Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Credit Rating :(

Options
  • 03-02-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Ok here's the story
    Two years ago I paid off what was owed on a credit card bill.
    What I didn't know is that the credit card had already been been written off :(
    Now I have a bad credit rating for another 3 years or so, even though I paid what was owed.
    Just got turned down for a car loan.
    I'm guessing it's a case of shut up and take my medicine.....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

have you viewed your credit record with ICB? Just to be certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Written off means very little. The bank wrote it off as a bad debt and they felt unlikely they could recover it. They often then pass it on to a debt collection company or to their in house legal team to recover the debt.

It was then paid which is fair enough but this does not mean you get it cleared off your credit record that it was a bad debt before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Aye. What I thought.
    Ah well, my own fault really.
    Now to find some alternative ways of financing

Thanks

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Waynesireland

I wouldn't just throw in the towel, if you can give honest reason as to why the visa got to that stage where it had to be written off (ie did you loose job, what happened your income that you couldn't meet repay, can you clarify that you couldn't pay rather than you wouldn't pay) and you can show that the debt was cleared as soon as you were in a position to repay, then any Bank would talk to you. From your comment I'm guessing you applied online or through some automated way? I would def recommend talking to Bank in person, be fully transparent with what happened and that it is now resolved and ask them to have a fresh look for you.
    After all if every person who fell into financial difficulty over past few years was to never seek finance again, what hope has this little economy of ours in ever picking up,

Try it, expect nothing, anything else is a bonus ay!!!

Thanks for the advice.
    Honestly it was a long term relationship breaking down and taking over everything in my life so I don't see the bank seeing that as a legitimate reason. :(
    Talked on the phone to them and they confirmed that it'll be 5 years from the date of repayment

HB

• Advertisement

Majority of credit unions don't send info to icb and therefore don't have access to checking it either also ......😜

Indeed.
    I've been a credit union member for 20+ years though it's a while since I've used the account.
    It's prob the route I'm gonna go down, save a few grand over a few months and get the cash that way :)

HB

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Majority of credit unions don't send info to icb and therefore don't have access to checking it either also ......😜

Incorrect. These days most are, and the rest on their way to being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Incorrect. These days most are, and the rest on their way to being.

I concur with BuffyBot - most credit unions do now check credit ratings when doing loan approvals etc.

Ok update. I applied to the Irish Credit Bureau for my credit report, just to see where I stand. It was waiting for me at home today. It states that..... They have NO DATA pertaining to me.... Lol. Will be ringing then tomorrow so

• Advertisement

Did you receive a decline reason for the car loan, Banks are required to provide a reason. I'm not asking what it was obviously that is your own business but just to make sure you know why declined so you can address same for future.

Advertisement