Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway Speed check

• 26-07-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭

I have recently been clocked by a handheld speed gun on a motorway doing 125 km/h (speed as per my Sat Nav so I am figuring it is far more accurate than the dash). I haven't received anything in the post so was wondering is there some level of discretion given by the Gardaí? I know I was over the limit ( but it bugs me that they have speed checks on the safest roads in Ireland and not on the dangerous....anyway different argument) but am hoping I manage not to get points over it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have recently been clocked by a handheld speed gun on a motorway doing 125 km/h (speed as per my Sat Nav so I am figuring it is far more accurate than the dash). I haven't received anything in the post so was wondering is there some level of discretion given by the Gardaí? I know I was over the limit ( but it bugs me that they have speed checks on the safest roads in Ireland and not on the dangerous....anyway different argument) but am hoping I manage not to get points over it.

Thanks

Were you pulled over? I think it can take up to a few weeks to receive a fine however I'm not an expert.

You would get a lot more responses in the motor forum though:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

kingtut wrote: »
    Were you pulled over? I think it can take up to a few weeks to receive a fine however I'm not an expert.

You would get a lot more responses in the motor forum though:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

No wasn't pulled over.

Mods feel free to move to correct forum, thanks

My brother is a Garda and according to him the Gardai do have a margin of error, though I can't remember what it is. From what I hear the private GoSafe vans do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Karsini wrote: »
    From what I hear the private GoSafe vans do not.

This just reminded me that I haven't see one of these in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

No wasn't pulled over.

Mods feel free to move to correct forum, thanks

Nothing wrong with this forum I just thought you might get more replies in the other one :)

Hmm seeing as you were pulled over I'm not sure ... but still if it has not arrived in 3/4 weeks I'd say you are in the clear :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ollaetta wrote: »
    Karsini wrote: »
    From what I hear the private GoSafe vans do not.

This just reminded me that I haven't see one of these in ages.
    Possibly because the places they can park up are very limited? They are not allowed on private land or to park on the hard shoulder or where they might cause an obstruction to traffic. Basically they must obey the law wherever they park up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thanks

I'd say you won't here anything about it, I'd imagine very few Gardai would prosecute you for 5Kph over on a Motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If it was a handheld gun, wouldn't they have to pull him over anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

It was a tripod thingy alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Possibly because the places they can park up are very limited? They are not allowed on private land or to park on the hard shoulder or where they might cause an obstruction to traffic. Basically they must obey the law wherever they park up.
    Well on the M18 they stand on your lane and park the car in the hard shoulder, I thought it was all quite dangerous anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

According to a mate of mine in the know, they allow a 10% margin of error. So If you're in a 120kph zone then anything 131kph or under will be allowable. I know I've been caught doing 105 - 110kph in 100kph zones on a few occasions and never heard anything back about it.

Legal disclaimer: This could be complete pubtalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The margin for error is on your side, not theirs if that makes sense. The Lidar gun is dead accurate (±1km/h) type of spec. But as we all know, if your doing 120km/h by your speedo, your probably doing a fraction below that while some other cars are dead on. A such its not margin of error, there is no official ruling, its down to the Garda in question. Most Gardai I would imagine adopt a 'to be sure' policy i.e. 63 in a 60 to allow for any gun error and also so the person being targeted is well aware they are over.

Saying all of that though, Ireland has no law stating the gun has to be in working order etc etc. So its just a Garda's word against yours in court.

GoSafe vans however have a somewhat official margin of 4km/h down from 8km/h before Christmas.

Back to the OPs question though, it's unlikely your were caught. TriPod cameras are not common in the Gardai at the moment. And Laser can be operated on a TriPod without a camera attached. In fact its encouraged to avoid wobble and operator slip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

foggy_lad wrote: »

Not sure they all heed those rules. I travel the old N6 into work everyday and one of the vans would be regularly parked in front of some farmers gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

If the go safe van was parked in your gate way on the side of a road could you ask them to move?

Op I cant see a guard doing you for 5kph over the limit on a motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sean1141 wrote: »
    If the go safe van was parked in your gate way on the side of a road could you ask them to move?

Op I cant see a guard doing you for 5kph over the limit on a motorway
    I see no reason why not, they're a private company and blocking entrance to your property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I didnt know this,

i thought you would have to be pulled over if the guys had the gun set up on the tri pod ?

Does that pick up reg plates too ?

Advertisement