Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best small engine car 1.0-1.4

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Stheno wrote: »
    It was one of the recommendations on page one.

They are not bad little cars, tend to hold their value well too.

Fiesta would be my default choice. I've had a few fords and I've never had or heard of any expensive issues. Parts and servicing are rock bottom cheap. I'd recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Aquila wrote: »

Look for details of the service history and check that anything that needs doing has been done.

Don't buy it without an NCT

If you want to be more sure, have a mechanic you know check it for you.

And if you do buy, remove those hideous seat covers, and the religious medals!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lol ah i know,they are tacky arent they

They are, but sometimes buying a car is like buying a house, just redocorate it in your head.

Looks a nice enough car though, mileage if anything for an 8 (almost 9) year old diesel is a bit low, which would make me check the service history (when I drove a diesel I was doing 20 - 25k miles a year) but that's possibly me being old school.

Did you drive it or even go and see it?

• Advertisement

Lads which is the better engine on the fiesta the diesel or petrol?

The 1.25 petrol is considered to be a great engine, pretty much every small car thread you see on here recommends it.

I don't know much about the diesel, but diesels do tend to need a little bit more looking after in terms of servicing, doing constant short runs and no long drives on them are not good for them.

That's my experience from 10 years ago, I had a diesel as I did a min. of 600 miles a week over 100 miles a day.

Depends on how you are going to use it. At the end of the day, the Fiesta is a good car. Should be reliable, economical, and easy to maintain, so check all of that.

Have you seen a 1.25 petrol you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Petrol without a doubt for the 'Feshty'. They're much more tolerant of not being maintained at the appropriate intervals (there is far less to go expensively wrong in the petrol models), and while Irish people are pretty bad for car maintenance in general, it goes totally out of proportion with a small car like a Fiesta - at this end people just tax them and fuel them and only spend money on their cars 'to get it through the NCT'.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about finding any supermini with FSH in Ireland - whereas in every other normal country it's seen as a selling point that a car has service history and people pay more accordingly for it! In Ireland it's all about age and mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I wouldn't get my hopes up about finding any supermini with FSH in Ireland - whereas in every other normal country it's seen as a selling point that a car has service history and people pay more accordingly for it!

If you're being serious that just isn't true. There are plenty of supermini's out there with FSH. It's a pretty ridiculous statement to say there aren't and the cars with FSH in Ireland do hold their value more! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

166man wrote: »
    If you're being serious that just isn't true. There are plenty of supermini's out there with FSH. It's a pretty ridiculous statement to say there aren't and the cars with FSH in Ireland do hold their value more! :P

It's his usual sensationalism...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

It's his usual sensationalism...
    arguing with everyone again,,,,is nobody allowed an opinion around you ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

geneyuss wrote: »
    arguing with everyone again,,,,is nobody allowed an opinion around you ??

If they talk sense ill take it on board. And captainspeed more than often does but a bit of jotting in here seems to create debate and some craic for us all. You have spoken nonsense in another thread and I assume that's the source of that comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Lads which is the better engine on the fiesta the diesel or petrol?

I wouldn't have much knowledge of the diesel except that it's sourced from peugeot and is the same engine as in the peugeot 207 hdi. Therefore any problems that affect the peugeot would carry over to the fiesta.
    Agree with what has been said about the petrol 1.25. A well proven engine with reasonable performance, smooth running and easy/cheap maintenance.

Advertisement