Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting a phone and Insurance

Options
  • 12-04-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

Would having your phone routed effect an insurance claim?

I feel stupid for asking, but I'm paranoid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I would doubt it. What kind of insurance claim is it? For lost/stolen claim it won't make a difference as your phone is gone.

For repair your warranty will/may be void so that is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

nedd wrote: »
    I would doubt it. What kind of insurance claim is it? For lost/stolen claim it won't make a difference as your phone is gone.

For repair your warranty will/may be void so that is different.

Rapair, water damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What manufacturer? Sony for one have been upfront in saying that unless you were overclocking or doing something silly they dont care.

In a lot of cases with a hardware fault they wont even look. If you can still boot it up and flash it then wipe it back to stock, they wont know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ED E wrote: »
    What manufacturer? Sony for one have been upfront in saying that unless you were overclocking or doing something silly they dont care.

In a lot of cases with a hardware fault they wont even look. If you can still boot it up and flash it then wipe it back to stock, they wont know any different.

There is an understood compulsory warranty period in the EU, under Consumer legislation, and unless you have done something stupid which damages the Hardware, you cannot be denied a remedy for a faulty phone, rooted or not....

here is some reading which may clarify:

http://matija.suklje.name/rooting-and-flashing-your-device-does-not-void-the-warranty-in-eu
    So, we finally come to the question of rooting, flashing and changing the software. Unless the seller can prove that modifying the software, rooting your device or flashing it with some other OS or firmware was the cause for the defect, you are still covered for defects during those 2 years. A good test to see if it is the software’s fault is to flash it back with stock firmware/OS and see if the problem persists. If it does, it is not a software-caused problem. If it is not possible to revert it stock software any more, it is also not a software-caused defect. There are very few hardware defects that are caused by software — e.g. overriding the speaker volume above the safe level could blow the speaker.

Many manufacturers of consumer devices write into their warranties a paragraph that by changing the software or “rooting” your device, you void the warranty. You have to understand that in EU we have a “statutory warranty”, which is compulsory that the seller must offer by law (Directive 1999/44/CE, §7.1) and a “voluntary warranty” which the seller or manufacturer can, but does not need to, offer as an additional service to the consumer. Usually the “voluntary warranty” covers a longer period of time or additional accidents not covered by law6. If though the seller, the manufacturer or anyone else offers a “voluntary warranty”, he is bound to it as well!

So, even if, by any chance your “voluntary warranty” got voided, by European law, you should still have the 2 year “compulsory warranty” as it is described in the Directive and which is the topic of this article.

In case the seller refuses your right to repair or replace the device, you can sue him in a civil litigation and can report the incident to the national authority. In many European countries such action does not even require hiring a lawyer and is most of the time ensured by consumers associations.

The warranty under this Directive is only applicable inside the European Union and only if you bought the device as a consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There is an understood compulsory warranty period in the EU, under Consumer legislation, and unless you have done something stupid which damages the Hardware, you cannot be denied a remedy for a faulty phone, rooted or not....

here is some reading which may clarify:

http://matija.suklje.name/rooting-and-flashing-your-device-does-not-void-the-warranty-in-eu

Thats your statutory rights, not optional insurance. And water damage is nothing to do with your statutory rights unless you buy a waterproof phone. Read before you reply ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ED E wrote: »
    Thats your statutory rights, not optional insurance. And water damage is nothing to do with your statutory rights unless you buy a waterproof phone. Read before you reply ^^

you're right mate...

I did not see the water damage thing...insurance case!!

but be fair, it is good info, if it was about what I thought it was about when I responded and failed to notice de wather...

I spent most of today installing a new shower in our home...maybe that's why I didn't notice!!

anyways, thanks for giving me a well-deserved kick up the hole, and I'm not even a Bishop :p

Kick-someone-up-the-arse-Bishop-Brennan.jpg

I've actually added insurance to my phone contract for the first time in 4 or 5 years, mainly because I bought my phone outright and it just seems so much more valuable!

You won't have any problems with insurance if your phone is rooted. My main concern is how much harder it is to make a claim, compared to when I last had insurance. For example, when I said that I have a two year old, and if he grabbed my phone and threw it across the room and smashed it, would I be insured? She said no, as I didn't take due care. Then, she said that if I gave the phone to him to make a call (who does that with a 2 year old?!) and he dropped it, I would be covered.....bizarre.

Advertisement