Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q/A - Google Music!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Never bothered with kis when I had a samsung, just dragged and dropped and let whatever music app I was using sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

eoing1 wrote: »
    It seems you can only upload from a computer :(
    If thats what your asking :confused:
    Thanks for helping out!

Great to see so many people are finding this helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 paradiddler86

Has anyone any idea when google music will officially be available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Has anyone any idea when google music will officially be available in Ireland?
    Google have a large conference Google I/O in May. I'd expect them to launch some new additions to Google Music during that and I think a wider rollout in Europe (with hopefully a native iOS app) will be it.

Back in November Google signed an agreement with Armonia, one of the largest alliances of music publishers in the world, giving it access to 5.5 million tracks across 35 European Countries.

This was an important deal as usually agreements are on a country by country basic which is why you'll have Google Music, Movies and books in some countries but not in others and all launched at different times.

As May is 6 months after the Armonia deal it would be enough time to cross the 'T' and dot the 'i' enabling a full European launch.

Well... fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just got around to installing this. It was very easy when following the instructions!

Thanks fredotf2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Your phone is not full because you don't put all your music on it! Other people do and thus aren't relying on a permanent internet connection to access their music.

I'm not sure why I would want to take out the SD card regularly? When I read/write to/from it I use Airdroid or connect it to the PC. Same with my tablet, it would be useless with no SD card as I'd only be able to fit a couple of films on it with the small internal storage a lot of devices have.

You don't need a permanent internet connection!

How has this not been said already!?

You can make music available offline too.

Google Music is great. I've been using it for since it went live in the States (2.5 years ago I think).

Download some songs, Google music manager uploads them to the cloud, get them on your device instantly without the hassle of syncing. Your entire music collection at your fingertips anywhere.

You can download them to another PC if you want. Zero restrictions. Zero hassle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

HTML5! wrote: »
    You don't need a permanent internet connection!

How has this not been said already!?

You can make music available offline too.

Google Music is great. I've been using it for since it went live in the States (2.5 years ago I think).

Download some songs, Google music manager uploads them to the cloud, get them on your device instantly without the hassle of syncing. Your entire music collection at your fingertips anywhere.

You can download them to another PC if you want. Zero restrictions. Zero hassle.

By what black magic can you get music on your device without either syncing or using an internet connection?

How long does it take to upload 32GB of music to the cloud as opposed to an SD card? How is that less hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What he means is, once your music is in the cloud it becomes very simple to pin music to the device (which downloads it from the cloud for offline use) which is even simpler than copying to an SD card. I myself have 25GB+ uploaded to Google Music so far, it's handy that when I visited my sister in the States I had my decent music collection with me and could login on her PC and download a copy of the lot. I also had a few albums pinned so I could listen to them on the plane. But I have a data package, so I have access to the full collection most of the time while out and about in Irl.

It's easier and less hassle to upload and download gigabytes of files than to copy? :confused:

It's easier and less hassle to upload and download gigabytes of files than to copy? :confused:

You're not understanding this move to cloud computing thing then. The idea is you put it in the cloud, then you have no need to handle a local copy.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm not understanding it or maybe it's just an emperor's new clothes thing. The idea that 'needing to handle' a local copy of something, whatever that means, escapes me completely. The point of taking something I have, copying it to the cloud and then downloading it again seems utterly redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe I'm not understanding it or maybe it's just an emperor's new clothes thing. The idea that 'needing to handle' a local copy of something, whatever that means, escapes me completely. The point of taking something I have, copying it to the cloud and then downloading it again seems utterly redundant.

Accessing my music from any android phone or any desktop PC on the planet regardless of where i am....

How is this hard to grasp?

You've laid your stall out already. Its clear you dont 'get' this free service so best leave the thread to people who appreciate the effort the OP has gone to in the write up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

My two major issues with streaming music as opposed to playing it off an SD card:

- 3g is a battery killer (on my phone anyway)
    - health concerns (don't like excessive wireless streaming/downloading)

listermint wrote: »
    Accessing my music from any android phone or any desktop PC on the planet regardless of where i am....

How is this hard to grasp?

What's hard to grasp is that I can access my music regardless of where I am on the planet simply by pressing play on my phone - it even works on an aeroplane or in rural Kilkenny - which is not the case if I were to upload the lot to the cloud. I haven't heard any single cogent reason as to why the cloud is better than local storage.

What's hard to grasp is that I can access my music regardless of where I am on the planet simply by pressing play on my phone - it even works on an aeroplane or in rural Kilkenny - which is not the case if I were to upload the lot to the cloud. I haven't heard any single cogent reason as to why the cloud is better than local storage.

Im out, you just arent getting it.

There's really not much to get, is there?

Right fine il entertain you then. How is it any different than for instance SkyDrive , Apple Cloud or whatever they call it and Google Drive.

Accessing my data from anywhere. If thats not class then i dont know what is. Im not tied to a poxy SD card on 1 device. I can access my stuff from ANY device.

Is this as a concept hard to get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well for one thing it means you can have access to your entire collection rather than a small subset of it. My music collection (sorted & organised portion at least) for example is currently 56.7gb whereas the total capacity of my phone is about 16gb so theres no way in hell I could put everything on the phone now if I wanted to. Secondly, if I add a new album to my computer then I have to add it to my phone and my tablet individually; not a major hardship but still an inconvenience. If my collection was on the cloud then I'll see the entire collection on my phone or tablet without having to do anything else plus I'm not filling up the whole device which saves space for other things. Given that more and more devices are shipping without an sd card slot means that space on the device is going to be at a premium so I dont want to be loading up an album I havent listened to in years just on the off chance I might want to listen to it at some stage then find I dont have space for a movie, game etc.

Saying that of course, I dont actually use Google Music and personally I dont like other people being in control of my data but they have my email so I suppose why not my music? Granted, they'll never have the master copy of my collection - I'll be keeping control of that myself and be using them more as a backup if or when I do signup.

listermint wrote: »
    Right fine il entertain you then. How is it any different than for instance SkyDrive , Apple Cloud or whatever they call it and Google Drive.

Accessing my data from anywhere. If thats not class then i dont know what is. Im not tied to a poxy SD card on 1 device. I can access my stuff from ANY device.

Is this as a concept hard to get ?

As a concept, I guess not, but in reality it seems far less useful. I just can't imagine a scenario where I don't have my phone and someone else gives me one to listen to my music on. I don't know anyone that uses a tablet to play music on the move.

Can you listen to music from your Play account on your car stereo for example?
    JohnK wrote:
    Given that more and more devices are shipping without an sd card slot means that space on the device is going to be at a premium
    This is my major gripe, to be honest. There's no justifiable reason for not putting SD card slots in phones. Storage has been getting exponentially cheaper for decades and all of a sudden it's becoming restricted to push people into using the cloud. It's dumb. One the one hand you have phones like the Galaxy S3 which improve external storage to 64GB and at the same time the likes of the Nexus 4 has 0.

You're just stuck in the past, owning music, having something you own. Media moved from being something physical a long time ago with the move to digital, but it has now become something you subscribe to, nothing physical to it at all. I have two teenage kids, neither of whom actually own any music, not a single song. To them music is something you stream from Youtube, they make playlists to play while they study. Google Play isn't just about uploading your own music, it's a Store where you can add new music to your collection and share with all your devices.

Netflix and Spotify are other examples, I suppose you don't get these either

• Advertisement

As a concept, I guess not, but in reality it seems far less useful. I just can't imagine a scenario where I don't have my phone and someone else gives me one to listen to my music on. I don't know anyone that uses a tablet to play music on the move.

This is my major gripe, to be honest. There's no justifiable reason for not putting SD card slots in phones. Storage has been getting exponentially cheaper for decades and all of a sudden it's becoming restricted to push people into using the cloud. It's dumb. One the one hand you have phones like the Galaxy S3 which improve external storage to 64GB and at the same time the likes of the Nexus 4 has 0.

Yes I do know people that play music from their tablets and Laptops for example.

Also Yes i can connect car my stereo as its a touchscreen Android Stereo, so play is.. well superb.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Netflix and Spotify are other examples, I suppose you don't get these either

You're right, I don't. I've never used Netflix but I gather it involves paying for a small collection of out of date films and TV programs and hoping your internet connection stays strong enough so that it doesn't cut out half way through. Never used Spotify either but it just seems to be YouTube with no video which doesn't work on linux.

You're right, I don't. I've never used Netflix but I gather it involves paying for a small collection of out of date films and TV programs and hoping your internet connection stays strong enough so that it doesn't cut out half way through. Never used Spotify either but it just seems to be YouTube with no video which doesn't work on linux.

ROFL

What Internet speeds are you getting at home, I can run Netflix. My Linux receiver and play xbox live if required at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ardent wrote: »
    My two major issues with streaming music as opposed to playing it off an SD card:

- 3g is a battery killer (on my phone anyway)
    - health concerns (don't like excessive wireless streaming/downloading)

I'm just gonna:

inb4 pseudoscience.

What have you got? A piece of string and two tin cans? Netflix only needs about 1.5mbit for SD. And it's only 7 quid per month, a single DVD rental has always been about a fiver

Oh and i missed this part. How could i!

What the hell is an 'out of date film' ? Can you tell it by the mouldy blue bits on it ?

Very easy if you have a bluetooth stereo

It's just the Google Nexus devices. The idea is that with the Google cloud services you don't need added storage. Much like their ChromeOS doesn't save anything locally, all in the cloud. I have a data package and connectivity most of the time. I bought an 8GB Nexus 7 and will most likely buy the Nexus 4, I've realised I don't need the storage. The storage on my S3 is sitting pretty empty right now.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What have you got? A piece of string and two tin cans? Netflix only needs about 1.5mbit for SD. And it's only 7 quid per month, a single DVD rental has always been about a fiver

DVD rentals? Standard definition? And I'm living in the past :D
    What the hell is an 'out of date film' ?
    It's the opposite of a 'New release'. Yeah, personally I couldn't give a toss what age the films I watch are but people pay a premium to watch recent releases.
    The idea is that with the Google cloud services you don't need added storage.

Google/Sony telling what you do and don't need? Trying to force me to pay for data packages? No thanks, I'll make up my own mind based on my own requirements. Which was, I thought, one of the positive points of Android and other X based OSes.
    Yes I do know people that play music from their tablets and Laptops for example
    Android Tablets with 3G are fairly thin on the ground, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I haven't heard any single cogent reason as to why the cloud is better than local storage.
    Same was said about why MP3's are better than CD's - Google is just going ahead of the game, same as Apple, Amazon. We just need broadband speeds to catchup ;)

• Advertisement

DVD rentals? Standard definition? And I'm living in the past :D

It's the opposite of a 'New release'. Yeah, personally I couldn't give a toss what age the films I watch are but people pay a premium to watch recent releases.

Google/Sony telling what you do and don't need? Trying to force me to pay for data packages? No thanks, I'll make up my own mind based on my own requirements. Which was, I thought, one of the positive points of Android and other X based OSes.

Android Tablets with 3G are fairly thin on the ground, I thought.

Oh FFS, stop trolling the thread. We understand, you don't get it. No need to thread spoil with your awkwardness.

Advertisement