Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best small engine car 1.0-1.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

mgn wrote: »
    OPEL CORSA 1,2

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Ugh.

What's wrong with an 07-08 corsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭haribos

May as well drive a 206....... or a toyota Starlet !!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

There is so much wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.

I know the Auris gets slated on here but it's not that bad a car... The 1.4D4D engine is excellent and I like the interior design even if the materials are a bit below par.

I think they're a decent enough car and would like to hear why it's apparently so bad.

166man wrote: »
    I know the Auris gets slated on here but it's not that bad a car... The 1.4D4D engine is excellent and I like the interior design even if the materials are a bit below par.

I think they're a decent enough car and would like to hear why it's apparently so bad.

Read back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I don't know what the petrols are like, but the diesel is just awful to drive, no throttle response, very unsmooth, no feel through the steering wheel and the world's most annoying indicators. Apart from the engine side of things, the Corsa is fine car, so I suspect with a petrol engine it is a lot nicer to drive.

As the others have mentioned, the Auris is just a terrible car.

The Paddy spec versions have nothing as standard (not even a/c - shocking for a 2012 car), the interior is absolutely mank, they're slow, noisy, they don't ride or handle well, uncomfortable and they're no more reliable than any other car out there. The only good thing about the Auris is the safety, and that only applies to the earlier versions. Now it is outclassed since they do not come with ESP as standard, while the vast majority of its competitors do.

Modern Toyota reliability is absolutely nothing to write home about, they're by no means the worst car out there, but ever since they stopped building them in Japan the build quality and reliability has suffered. Just compare the Jap built Corollas from 98-02 (the saloons) to the British built models (the liftbacks) and you'll see that many British build cars with rust whereas the Jap built ones are perfect.

Also Toyota will be using BMW diesel engines from next year, which will be great - while they're under warranty, but afterwards will be ticking timebombs, since BMW can't even make crankshafts and timing chains properly in their diesel engines these days:rolleyes:.

captainspeed......Toyota Hater:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

I don't know what the petrols are like, but the diesel is just awful to drive, no throttle response, very unsmooth, no feel through the steering wheel and the world's most annoying indicators. Apart from the engine side of things, the Corsa is fine car, so I suspect with a petrol engine it is a lot nicer to drive.

The Paddy spec versions have nothing as standard (not even a/c - shocking for a 2012 car), the interior is absolutely mank, they're slow, noisy, they don't ride or handle well, uncomfortable and they're no more reliable than any other car out there. The only good thing about the Auris is the safety, and that only applies to the earlier versions. Now it is outclassed since they do not come with ESP as standard, while the vast majority of its competitors do.

Modern Toyota reliability is absolutely nothing to write home about, they're by no means the worst car out there, but ever since they stopped building them in Japan the build quality and reliability has suffered. Just compare the Jap built Corollas from 98-02 (the saloons) to the British built models (the liftbacks) and you'll see that many British build cars with rust whereas the Jap built ones are perfect.

Also Toyota will be using BMW diesel engines from next year, which will be great - while they're under warranty, but afterwards will be ticking timebombs, since BMW can't even make crankshafts and timing chains properly in their diesel engines these days:rolleyes:.

who are these others you speak of ?? :) i think you have lost the meaning of this thread,,, maybe you should start an "i hate everything except poxy boy racer hatchbacks" ? or "before i buy, im bringing this car to a race track to check its handling and stuff" ?

Just thinking about Opels, I hate corsa's but what about the Astra hatchback, 2004 on, have no experience of them. Seems to be a lot of them out there though, any thoughts on them, they would be in the specified price range and that and dont look too bad either?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'm sorry, it just isn't a terrible car. A CityRover is a terrible car, but not an Auris. For me a good car has to meet the needs and criteria of it's target market. I reckon 90% of people who buy an Auris diesel don't really care about how it handles because in a 1.4 diesel hatchback, handling is not the most important thing about it!

Supple suspension, a responsive throttle pedal and fast direct steering are important in a sports car but the Auris isn't a sports car so it's not fair to slate the handling of them.

They're also not that slow actually. The 1.4 petrol is roughly the same power wise as it's rivals and the 1.4 diesel is a nippy yoke. I think they are also quite comfortable and as said the interior is well designed but it feels like the materials are a bit cheap though.

Even still, for the type of people that buy that car, it does everything they need it too, they don't need sports suspension and a fast engine or a pluck luxury interior. They want reliability, good fuel economy and something that can take a bit of abuse and not have to worry about it. I think the Auris actually does all that and as such makes it a good car.

Still wouldn't buy one though. :pac:

• Advertisement

Regret of the day, toss up between trying Nandos Spicy sauce which should be renamed as HELLA HOT and F**cking recommending a Toyota Auris on this thread...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

haribos wrote: »
    hot hatches whatever they're called these days are all in and around the same... Nothing amazing has come out in years

Are you out of you're vulcan mind? ST, GTi, RS, Clio Sport, Clio V6, R26.R, vRS, Cooper S, Cupra, Type-R GT, Impreza Sti, Golf R, Giulietta, Brera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

May as well drive a 206....... or a toyota Starlet !!:p

Be much better off with a starlet... They go like a rocket and give zero trouble. Had 2 and drove the bejayaus out of em for 15 years.
    In the same time my old lad had two corsas... Sedate driving...and only did 3k a year and they both gave considerable trouble, admittedly his 97 one only gave trouble at the end(last year) with only 52 k on the clock, his 09 one is constantly in the garage. Neither of my starlets gave any trouble over 300k miles of abuse and a lack of maintenance. And did I say... They are quick!!!
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats wrong with an Ibiza or a Fabia?

Nothing major really, but the standard 1.2 is a little ahsmatic and the standard specification is lacking. A higher spec and better engined variant would make a good car of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Agreed, I rented out an 09 Ibiza 1.9 TDI with all the gear in Spain back in 09. It was a smashing car, sadly the 1.2 3 cylinder engines are rotten and spec is pretty miserly.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    hot hatches whatever they're called these days are all in and around the same... Nothing amazing has come out in years

Are you out of you're vulcan mind? ST, GTi, RS, Clio Sport, Clio V6, R26.R, vRS, Cooper S, Cupra, Type-R GT, Impreza Sti, Golf R, Giulietta, Brera.

Yes, these are all sensible family cars alright..........

Most of those are perfectly sercvicable family wagons tbh. They are based on normal family cars for the most part and bar fuel economy will be just as usable.

Most of those are perfectly sercvicable family wagons tbh. They are based on normal family cars for the most part and bar fuel economy will be just as usable.

Sorry, totally disagree. Family cars, come on seriously... Comes a time in your life when you have children that you leave your boy racer behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Heres a question whats the best small engine car that is cheap to tax and insure,easy to maintain,delivers a decent MPG for small to average commute roughly 40 km per day and also a run around.looking for a year 2008+
    Answers on a postcard please:pac:

Hi Aquila,

Are you any wiser following all our comments?

Which car interests you most now?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Im a bit:confused: tbh, I want something reliable,thats economical and parts not too expensive

I thought so!
    May I suggest looking at Carzone, identify 5 cars which meet your needs, preferences, engine size , budget etc. List same in your next post and see if we can get more objective feedback.

Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

What about a ford fiesta?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

martyc5674 wrote: »

Be much better off with a starlet... They go like a rocket and give zero trouble.

Great car for its class I agree but it's no rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

hot hatches whatever they're called these days are all in and around the same... Nothing amazing has come out in years, bought a Vw Scirocco there in 2010, think its still maybe the best looking hatch back, but too expensive

Hold on, you just moaned the fact that Hot-Hatches are all the same and there's nothing amazing. I supply you with a generous list of amazing Hot-Hatches and you complain that they are boy-racer cars and not family orientated?

Sorry, totally disagree. Family cars, come on seriously... Comes a time in your life when you have children that you leave your boy racer behind.

In what way does having a bit of power stop it from being a family car? In what way is a GTI less of a family car than any other golf? They can both do the school run, the shopping etc.

As for the boy racer bit your barstool is mighty high.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

anyone?

It was one of the recommendations on page one.

They are not bad little cars, tend to hold their value well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

I'm going to second the Toyota auris. I have had mines just over a year now and I can't fault it, don't know why they get a bad name on here! It's comfortable,reliable and economical. What more do you want?

Advertisement