than anything that has been mentioned in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Let me just preface this post by saying that I've read the books, but I'll do my best not to spoil the show for anyone.

Azor Ahai was a legendary hero from thousands of years before the events of the show. It is said that he forged the sword "Lightbringer" during a time of darkness. It took him three tries to make it - the first time, he toiled for thirty days and thirty nights, but when he went to temper it by submerging it, it broke, and he had to try again. His second sword took fifty days and fifty nights to forge, and he tried to temper it by stabbing a lion in its heart, but once again it shattered. On the last try, he spent 100 days and 100 nights forging it, and tempered it by plunging it into his wife.

The religion of R'hollor/the Lord of Light believes that when darkness descends on the world once more, R'hollor will choose a hero to become the reincarnation of Azor Ahai, and to wield Lightbringer in his fight. I guess when you consider that Jesus is called the Messiah or "anointed one", so too is Azor Ahai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

is the closest the show has come to explaining it.

Advertisement