Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ford fiesta 01 catalytic converter

• 25-07-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

I was hoping maybe someone out there could shine some light on my car issue. A few months ago the Cat converter went on my car and the sensor, now i got the sensor replaced and had to leave the cat for a bit due to money etc... So today after bringing it to the garage that checked it last week to confirm the issue was still there, It has completely disappeared he said the error isn't showing. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Any advise would be great thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Sonz wrote: »
    I was hoping maybe someone out there could shine some light on my car issue. A few months ago the Cat converter went on my car and the sensor, now i got the sensor replaced and had to leave the cat for a bit due to money etc... So today after bringing it to the garage that checked it last week to confirm the issue was still there, It has completely disappeared he said the error isn't showing. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Any advise would be great thanks!

Do you know what the actual fault code was?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

I don't :/ I know the guy had the part for it ready, i dropped the car off this morning and came back later in the day and he said there was no more faults showing. Its strange because the car seems better. But they ran tests on the car 3 times in total in three different garages and they all said the cat was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

The cat could be gone and not set any fault code. Did the garage do an exhaust gas analysis or did they just read the stored fault codes from the on-board computer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Iirc they only have an upstream sensor so no fault will show as gasses will seem normal

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

dgt wrote: »
    Iirc they only have an upstream sensor so no fault will show as gasses will seem normal

For cars produced after and including 01, there were two lambda sensors.

It's unusual for a catalytic converter to fail on one of these cars. Usually it's coil packs and plug leads that go.
    Less common would be air flow meters and lambda sensors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

David09 wrote: »

It's unusual for a catalytic converter to fail on one of these cars. Usually it's coil packs and plug leads that go.

All cars designed after 01;) The likes of MK1 focus don't have two sensors up as far as 04.

Cat failures are a symptom of other issues, the most common of which are all of the items you mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

lifer_sean wrote: »
    The cat could be gone and not set any fault code. Did the garage do an exhaust gas analysis or did they just read the stored fault codes from the on-board computer ?

From as far as i know they read the code from the on board. I'm really not sure what to do with the car now, Strangely enough it seems to be driving alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

David09 wrote: »

A dodgy area but some manufacturers went Euro 3 before 2001. I don't think the Fiesta mk5 was one though. A fair few 01 cars would actually be made in 2000 anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Lads, I'm not for a moment doubting any of your knowledge or experience, but the 01 fiesta was definitely euro 3.
    I replaced an engine in one a few weeks ago and distinctly remember the car having two lambdas and it being different to a 00 fiesta that I owned myself which only had one.

Get the emissions checked to see if it needs a cat or not, would only cost you about 25 quid to check it

• Advertisement
Advertisement