Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone join the priesthood anymore?

124»

Comments

I have a trainee priest - who shall obviously remain nameless - in my weekly vipassana class here in Maynooth. Have had some dialogue with him on a variety of subjects. He does appear to be under the impression that vocatious here in Ireland are down massively on the past. Conversations and experiences with me appear to be having him in occasional doubt about the path himself. I would not be entirely suprised if he dropped out or - having graduated - did not proceed with it and pursued some other path in life.

While I would not take whole credit for either of those things were they to happen - it is clear I am playing no small part in the process either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Apologied when victims of abuse spoke publicly about their ordeals and demanded justice. Not all victims were able to do this, it takes a lot of courage to speak publicly about something that has had such a profound effect on you. Before that the church covered up years of abuse, moved offenders on to new parishes and allowed them to continue abusing. The protection in place now necessary due to the backlash and increased child protection laws.

You're stating the obvious here. The abuse and cover up of abuse by the church (in Ireland and elsewhere) was 100% awful, wrong and evil. That's why apologies are required and why they were given (from the pope down) and will continue to be given.
    The hypocrisy of this is alarming - an institution that preaches about morals, christian standards, denounces divorce, premarital sex, contraception and homosexually found it acceptable to support and allow paedophilia and physical abuse.

To say that the church supported paedapilia and physical abuse is a little far fetched. That knew about it and didn't do near enough to stop it would be more to the point.
    As for compensation, see the post directly below your own.

Saw it. The Government pay's it's share because it was (as per the Magdalene institutions) partly to blame.

Apologies for going off-topic of OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Do you not think it should have been done as soon as they became aware of the abuse, instead of covering it up and allowing it to continue?

Yes. Any sane person in 2013 would be 100% in agreement.

That's why it was wrong, that's why the church is rightly criticised for it and that's why the church rightly apologises for it.

If you don't want to accept that the church is sorry for what happened under its watch ( and I don't blame you) that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You're stating the obvious here. The abuse and cover up of abuse by the church (in Ireland and elsewhere) was 100% awful, wrong and evil. That's why apologies are required and why they were given (from the pope down) and will continue to be given.
    Apologies were only issued when demanded. The church did not willing disclose information or report known abusers. A forced apology after the event is irrelevant.
    To say that the church supported paedapilia and physical abuse is a little far fetched. That knew about it and didn't do near enough to stop it would be more to the point.

They didn't do anything until forced, therefore they did support and allow paedophila and abuse.
    Saw it. The Government pay's it's share because it was (as per the Magdalene institutions) partly to blame.

Apologies for going off-topic of OP.
    I think the government (taxpayers) paid more than it's share.

Advertisement