Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine and oil light on In 2002, VW Golf 1.4

• 13-08-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26 colincolin

I'd bought the car second hand and discovered the engine light came on after a week, after speaking to a garage they told me that the 2002, 1.4 model I drive has a tendency to get a build up of carbon and as I don't drive it much I should take it on the open road to blast the carbon out.
    This worked for a time but the light came on again at the weekend I ignored it thinking it would go out again. On Monday I did a lot of mountain driving and after a day driving up and down the mountains the oil light came on so I pulled in and checked it to find the oil level had gone down low.
    I can't find any oil leaks either. It took a litre to top it up to the highest oil level as it had dropped to the lowest level from midway.
    The oil is topped up now but the oil light stays on and the engine light is still on too.
    Please any advise on the matter would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

colincolin wrote: »
    I'd bought the car second hand and discovered the engine light came on after a week, after speaking to a garage they told me that the 2002, 1.4 model I drive has a tendency to get a build up of carbon and as I don't drive it much I should take it on the open road to blast the carbon out.
    This worked for a time but the light came on again at the weekend I ignored it thinking it would go out again. On Monday I did a lot of mountain driving and after a day driving up and down the mountains the oil light came on so I pulled in and checked it to find the oil level had gone down low.
    I can't find any oil leaks either. It took a litre to top it up to the highest oil level as it had dropped to the lowest level from midway.
    The oil is topped up now but the oil light stays on and the engine light is still on too.

Don't want to scare you but the 1.4 16v golf engine has a reputation of using oil. Usually because of worn valve guides or past the piston rings. Its caused by the engine overheating at some point apparently. You'll need to check the oil every 500miles (you should do this regularly anyway) and record how much oil it is using. Also document the complaint that you made to the garage (time, date, person contacted etc.). The capacity is 1 litre between the max and min marks on the dipstick.

Is the car still in warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

How about you stop driving it before it becomes more damaged ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 colincolin

Ferris wrote: »
    Don't want to scare you but the 1.4 16v golf engine has a reputation of using oil. Usually because of worn valve guides or past the piston rings. Its caused by the engine overheating at some point apparently. You'll need to check the oil every 500miles (you should do this regularly anyway) and record how much oil it is using. Also document the complaint that you made to the garage (time, date, person contacted etc.). The capacity is 1 litre between the max and min marks on the dipstick.

Is the car still in warranty?

No its not I bought it in a private sale. I have it full of oil now but the oil light is still on and the engine light also? I put a litre of oil in which brought it from the very bottom of the dip stick to the top. Any ideas? It doesn't overheat at least going by the dash display, it goes up to the half way mark and then just sits there. I'm at a loss as to why the oil light doesn't go off I thought it would by the next day but its been since Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

No its not I bought it in a private sale. I have it full of oil now but the oil light is still on and the engine light also? I put a litre of oil in which brought it from the very bottom of the dip stick to the top. Any ideas? It doesn't overheat at least going by the dash display, it goes up to the half way mark and then just sits there. I'm at a loss as to why the oil light doesn't go off I thought it would by the next day but its been since Monday.

If the oil light is on and the oil is at the max level (check the manual!) then there is something wrong with the level indicator. This could also be down to dirty oil in the engine in which case it needs a flushing oil put through the engine. Also make sure that the oil is extracted through the sump drain and not by suction through the dipstick pipe.

If the engine light is on then you need to bring it to a good mechanic to diagnose the problem. You'll have to make a call as to whether its safe to drive while this is on. I have a good mechanic that used to do my golf but he's on the northside of dublin. You could ask on boards for contact details of a good mechanic in your area.

Also, keep checking the level, as long as the engine has oil then you mitagate the chances of damaging it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The oil light indicates low oil pressure, not low oil level. If your oil light is staying on, get it to a mechanic ASAP, you could have top end oil starvation which will be costly if not sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it's the red oil light then DON'T DRIVE THE CAR AT ALL.

I didn't write that in caps for the sake of it, even a few seconds with the red oil light on can be fatal, as in you'll be needing a new engine sort of fatal(not saying it will be).

Red oil light => low oil pressure(or alternatively low engine oil though that is usually only in cars without an orange oil light but since oil level is ok then that isn't an option here) => engine will probably go kaput if it's driven for too long in this condition => arm and a leg to get right.

Sometimes the oil light comes on when idling after an extended period of hard driving for a short time. There's nothing wrong with the light coming on like that, but you said it's still on long after it should have gone off.

It may be the orange oil light that the OP is describing, though that is highly unlikely because that one comes on when you don't have enough oil in the engine.

Or of course it could be a faulty sensor giving the car's computer the wrong information, and could be as simple as that, but let's not get our hopes up this soon;)!

The engine light may have come on because of this, I wouldn't get too worried about it for the moment, thought at worst it could mean the car needs a new catalytic converter, though OTOH it could be something as minor as the car's computer needing to be reset, and the carbon build up thing means that engine needs a good thrashing and that sorts out the problem, the main thing is don't drive the car(not even to the garage, get it towed or else call out a mechanic) until the red oil light is gone off.

Some VW engines do tend to burn a lot of oil though, perhaps the 1.4 16v is one of those engines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

OK this happened me recently(on a beach, car nearly got washed away, fastest run to the local shop EVER lol).
    Now the head etc. was done and one mechanic says the carbon has to build back up and that's why it's currently drinking oil. A mechanic in work says it's the valve oil seals, which i will probably do (involves removing head, therefore needs a new gasket, plus all the oil seals.)... Great fun i know.

When the oil light came on for me it beeped three times. I didn't drive the car and read the manual which basically gave out and said not to drive. I topped it up and drove home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

As I see it you have two issues, the oil light and the engine light. They are probably not connected.

The oil light could be a level light or an oil pressure light. If the engine was suffering loss of oli pressure it would have damage to itself in the time that you have been driving it so I would suspect that the light is either a level light or the pressure light is faulty.
    I have seen two passats with a problem where the level light came on due to low level and did not go out when the level was corrected. In both cases the problem was that the system is designed not to put the level off unless it sees the bonnet has been opened. The passats bonnet switches were faulty. Not sure if the Golf has this system and switch but it’s a possibility.

The engine light really needs to be diagnosed. It is often a false economy to ignore this warning light. Driving it hard is not a great suggestion to fix the problem.

I would suggest you look into the cause of the oil usage. Keep on eye on the level and the mileage you cover to check if you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Just one question for everyone who knows about Volkswagen cars, since i heard a lot of horror stories about Volkswagen engines, although i had a similar experience with one 2 years ago...
    Does Volkswagen Bora 1.4 and 1.6 engine suffer from the same problem as mentioned here such as burning oil because of the vorn valve seals and piston rings???
    And if they do what would be the best way to find that out??
    I m asking that because i was thinking about buying one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Had the same problem with a 1.4 golf 1999. Used about a litre of oil every 1,500 miles.

When I red the user manual it said that it was normal for the car to use some oil between services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Just one question for everyone who knows about Volkswagen cars, since i heard a lot of horror stories about Volkswagen engines, although i had a similar experience with one 2 years ago...
    Does Volkswagen Bora 1.4 and 1.6 engine suffer from the same problem as mentioned here such as burning oil because of the vorn valve seals and piston rings???
    And if they do what would be the best way to find that out??
    I m asking that because i was thinking about buying one.

Bora and Golf have the same engines. I think they ruled out the problem in the later years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The 98-01 1.4 gave trouble alright mopping up oil and pressure trouble and it was very hard to get new engines for them due to them being coded.
    The 1.6 was always a good engine though probably the last truly reliable VW engine.

No it's not a red light, both the engine and oil light are orange. I haven't noticed any difference with the driving of the car either. The oil is full it's just the oil light never went off after filling it and the engine light has also stayed on. Anyone know of a good reasonable mechanic in the Kildare area I'm near Newbridge, that can do a diagnostic on the car? Also how much should I expect to pay for the diagnostic?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That stuff they were telling you about carbon build up causing the engine light to come on and to drive it hard to fix it sounds a load of rubish. Get them to sort the problem and get a definite answer as to why the light is on.

It was the deactivation sensor under the bonnet that wasn't cutting the light out after I filled it up with oil. The engine light was coming on and staying on because another sensor was faulty. I had to get a diagnostic to find the problem and it now been sorted in a mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

It was the deactivation sensor under the bonnet that wasn't cutting the light out after I filled it up with oil. The engine light was coming on and staying on because another sensor was faulty. I had to get a diagnostic to find the problem and it now been sorted in a mechanic.
    Sweet! That's about the best possible outcome (unless of course it was an expensive sensor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

No its not I bought it in a private sale.

Sorry to hear that...
    I have it full of oil now but the oil light is still on and the engine light also? I put a litre of oil in which brought it from the very bottom of the dip stick to the top. Any ideas? It doesn't overheat at least going by the dash display, it goes up to the half way mark and then just sits there. I'm at a loss as to why the oil light doesn't go off I thought it would by the next day but its been since Monday.

Maybe the oil pressure switch is not operating correctly or you have a connection problem. What type of oil did you put in, was it 10W40 or a different specification of oil??? The engine fault light could be the EGR valve. Is the engine running ok, or is there a problem with engine performance???

Well the mechanic told me it was €230 from VW but he had brought some in from the UK and would let me have it for €150 so all in for work diagnostic and tax €250. Its €250 more than I wanted spend but lets’ face it, it could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Well the mechanic told me it was €230 from VW but he had brought some in from the UK and would let me have it for €150 so all in for work diagnostic and tax €250. Its €250 more than I wanted spend but lets’ face it, it could have been a lot worse.
    TBH it seems to be 100 quid minimum just to plug in the diagnostic unit in most places, so that's not a bad result at all.

Still, can't believe the oil warning light is linked to a bonnet sensor. What a completely unnecessary point of failure.

TBH it seems to be 100 quid minimum just to plug in the diagnostic unit in most places, so that's not a bad result at all.

Still, can't believe the oil warning light is linked to a bonnet sensor. What a completely unnecessary point of failure.

The bonnet sensor is just a bonnet switch. I too have wondered why this is this way. I must look into it some more. The only thing that comes to mind is that if the service reminder was reset but the bonnet was not opened then the oil could not have been changed. VW’s way of checking up maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that...

Maybe the oil pressure switch is not operating correctly or you have a connection problem. What type of oil did you put in, was it 10W40 or a different specification of oil??? The engine fault light could be the EGR valve. Is the engine running ok, or is there a problem with engine performance???

10W40 in a golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 god knows

My 37000 mile Golf 1.4 has a disinct knock on start up when cold. It gets a lot quieter when warm. I first got told to put a proper vw oil filter on but that never helped. I was then told it was piston slap but not to worry about it as it was very common for this engine. Anybody else had this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 god knows

Bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

god knows wrote: »
    My 37000 mile Golf 1.4 has a disinct knock on start up when cold. It gets a lot quieter when warm. I first got told to put a proper vw oil filter on but that never helped. I was then told it was piston slap but not to worry about it as it was very common for this engine. Anybody else had this problem?

Ya I had a 1.4 Golf too with the same thing. Awful sound for a petrol engine. Its a ****e engine unfortunately I wouldnt touch it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Sensors in the VW Golf are a load of w**k
    Got a mechanic to change timing belt on MKIV golf, engine light came on, brought back to the mechanic, he plugged in diagnostic tool, it said faulty o2 sensor. ( In fairness he said he probably tipped the sensor doing fan belt)
    Mechanic replaced o2 sensor, light came on again, it turned out that the o2 sensor was faulty so he replaced it.
    Light came on again.
    This time camshaft sensor, mechanic replaced the sensor,
    Light came on again.
    He went to VW garage and eventually they diagnosed fault as a faulty camshaft sensor, so there was two faulty new sensors.

And when you leave the lights on and open the drivers door, the chime doesnt make a noise, as the microswitch inside the door latch doesnt work,and to get the chime to work will involve getting whole new latch, so looking at 300e.
    If it was any other car, new sensor it would cost 3.00e as it would be attached to body of car.

Wont be getting a VW again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Richard13b

Just a quick "Thanks" to Mr Diagnostic. My girlfriend has a 2003 Golf 1.4 which tends to drink the oil a bit (but not 1 litre per 1000km as per the service book!). She let it go a bit low - the yellow level warning light and the dash text message all pointed to low oil - which was correct. She topped it up and the message / warning light remained - for about a month till I saw your post. Yes, the Golf has a dodgy bonnet switch, and yes it had fallen off, and yes, pressing the micro-switch cleared the fault! Thank you! (A pity the garage which charged her £120 for a new & unnecessary sensor hadn't seen your post too!)

Ferris wrote: »
    If the oil light is on and the oil is at the max level (check the manual!) then there is something wrong with the level indicator. This could also be down to dirty oil in the engine in which case it needs a flushing oil put through the engine. Also make sure that the oil is extracted through the sump drain and not by suction through the dipstick pipe.

If the engine light is on then you need to bring it to a good mechanic to diagnose the problem. You'll have to make a call as to whether its safe to drive while this is on. I have a good mechanic that used to do my golf but he's on the northside of dublin. You could ask on boards for contact details of a good mechanic in your area.

Also, keep checking the level, as long as the engine has oil then you mitagate the chances of damaging it further.

(1) Firstly drain out the engine oil, change the oil filter and oil, in case the oil filter is overdue a change and is causing an obstruction. This will cause a low oil pressure problem and cause your light to come on.

(2) If this doesn't resolve the issue, change the oil pressure switch in the engine...

You don't need to go "cleaning" the engine or flushing it or anything like that...

Both these tasks are extremely easy and should not take more than 20 minutes...

As for the engine fault light being on, probably the EGR valve, but you'll have to get it hooked up to a diagnostics system to know for sure...

Richard13b wrote: »
    Just a quick "Thanks" to Mr Diagnostic. My girlfriend has a 2003 Golf 1.4 which tends to drink the oil a bit (but not 1 litre per 1000km as per the service book!). She let it go a bit low - the yellow level warning light and the dash text message all pointed to low oil - which was correct. She topped it up and the message / warning light remained - for about a month till I saw your post. Yes, the Golf has a dodgy bonnet switch, and yes it had fallen off, and yes, pressing the micro-switch cleared the fault! Thank you! (A pity the garage which charged her £120 for a new & unnecessary sensor hadn't seen your post too!)

Glad to be of service and thanks for the thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Mr.David wrote: »
    Ya I had a 1.4 Golf too with the same thing. Awful sound for a petrol engine. Its a ****e engine unfortunately I wouldnt touch it again.

My old golf 1.4 petrol used to sound like a tractor!!

• Advertisement

Glad to be of service and thanks for the thanks. :D

I've some recollection of this thread before. Is it actually the case where VW have designed the engine light to only go off when the microswitch is operated by wiring it into the ECU??? What's the logic behind this, to prevent you from draining the oil and accidently forgetting to put new oil in???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Is it actually the case where VW have designed the engine light to only go off when the microswitch is operated by wiring it into the ECU???

No, nothing to do with the engine light or the engine ecu at all. The one in question is the amber oil level light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Resurrecting... I have the same problem (oil light being on despite engine being full of oil). It may be the bonnet switch/sensor, but I have closed the bonnet repeatedly and it is not triggering it. The oil light came on when I was driving and I was actually well above the minimum point on the dipstick.

So my question - am I safe to drive? I am going to bring it to my mechanic for a faulty sensor check, but I would assume that full oil in the car means that I won't do any damage and that the light is just faulty?

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Resurrecting... I have the same problem (oil light being on despite engine being full of oil). It may be the bonnet switch/sensor, but I have closed the bonnet repeatedly and it is not triggering it. The oil light came on when I was driving and I was actually well above the minimum point on the dipstick.

So my question - am I safe to drive? I am going to bring it to my mechanic for a faulty sensor check, but I would assume that full oil in the car means that I won't do any damage and that the light is just faulty?

Thanks for any advice.

Disconnect and reconnect your battery and it should go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Thanks I'll give that a try and report back with any results!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I found this when I was Googling a problem on my son's 1.4 Golf.
    He told me the "oil light" came on when he was driving it yesterday :eek:, I looked at the dipstick and it was right at the bottom :rolleyes:
    He also told me that he was convinced the light came on orange but when I looked at the dashboard the light he said came on was red :confused:.

I Googled it and found this thread and then I looked in the handbook and sure enough, the light will come on orange for low quantity and red for low pressure, I've never seen that before on any car I've ever had.

The handbook also said that the light extinguishes when you open the bonnet but will come back on again in 100km if you don't add oil, I presume its this bonnet switch which can play up and cause the issues mentioned here six years ago....:rolleyes:

The car does use rather a lot of oil but I don't know where it goes, theres absolutely no smoke out of the exhaust and the figures from the emissions test on the NCT are well within limits....

• Advertisement

The manual also says it needs oil every 1000km so buy some cheap oil and keep it topped up, I generally do it once a month
    Engine is terrible its way underpowered and drinks oil,it should have been 1.6

I topped it up for him today, he had it serviced a couple of months ago when the oil was last changed and since then he's done approx 1400 miles so I reckon a litre of oil every 1000 miles would be about right (I think I read somewhere that it takes one litre to bring the level up from the bottom to the top of the dipstick).
    Theres only 87000 miles on it, it runs really smooth and quiet with no rattles and not a trace of smoke out the back, I guess we'll just have to accept it and remember to check the level every few weeks.

Many years ago I owned a VW Scirocco 1.6 and that thing used to burn oil but with quite a visible puff of smoke on start up or if I took my foot off the accelerator briefly and then floored it. I was a bit more 'hands on' back then so I took the head off and replaced the valve stem oil seals and the piston rings, it drove well afterwards and although the smoke decreased considerably, it still continued to burn oil at a similar rate to my son's Golf.

Incidentally, what oil should we use? The mechanic that services it said semi synthetic but which spec (5/30, 10/40 etc) or does it really make a difference....?

5/30 it is then..... :)

5/30 it is then..... :)

its 10/40 for these

Yeah its 10w40 got it cheap in lidl a while ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaysis lads this thread is ancient, its about time it died at this stage. Start a new one if yee want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement