Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Cooking Club Week 22: Peanut Butter Granola and Breakfast Bars

• 06-06-2014 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

or

Two Ways With Oats :)

I don't know about you but I require a really good, substantial breakfast to get me through the day. However I also require a lot of sleep and am not very inclined to make something hearty at the crack of dawn before work. My solution is to make these babies on the weekend, and thus breakfasts for the week are sorted.

Both recipes are very versatile, and can be adjusted to your taste with the addition of lots of different kinds of seeds, dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips and anything else that you might like.

I really hope you enjoy them. They are both scrumptious and reasonably good for you.

Granola

This recipe makes approximately 16 servings of around 50g. I filled two 1 litre mason jars with it.

600g of oats
    80g brown sugar (you can add less or none as you wish - adding instead dried fruit like raisins or cranberries to add sweetness)
    100g peanut butter
    50g butter
    Pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 180.

Melt together the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and salt - a minute in the microwave will do it. Pour the melted mixture over the oats.

Stir together well.

k9coky.jpg

Spread thinly across two baking trays and bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy and golden.

Allow to cool and store in mason jars.

2d8l0g.jpg

Eat with milk or natural yoghurt for a gorgeous, simple, crunchy breakfast. :)

s6j2c8.jpg

Breakfast Bars

This recipe makes 10 bars.

Ingredients

180g pitted dates (1 cup)
    140g oats (1.5 cups)
    170g whole almonds (1 cup)
    30g coconut oil (1/8 cup)
    100g crunchy peanut butter (1/4 cup)
    1/2 tsp ground sea salt (or 1/4 tsp table salt)

Set the oven to 175 C. Allow to preheat, and then lightly toast the oats and almonds for 10-15 minutes until golden and aromatic.

Put the dates into the food processor and whizz until it becomes a ball of dough. If the dates are too dry and seem bitty, add a few teaspoons of water as they are whizzing until a date-paste is formed. If you do not have a food processor, simply boil the dates for a few minutes in water, then remove from the water and finely chop/mash to a paste.

Put the peanut butter (or any nut butter) into a jug with the salt and coconut oil and melt in the microwave for one minute. Stir well.

Line a square baking tin with a smear of butter (to adhere) and baking parchment.

Put the dates and the toasted oats and almonds into a big bowl. Pour the melted nut butter, coconut oil and salt on top. Stir well until combined, and press into the baking tin. Use your palms to really press it down firmly.

2820ylj.jpg

Chill in the fridge for a few hours. Remove and cut into delicious, nutritious breakfast bars. Keep in the fridge.

1601wrc.jpg

35koq2r.jpg

Yum!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Fantastic recipes! And for breakfast too! I love it, thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

These look great. I'm really lazy when it comes to breakfast and always end up having a croissant with tea or something similar when I get into work. These look like a great alternative.

Closed account :(

Thanks for the recipe dipdip! Looks delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Those bars look delish, is coconut oil easily available?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

eviltwin wrote: »
    Those bars look delish, is coconut oil easily available?

SHould be easily available in health food stores. I've even seen it in my local Tesco Metro, although at a premium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Faith wrote: »
    SHould be easily available in health food stores. I've even seen it in my local Tesco Metro, although at a premium!

Also available from the Asian markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Made the Granola tonight, still need to get dates to make the bars, going to mix Almonds & Pecans in the bars, instead of all Almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

Id love to make these but hate coconut. Is these something that I could replace the coconut oil with? Or could I leave it out?

eviltwin wrote: »
    ......is coconut oil easily available?

I actually saw a display stand of it (organic) in my local Supervalu this evening. Didn't catch the price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Charlie 08 wrote: »
    Id love to make these but hate coconut. Is these something that I could replace the coconut oil with? Or could I leave it out?

I am the same. Even if I got a tub of it for this, it would be likely to go to waste.
    Has anyone used and substitutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭NinetyForNone

There's a cheap tasteless Ktc brand coconut oil going in Tesco for 1.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

ElleEm wrote: »
    I am the same. Even if I got a tub of it for this, it would be likely to go to waste.
    Has anyone used and substitutes?

Health warning: I haven't tried these yet, so I'm guessing!

That said, it's just oil. I'd replace it with sunflower oil, personally.

Here is my attempt at the breakfast bars. I am not a huge lover of almonds so I used peanuts, hazlenuts and pecans instead. They are delicious, so dense and filling. I ended up using the coconut oil in the end, the flavour doesn't come through at all, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭swine

Those bars look delicious! I'm the worst for breakfast (I bought a Kellogs breakfast bar from a vending machine earlier today /shameface). Something like this looks great. Will definitely be giving these a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Mhmmmmm, dem bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I have the granola toasting in the oven, used Nutella instead of peanut butter, cos I'm healthy like that, looks amazing, can't wait!! Thanks dipdip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Made the breakfast bars yesterday with almond butter absolutely delicious. Must try the granola :)

Made the bars last night, and while they kinda fell apart they were still great! Will make more of these.

I really love the bars, but I have had two separate people telling me they would be way better with a bit of chocolate, so I may try melting a bit of chocolate on top, or adding chocolate chips next time. Mmmmmm, next time!

These are now my cycling food! Love them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made the bars yesterday and they really are amazing. I'll be making them regularly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I really like these bars, made them a few days ago! Are they meant to be very soft/crumbly? Mine keep falling apart but I don't mind hoovering up the crumbs :D They're so filling too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mine were crumbly too, I had to open the tub regularly and pick out all the spare pieces :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I make variations of these bars a lot. Having one at my desk today. :)

I use whatever nuts we have in the press - this time I used a mixture of sliced almonds, pecans and walnuts - and almond butter as I don't like peanut butter. I also added shredded coconut and dark chocolate chips.

348568.jpg

Great recipe. Thanks, OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I made the bars at the weekend. It was a bit soft and flakey, and a little salty (think I will omit the extra salt next time), but will definately make it again.

I might even get a bit more adventurous and add in some extra fruits and maybe some chocolate chips next time :)

Thanks OP.... it was gobbled down in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Has anyone tried making these with protein?

Has anyone tried making these with protein?
    I don't think they'd be great with chicken tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I don't think they'd be great with chicken tbh

Cheers - love the feeling of my coffee going up my nose :D:D

I made the granola yesterday with added flaked almonds, and it's yummy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement